U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times

Advertisements

I will post some pics later (tomorrow hopefully), but I have an issue with the slash and loblolly pine trees dying on my property.

Three in the lower yard have perished and now two on the upper lawn are getting brown needles from the bottom up. I looked and this year they do not have the green worms like they had in the years past.

Anything that could be causing this? We have had plenty of rain and a hot summer, which these trees thrive on. I do not see any out in the "wild" that are dying.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,620,656 times
There is some kind of pine beetle that is killing a great many pines.
My neighbor lost a gorgeous huge white pine 2 years ago to them.
They kill quick.
Sad really.
Nothing you can do, get the chainsaw ready.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 PM

Thanks. Well we have white pines on the land too and they are ok, the browning needles are hitting the slash and loblolly pines, as least 3 have already completely died and two more are starting to brown... about 4 more are ok for now. I have noticed other loblolly and slash pines around the local area (out in the wild, along the highways, etc) and they are still perfectly green and lush. I have meant to get pics before now, but haven't had time.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:28 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,620,656 times
Tennessee,
When you get a chance, go to the tree and see how easy it is to peel off a section of bark.
If the bark is real tight, and you don't see any holes at all either in the bark, or there is nothing
at the base of the tree, webs, or white or yellow "dust" stuff, it may not be beetles.
Sad to say, 9 times out of 10, it probably is some kind of beetle.
I looked up Southern pine beetle online, and in SC there are at least 5 bad beetles that
attack our trees. I think they would probably be the same beetles for you too since you are close.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:43 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
If it is pine beetle or any other bug, get some pour-on systemic insecticide and follow the direction on the package and give the roots a good soak.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Tennessee,
When you get a chance, go to the tree and see how easy it is to peel off a section of bark.
If the bark is real tight, and you don't see any holes at all either in the bark, or there is nothing
at the base of the tree, webs, or white or yellow "dust" stuff, it may not be beetles.
Sad to say, 9 times out of 10, it probably is some kind of beetle.
I looked up Southern pine beetle online, and in SC there are at least 5 bad beetles that
attack our trees. I think they would probably be the same beetles for you too since you are close.
I will do that, thanks! I was in upstate South Carolina (Anderson area and northward) last weekend visiting relatives and I didn't notice any other slash/loblolly pines doing this as mine is, but it may hit certain areas and just not in any areas I was passing by. Even here I do not see any out in the "wild" doing this, they seem to be targeting my trees, which are less than 10 years old.

Thanks again, I will report my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If it is pine beetle or any other bug, get some pour-on systemic insecticide and follow the direction on the package and give the roots a good soak.
Thanks!

Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Are these bottom branches shaded any? Slash pine self prunes it's lower branches easily when they're shaded.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
OP I'd get the local extension to try to take a look if they can. Here is a link that describes some pine diseases:
Pine Diseases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden