U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 AM

592 posts, read 1,925,087 times

Advertisements

Anybody know where a person can get some white poplars ? I am talking about the big ones that look like a cottonwood but with silver and green leaves. Bark goes from looking like an aspen to more like a cottonwood. They spead by the roots and I have heard the nurseries stopped growing them because they spread so quickly that they take over. Which is another reason I want some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,460,346 times
Be careful what you ask for....

Poplars are a very fast growing and huge tree. The problem is that they very little in the way of a root system. That means they will fall over in a stout wind. Or worse, if there is a particularly heavy snow load on the branches and they didn't grow straight and strong, the weight of the snow will topple them. If they do that when they are grown, they will crush anything in their way - your house or your car or your garage.

I have a ton of them in my woods in Maine, but if I had my way, I'd cut them all down just because of the danger they pose if/when they fall. And they will fall. Just a matter of time.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM

592 posts, read 1,925,087 times
interesting, Wyoming is infamous for its wind and there are many of these massive trees that have stood up to it for decades. This species of poplar also has a root system that speads and pops up new trees everywhere. Maybe we are not talking about the same tree ? Populus alba L. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-135.pdf

Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,460,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Maybe we are not talking about the same tree ? Populus alba L. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-135.pdf
My bad, the leaf configuration is different and we are very likely talking about different trees.

A lot of mine are huge - indicating they have been there for more than a decade. The root system is how they spread, but like I said, the roots are not particularly deep.

I would be wary of any kind of poplar knowing what I know about them after they have matured.

I too, thought they were majestic and wonderful trees to have for shade, for deer stands, for windbreak. As long as they are healthy and strong, no problem. Then I started hearing the horror stories of the ones that matured, died internally first and then toppled. I much prefer to learn from other people's mistakes than make them myself.

You might check at a Home Depot. I believe they state that if there is something you need and they don't have it, they'll order it for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,850,901 times
I have no idea where you get these as I don't think people plant them as much anymore, there was a time period where poplars were very popular (lol) because they grow so fast, as were ornamental pears, and the scraggly bush known as Russian Olive.

Just be careful and make sure you WANT this tree because it grows rapidly and I do believe you will get many more baby poplars to follow . . . so it may annoy your neighbors if you have any close by.

**OH and just a note, make sure they have a stronger wood than cottonwood, because cottonwood limbs snap very easily, even mature ones that cause great damage. (i'm not sure if the white poplar is related to the cottonwood, but I would believe it is..)

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM

18,093 posts, read 20,058,401 times
Wyomiles the link you posted with the pictures are white poplars. I have 4 left out of 15 that was planted 15-20 years ago for wind breaks until the blue spruce could mature. You are welcome to come to my house and take the remaining 4 off my property!

The roots run on top of the ground causing difficulties when mowing, they are fast growers but not a strong tree. The 11 that aren't here? They all fell over in either wind or ice storms. Wish I had never listened to my mother to plant them to begin with. They run 'sucklings' like crazy that if you don't trim off they turn into "bush type" like in the pictures in your link.

Why are you wanting to plant them? Maybe I am missing some great quality of them.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM

A white pine is a pretty wind block that grows pretty quick, I believe they are strong too... that is if you change your mind on white poplar.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,058,401 times
Our blue spruce are big and vibrant now but I will keep the white pine in mind for the future. I like the blues because when we are mowing they don't scratch you like other pines do since their needles are softer.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM

We have a bunch of the blue spruces as a wind block at my parents, they live next to a large field. they put them in 2 summers ago and wow, it's almost like they haven't grown... I guess these take some patience! I, however, found that the white pines grow quite a bit quicker... and are actually much softer than the spruces.

A row of these are attractive in my opinion, they sound neat in the wind too.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM

3,750 posts, read 10,206,509 times
If you're looking for them because they are fast growing (which they are notorious for) - there are a number of other fast growers. I am personally looking into Sycamores and Sweet Gum - both of which turn into large, tall, shade trees - do well in bottom land soil, can tolerate clay (which I have in spades) and grow quickly.

Just say "no" to Poplars!! you have alternatives!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden