U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:30 PM

839 posts, read 1,166,774 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a bit about winter gardening lately, and how people have been successful in growing winter greens such as kale, collards and certain strains of mustard greens in the winter. I found some info from a seed distributor in Oregon who says that they specialize in growing winter crops, but their USDA zone is zone 8.

I am in zone 6b, and would like to make an attempt at some kale and mustards over the winter. I am aware of mulching considerations, but am not going to use a cold frame. Can it be done, and if so, which crops have you had success with?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Status: "Will global warming make indianapolis the new death valley?" (set 6 days ago)

2,174 posts, read 1,569,145 times
I live in Zone 6a which is slightly colder than your zone 6b, and there apparently is little to no vegetative growing in winter in the zone I am living in. I would proceed with caution with growing mustard greens and the like as while zone 6b is a bit warmer than zone 6a, your zone is closer to 6a than it is to zone 8a or 8b.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
I am in 8B and gave up on that. Two years in a row I planted in September, the sprouted and got 2" tall, then stayed alive but didn't grow at all until the following May, just about the time I needed the space for spring planting.
In our case it may be due more to the lack of light, sun is rare October-May.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:52 PM

5,811 posts, read 3,298,927 times
I'm in 8b and had luck with collards and chard. Instead of planting it in fall, I planted seed in spring, harvested leaves sparingly throughout summer, and left the plants in all winter. It worked great for the collards especially. The collards stems got big and woody, but still put out tender leaves.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM

839 posts, read 1,166,774 times
Thanks for your input everyone! For those who responded, were there any attempts at growing kale in any of these situations?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 AM

16,158 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Read Elliott Coleman - the winter harvest and/or the four-season harvest. Your library will have them. He grows in Maine. Four Season Farm - Welcome to the site of Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch

If you google around on those terms, you will find forums that discuss this topic in depth.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 AM

16,158 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I am in 8B and gave up on that. Two years in a row I planted in September, the sprouted and got 2" tall, then stayed alive but didn't grow at all until the following May, just about the time I needed the space for spring planting.
In our case it may be due more to the lack of light, sun is rare October-May.
September is too late. You need to plant earlier than that, so your plants get a better start.

Territorial Seed has some very good info on this. So does Northwest Edible Life | life on garden time.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 AM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times
I have two rows of Kale that is doing great. I'm going to leave them alone and see what happens this winter. They might die under 4 feet of snow and temps at 10 below zero. A lot of people here have small (and large) green houses. Some pvc pipe, and a cover. I may do that too.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,582,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
September is too late. You need to plant earlier than that, so your plants get a better start.

Territorial Seed has some very good info on this. So does Northwest Edible Life | life on garden time.
My problem is that I have to use a greenhouse due to the rabbits, deer, and other creatures. At this time I still have plenty of tomato, Cucumber, squash and eggplant taking up all the space. I did real well this year planting the kale, spinach and lettuce in March from seedlings started indoors, then planting the young summer crops around them. They all finished by the time the other plants grew
big enough to need the space in June. You need a lot of kale and spinach plants to get many meals out of them.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM

974 posts, read 1,262,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Read Elliott Coleman - the winter harvest and/or the four-season harvest. Your library will have them. He grows in Maine. Four Season Farm - Welcome to the site of Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch
Grows in a greenhouse, though.

Granted, anything that grows in Maine is a miracle, but greenhouses are a big part of continuous, year round growing.

I'm in the city on a community plot. Technically 6B, but in a microclimate that boosts us up to a 7, I'd say. Yearround goodies have always been a dream, but its too much work for just kale or brussel sprouts.

But, if I could have an heirloom tomato in February from my garden, I'd willingly sell my soul or shovelled parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or