U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 379 times

Advertisements

I have aloe vera plants that i got online and had shipped through same day shipping and got it the same day last week. Upon opening the box i saw that the plants leaves were thin and curled inwards and lenghtwise. i have a very large burn on my arm and bought this plant to help with the pain but i cant use it and the seller is completely useless. the seller is giving me the run-around. i asked this question under the tag of "defective items":

Hello, my name is Annie and i bought two of your aloe vera plants for $5.99 and got both. Both have thin and curling lengthwise leaves and I need to know what to know what to do.

His response was as follows:

these grow very fast..

what does that mean and what does that have to do with the plants problems? I need your help guys! How do i save these plants???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 PM

6,514 posts, read 6,120,221 times
Quote:
Both have thin and curling lengthwise leaves ...

At that price it sounds like he sent you small plants (maybe babies) that are too dry and need to be plumped up and allowed to grow into healthy, mature plants. Put the roots in some soil in a plant pot, give them a little bit of water, and let the plants grow. Do not overwater them in an attempt to compensate for their thin state. It will take a few weeks before you see improvement in their growth. When they have grown into bigger plants that have plumper, juicier leaves you can start using parts of the leaves for burns.

Did you go online and do research about how to grow and use aloe vera for burns, and did you look at pictures of healthy and unhealthy plants, and juvenile and mature plants? If not, you should do that.

In the meantime while you're waiting for them to grow you can go to a pharmacy or a natural health store and buy some already prepared aloe vera gel or juice to put on your burn. It won't cost you as much as you paid for your plants you got online.

If the plants he sent you are duds and won't grow you could go to a nursery and personally select a larger, healthy aloe vera plant.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
At that price it sounds like he sent you small plants (maybe babies) that are too dry and need to be plumped up and allowed to grow into healthy, mature plants. Put the roots in some soil in a plant pot, give them a little bit of water, and let the plants grow. Do not overwater them in an attempt to compensate for their thin state. It will take a few weeks before you see improvement in their growth. When they have grown into bigger plants that have plumper, juicier leaves you can start using parts of the leaves for burns.

Did you go online and do research about how to grow and use aloe vera for burns, and did you look at pictures of healthy and unhealthy plants, and juvenile and mature plants? If not, you should do that.

In the meantime while you're waiting for them to grow you can go to a pharmacy or a natural health store and buy some already prepared aloe vera gel or juice to put on your burn. It won't cost you as much as you paid for your plants you got online.

If the plants he sent you are duds and won't grow you could go to a nursery and personally select a larger, healthy aloe vera plant.

The plants were sold as mature and healthy palnts. they're adult plants and the only thing wrong with both are the leaves. they're a nice healthy green colour but the plants started getting thin. they were a little thin right out of the box with curling leaves but only got REALLY bad after i had put them in the indoor windowbox with the rest of my aloe. this all happened in the span of a day. they've been places into a different windowbox with some of my critical plants and they get a spritzing of water everyday and they seem to be plumping up. i called the seller about the problem and he said he'd send a replacement to which i told him that would be unnessary as i just need information on how to get them fattened up. any ideas?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Are they still in the same soil they came in or did you repot them into fresh, clean soil? If you did not repot them you should do that now and inspect the roots for any sign of root rot, just to be on the safe side.

It kind of sounds like the grower you got them from was under-watering them so they curled up with dehydration. Be patient and give them a chance to adjust and get established in their new environment. It's winter time so even if you now have them in better growing conditions than what they might have been in before you got them, (which you probably have no idea what kind of conditions he had them growing in) there is still no way you can force them to grow faster in winter. And now they also need time to adjust to their new environment and location because aloes don't like to be moved from one location to another even when they are in a slow winter growth stage and they can go into shock after shipment. But in the spring you can encourage them to put on a spurt of growth and plump up more if you give them a light application of liquid fertilizer for succulents. But you do need to wait until spring to fertilize them.

There are some tips at this website which may be helpful:

Aloe Vera Fertilizer, Give Your Plants An Extra Boost!

How to Care for Aloe Vera Plant

https://www.wikihow.com/Revive-a-Dying-Aloe-Vera-Plant

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-08-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
Are they still in the same soil they came in or did you repot them into fresh, clean soil? If you did not repot them you should do that now and inspect the roots for any sign of root rot, just to be on the safe side.

It kind of sounds like the grower you got them from was under-watering them so they curled up with dehydration.
i repotted the aloe vera plant into a mix of sand and low nutrient potting mix and plopped it into a clay pot thats unglazed. i also put a stick into the pot to watch the watering. when the stick comes out dry, the plant needs watering. i noticed both plants had a few mushy roots so i took some steril clippers and snipped them off. i also noticed that one has plumped up significantly, but i dont know why the other has not. what do i do?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:51 PM

You've done well enough so do nothing else now, just give them time to become better established and they'll start growing more in the spring.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 PM

6 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
You've done well enough so do nothing else now, just give them time to become better established and they'll start growing more in the spring.

Really? Theres no way to help her get fattened up? I'm really worried that shes sick. Ihe was in the same emergency care plant pot with her sister and her sister is fattening up nicely while she's still thin. The seller sent me another one in the same condition which has landed her in quarantine. Should i do the same with the sicker one of the two original two? Is this a sign of disease? I'm a first time Aloe Vera mother and i plan to sell their pups come spring and i want to make sure my new babies are healthy and without disease before i sell their babies.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,602,279 times
OP, the soil in your pot looks very course, meaning it MAY not hold much water. You're not going to do it any harm if you increase your watering to 2x/week instead of one.

Have you fertilized it yet? Plants in pots need MUCH more frequent fertilization than those in the ground. (frequent but light) I have aloe vera growing in my backyard and don't fuss over them much at all.

Old Today, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Have you fertilized it yet? Plants in pots need MUCH more frequent fertilization than those in the ground. (frequent but light).
I think i messed up. My aloes leaves are a bit mushy. Does that mean that shes getting to much water? She's also having a bit of trouble with the liquid fertilizer i gave her. Her roots were burned but to counter it, i think i watered her too much. is there any way to save her? i already removed her from that soil and put her into sterile soil but will that be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden