U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 AM

859 posts, read 642,833 times

Advertisements

Figs trees are almost never grafted. There's really only two reasons to graft a fig. First, to put something on a LSU purple rootstock because it has RKN resistance. Since LSU purple is a great fig, no need to worry about killing it to the rootstock. The second reason would be to make a multi-variety fruit tree. Hobbyist might do this but Lowes almost certainly wouldn't have one of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 AM

21,003 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breige View Post
Was it grafted? Cause if you cut off below the graft line with the mower, it may be root stock fig that grew back.
Figs aren't normally grafted. New fig trees are grown from cuttings and they will come true to variety.

I've never cut my figs to the ground, but I cut them back pretty severely to keep them as house plants. I did have a fig tree broken off two inches above the soil just two months ago and that thing is already over two feet tall with nice thick leaves.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,537,985 times
Dig it up and throw it in the compost heap. Don't buy trees from big box stores - they're crap. Find a good local nursery and buy from there. Highly recommend LSU Purple fig tree.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I bought a fig tree a while back at lowe's. It was mid to late summer and about a foot tall. Before winter came, I harvested 9 figs from it. I went to check on it in the early spring while cutting grass. Each branch (about 5) was black and very brittle, I assumed it had died so I ran over it with the mower. After a couple of weeks I saw new growth and got somewhat excited. It grew to about 18" tall but never produced fruit. This spring produced the same results (but I didn't run over it). The black crumbly branches are still there and new growth is now around 2 foot tall. It is early september and I still don't see any signs that it will bear fruit this year either....do I need a second tree? What's going on here?
This happened to some fig trees I had once. There is one disease that fig trees will get. I forget the name of it (rust, maybe?). The tree will suddenly appear to have died, the branches get brittle and dead, the leaves crisp and dead. But the tree is not dead below ground and will grow back.

Since it happened to you twice, read up on it to see if something environmental causes it, or something you can do about it.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 AM

3,272 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Fig trees don't necessarily require 2-4 years to bear fruit after going through what the OP described. The past two winters have been very rough. Each year, all of my fig buds died and the branches dried out, despite my covering them for the winter. In both cases, the fig died back completely and then began growing from the ground. And in both cases, I have gotten quite a few figs that first year of re-growth.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,123,205 times
I don't know if it's the same with figs as it is with citrus, but when I bought an orange tree (from Lowe's) it gave me fruit the first year because the buds had already turned into teeny fruit when I bought it. After I put it in the ground (after fruit season), it took 3 years to bear fruit again -- which I knew would happen. There was some catchy poem that I've now forgotten that was a reminder to me to have patience ... had something to do with the tree needing two seasons to acclimate its root system before it could spend energy on flowering.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 AM

671 posts, read 1,468,441 times
My fig tree had a lot of fruits for the 3rd year, the main branches were about 1" diameter and this year, the new ones come from the ground & very healthy, the old branches seem dead, they stay dry & black and no buds, no leaves at all. Should I cut the dead branches & trimmed the new ones (get rid of the tiny, just keep the biggest ones) ?

Please advise,

Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I just ate two figs from the Chicago Hardy fig I got from Lowes 3-4 years ago. It died back to the ground two years ago and also has it's "brown crumbly" branches that died last winter.

The first year my chickens scratched it out of the ground and almost killed it. This is the first year I'm getting any fruit. So I think you may be OK if you just wait for a while to get fruit from it. Also I'm not sure that they normally graft fig trees.
I have done grafting on figs, but to have several varieties on th same tree. Some varieties of many fruit trees are grafted, because it ensures the true fruit exactly as desired, while from seed it can vary. In the case of the fig, some of the more cold hardy types are grafted to hardier root stock.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:46 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,251,370 times
I agree with the person who said to dig it up and start again. Lowe's is not a place to buy a fruit tree. There is no way that you know it is an appropriate tree for your climate region. Go to a reputable nursery with people who know about fruit trees and talk to them about what varieties grow in your area and buy one that you know will do well. Otherwise, you may waste 3 years waiting for this one to fruit, only to find out it is non-functional in your area. I never buy plants at Home Depot or Lowe's - they often sell invasive non-natives, plants that are harmful to the ecosystem, plants that cannot grow in that climate, etc.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:11 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,413,676 times
What on earth. I'm here to defend Lowes (time to buy stock?). My yard is FULL of trees, shrubs etc. now from various sources, including big box stores. Not only that, but I've gotten diseased plants, plants not fit for my zone and invasive plants from one of my local small nurseries. Shame on them. Like with any business: carpe diem..no um..buyer beware. ;D

At Lowes and HD, I've gotten some of my most prized plants including bridal veil spirea (s. x vanhouttei), my wacky peach, Autumn Jazz viburnum Dentatum and the fabulous Chicago Hardy fig. Last year the tree grew the most figs, and it has died back many times.

For the most recent poster curious about the dead branches, I'd leave them on. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do, but I'm never sure whether or not they are really dead. Some of mine seem to sprout later in the year. In summer, once I'm sure which ones are dead, I'll cut them off.

We reportedly have immigrants from Italy to thank for fig trees in America according to many online sources. How did THEY keep the lovely tree with its big, tropical leaves and plump, tasty fruit alive in New York winters? It seems that they wrapped, buried and did other things to protect their trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden