Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times

Advertisements

Removing lawn and planting food instead (vegetables and herbs, etc) - I heard about this "movement" in places which don't have restrictive HOA rules... doing this basically eliminates the need to care for a useless lawn and replaces it with a yard of function.

Has anyone here ever done this on their property? Any tips/advice for others who want to try it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Get a goat!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM

579 posts, read 522,149 times
Yep, I've done it. I still have grass problems and it took two years for the soil to become completely usable for a food garden. The initial outlay can become considerable if you are in a hurry because you have to truck in seriously good compost and fertilizer and make raised beds. The third year is when it really takes off.

Start in the fall is absolutely necessary.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Edible Landscaping by Rosalind Creasy has some excellent suggestions on how to landscape with fruits and vegetables. Maybe start that way before converting your entire yard into a food garden?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:49 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Get a goat!
Goats are herd animals.....being the lone goat does not make for a happy goat.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:51 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Goats are herd animals.....being the lone goat does not make for a happy goat.
Get 2, the more the merrier!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
Removing lawn and planting food instead (vegetables and herbs, etc) - I heard about this "movement" in places which don't have restrictive HOA rules... doing this basically eliminates the need to care for a useless lawn and replaces it with a yard of function.

Has anyone here ever done this on their property? Any tips/advice for others who want to try it?
Had often thought about it. Have a large area behind my garage and slightly terraced which I thought would be cool to start a garden with corn,melons ,beans etc. Would have to bring in alot of top soil and figure out how to keep the ground hogs,squirrels and other critters out.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:49 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Don't need soil to grow food. You can go hydroponics with old barrels and similar. Oh so many creative designs on Youtube. You can also go to motherearth site, it's fully dedicated to homesteading.
Best fertilizer ever is one produced by your animals. You can set a part of your yard for some livestock, then put their dookie into a compost mound and voila.
We started with four garden beds, added 3 more, now we have over 60 chickens, 2 compost mounds... We slowly but steadily lean to forgoing 27 000 sf of grass to mow and turning it into some food source area. But it takes couple years for soil to become useful.
It's a lot of work, kiddo. And you'll need to learn how to do preserves and dig a cellar. As winter time, when nothing grows - preserves come oh so handy.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The only sunny spot in my yard with a large 2 story house and 100' fir trees is the side lawn (corner lot). In order to grow a vegetable garden I put in a 7'x12' greenhouse right in the middle of it, and plan enlarge it next spring. With our short growing season, the deer, rabbits and squirrels it's impossible to grow without greenhouse. This is but the 4th year and since we did it several of the neighbors have done the same, some much larger. We still have a front lawn and part of the side for the grandkids to play when they come over. This year we had lettuce, spinach, peas and kale early on, now tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplant and green beans. All in that small space by growing a much as possible tall on bamboo stakes. Well worth it for the pick and eat treat, especially the tomatoes that are like nothing you get at the store or even farmer's market.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
OP make sure you keep some perennials/shrubs etc in the yard. Patches of soil with annual veggies are prone to erosion when the veggies are gone. This is bad for the environment, and the health of your soil IMO. Plants such such as raspberries, blueberries (acid soil), roses with edible hips, daylilies etc. can help stabilize the soil around the beds.

Also make sure you have the soil tested to ensure that it is safe to grow food in. Here is my advice:

1. Keep some lawn - The common wisdom now is that SOME lawn is useful for playing, relaxing in etc. If the yard is big enough, you may want to keep a bit of lawn and cut it into a nice shape.

2. Use Raised beds - I like these because they are neat and easier to weed than gardens in ground. Use food safe materials for the beds. The one drawback with raised beds is that it took a while to get the soil mix right. Mine is richer now after a few years of amending it.

3. Have fun experimenting - For the past few years, I've made sure to try something new. I buy seeds, so it is relatively cheap. I've found some new favorite vegetables that grow easily that way.

4. Remember the flowers - In mine, I grow beneficial or edible flowers. These include marigolds, calendula, borage and nasturtiums. These also attract pollinators and are easy to start from seed. Honey bees in particular, seem to love borage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden