U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I recently had some landscaping work done and a row of arborvitaes was placed on the back patio in large planters, two per planter. Planters are 20w x 20h x 46length. Landscaper said he planted in such a way so there is drainage in the planters.

Its been about a week and a half since they went in. They're looking a bit sad, drooping and a few are browning in various spots.

Just curious if this is normal due to transplant shock. Anything I can do to care for them?

Landscaper didn't provide much direction for care.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Arborvitae Help!-arbor-1.jpg   Arborvitae Help!-arbor-2.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,121,819 times
Probably transplant shock. Those are some pretty big trees/shrubs and require a regular drink..... are you watering them every day, at least? Did the "arborist" take off the burlap/steel cage and fluff up the roots? If not, it is even more difficult to get the roots soaked (and you should have a professional come out and replant them or you will have poor root formation, IMHO).

Where are u located? Hot sun? No natural cloudy days with rain? They could just be suffering and will do better when the days get a little cooler.

Keep them wet (not soaked). When the top inch or two of soil dries out, they are ready for more water.

Just looked at the pictures again. You are going to think this is silly, but the concrete (?) and the reflection off the table is making the plants even more warm...and drying then out more quickly. Water, water, water.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 08-31-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Depending on where you are, and your climate, that could be the worst time of the year to transplant a tree. With the sun and heat they lose moisture to evaporation, but have difficulty taking it up with the roots having been disturbed. Hopefully they kept enough of the rootballs covered with the original soil. They normally need watering 2-3 years until established in the ground, but in containers you will always have to water them. They need an inch of rain per week at this point, or about an hour with a soaker hose, more when over 90F. My neighbor planted 12 of them 6-7' tall in July and about half are dead. It may also help keep them from drying out as much if you mist them with a hose when it cools in the evening. No fertilizer until they have settled in, next spring.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Awesome, thanks guys for the advice.

I'm in Seattle. The weather has been warm since they've been planted, but not oppressively hot. I would say hottest was in 80s. Last few days has been cooler, 60s-70s with overcast. I'll check with the landscaper to see if they kept the burlap on. Should the burlap be removed, if so?

I'll ensure they are watered heavily, but not soaked.

I do have a large umbrella in the back. Should I move that to provide some shade during the day for them?

Old 08-31-2015, 03:25 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,121,819 times
Weather sounds decent. Make sure they are watered regularly.....especially every day if it is sunny. They want to drink up LOTS of water now from being replanted, and they have a HUGE amount of leaf area which exudes moisture, so they can use plenty to drink.

If the burlap is on them, he will say it is fine. It just means more effort for the water to get to the roots. Are they warranted? If so, I hate to see a tree die, but less concerned, although he may say "you didn't water them". We know how that goes.

No need to shade them unless it is easy. They are just doing what they do in the hot sun.....transplant shock....and should be fine as long as you keep them wet. In the containers, watering them is always going to be important. The roots will drift toward the outside of the container, where the sun keeps it warmer, and where it wants to dry out more quickly--viscous circle (no pun intended).

Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Burlap will rot away in time, but the roots need to spread, so it should have been cut away with only the bottom left at most. The way the weather has been since Saturday no need to worry about shade, but the rain has not been enough to soak down to their roots.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:13 PM

974 posts, read 1,261,955 times
Also--Big mistake people make with container plantings is assuming rainwater will get into the containers. Even if it rains, you'll need to check to see if it is saturating the clayballs.

Seattle winters are usually mild, without a "freeze". You'll have a long watering schedule.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:15 PM

2,956 posts, read 11,040,330 times
It is my experience that balled and burlapped plants do not transplant as well as container plants.

But they should be fine over time. And as everyone says, you will need to keep them well watered.

If they left the burlap on, you should check the top of the rootballs, because B & B trees will have all of their roots inside the dense rootball area which may need to be loosened on top for the water to penetrate into the rootball.

And within I would say about 5 years, those shrubs are going to outgrow the area in which they are planted. Look forward to it.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
It is my experience that balled and burlapped plants do not transplant as well as container plants.

But they should be fine over time. And as everyone says, you will need to keep them well watered.

If they left the burlap on, you should check the top of the rootballs, because B & B trees will have all of their roots inside the dense rootball area which may need to be loosened on top for the water to penetrate into the rootball.
To add to this, while checking the top of the root-ball, also check to make sure none of the burlap is above ground. You would be quite surprised how just a small piece sticking above ground will wick the water completely out of the root-ball.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:16 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Yep even in the ground, thuja occidentalis love water. It looks like what these are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden