Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 AM

296 posts, read 364,349 times

Advertisements

Any advice big or small would be useful!

We are settling into our new home in Tempe. Predominately having lived in the Midwest and only owning a home once before, I know very little about dealing with this alien yard we now possess.

The front yard is a desert landscape without rock, but it was done in a pleasing way. It doesn't have any rock and I like it that way. (Hopefully cut down on the heat effect as well.)

Our backyard has two patios and fair amount of stone work (half the yard in fact.) When we bought the home it had some struggling grass in the back but I'd rather have desert landscape back there as well. We haven't watered and it has pretty much died off.

The ultimate plan is to plant more native cactus, desert plants, trees, and bushes that require little water. We don't have an irrigation system so whatever we plant we have to hand water and we have little desire to continue that long term.

Most of the plants in our yard are completely alien to me. I'm going to need help in that area but that is another thread entirely.

Right now I'm at a loss at exactly what to do. Please understand I'm really new at this so any basic information is welcome and certainly won't make me feel offended.

I've read about spraying with Roundup or Vinegar/dish soap home mixtures. This feels like a stupid question but once you spray the plants and they die how do you manage the dead weeds?

There are a couple areas in which I don't want anything to grow such as a front (soon to be gravel) walkway, along the driveway, in cracks of stone work. I've thought about literally salting the earth in these places as I'm afraid to use something like Ground clear will spread too much.

It is evident we are going to need to use a pre-emergent especially since we have let the weeds go. How many times a year should we use one?

I'm also intrigued by other solutions such as propane weed burner. Has anyone used one of these?

It would just be really nice to know what other people's weed killing routines are. What do you use? How often do you engage in weed control? What exactly does your routine consist of?

If you use a service how much does it cost and how often do they come out?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post

I'm also intrigued by other solutions such as propane weed burner. Has anyone used one of these?
I have no idea where you live and what's around you but this sounds like a horrible idea considering how dry everything is out here and how quick winds can show up.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM

296 posts, read 364,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I have no idea where you live and what's around you but this sounds like a horrible idea considering how dry everything is out here and how quick winds can show up.
To use it properly you don't actually set the weeds on fire, but you sap them of their moisture with the flame. But used incorrectly I could see it being a really bad idea.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 PM

246 posts, read 400,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
To use it properly you don't actually set the weeds on fire, but you sap them of their moisture with the flame. But used incorrectly I could see it being a really bad idea.
I use one at times and yes, if you're not paying attention you can get in trouble quickly or melt a drip line or two, that sort of thing. We try to not use any chemicals in our yard and the propane torch is great for taking care of a good amount of weeds pretty quickly in areas where you don't have plants you want to keep or drip lines. Getting weeds with this in areas we can makes pulling the remaining weeds (in places you shouldn't use the torch) seem like a much more manageable job. We found out about using one from talking to a neighbor down the street who was using one when we were first making an offer on the house we subsequently bought.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM

551 posts, read 693,211 times
Vinegar won't do anything. Your best bet is to spray Groundclear, and do it in the morning. Do it well before any rain and maybe spot treatment after rains. If you do it properly, you really only need to do it twice a year. Some parts of your lawn will be 'hotspots' for weeds more than others. I just use a weedeater and Groundclear and it is fairly managed. If anything gets too out of control, it is easy to take care of after the chemicals chew the weeds up. Keep it away from any plants you want to keep though.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times
Ortho Groundclear is all you need. Spray it everywhere you don't want anything to grow, just stay a foot away from plants. I'm a part time resident and I spray it twice a year on my properties and it works just fine AND dandy. NO REASON TO "BATTLE" WEEDS..JUST KILL THEM dead!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Ortho Groundclear is all you need. Spray it everywhere you don't want anything to grow, just stay a foot away from plants. I'm a part time resident and I spray it twice a year on my properties and it works just fine AND dandy. NO REASON TO "BATTLE" WEEDS..JUST KILL THEM dead!

Does Groundclear kill existing weeds AND act as a preemergent preventing additional weeds? If so, then one product is enough, but most preemergents are not weed killers, and vice versa.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
I use a product from Tractor Supply called "Barrier" (I'm sure it is also available at other stores), it is glyphosate (roundup) and a pre-emergent, spray twice a year and NOTHING grows

Dead weeds, bend over, grasp firmly, and pull, throw in garbage, do that a few thousand times and you will know why I use Barrier

Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Does Groundclear kill existing weeds AND act as a preemergent preventing additional weeds? If so, then one product is enough, but most preemergents are not weed killers, and vice versa.

It kills everything that is growing and it keeps them from growing at least that's my experience. ..I get a few weeds in the winter but that's about all and usually they grow in wet places like where the eves run off or next to a plant that I have avoided getting to close to with Groundclear.

"Kills weeds and prevents new growth for up to 1 year" Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate If you read the reviews they are mixed. Obviously this stuff works the best in places like AZ with little rain but using it in Washington State or Maine will head different results.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Groundclear's documentation claims that it is a pre-emergent and a post emergent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden