U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:10 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,165,907 times

Advertisements

My wife is disabled, and can't get out very much. So when I go hiking, if I see pretty flowers I like to pick them and take them back for her so she can enjoy them too. I found these while hiking in central Kentucky the other day, and she really loves them.

The problem is, so does one of our cats. I have no idea what they are, so I don't have any way of knowing whether they're toxic to cats. She's a pretty good cat, with very few criminal tendencies (for a cat), so we'd like to keep her around for a while. Can anyone help me identify this flower so we know whether we can keep them on my wife's desk? It's harder for her to see them if we have to stick them way up where the cat can't get at them, and I like to have them right next to her keyboard so she can see them all the time.

I'm sorry that it's not a better picture; in real life, the stamen is quite a bit more yellow than it appears in this photo. That's part of one of her wheelchairs in the background, but it doesn't show very good scale. The width of the blossom is about 2.5 inches, and the length of the stamen is about an inch and quarter. Multiple heads appear on the tip of each stem, and blossom one at a time, usually lasting about one day. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us.
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help Me Identify This Flower - You May Save a Cat's Life!-img_0699.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,709,587 times
It looks like a type of hibiscus, and is not poisonous.
People even make tea from the leaves of certain ones, I feed the flowers to a bunny we have.
Google image 'hibiscus,' and I think you'll feel much better Croc.
I think you're safe

Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 PM

114,037 posts, read 52,362,745 times
Could be Rose of Sharon ... cant tell what the leaves look like.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rose...RsyFdA7DjkM%3A

Old 09-17-2015, 11:30 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Yes it's a purple 'Rose of Sharon' hibiscus.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:30 PM

Technically, Rose of Sharon is hibiscus

Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Yes it's a purple 'Rose of Sharon' hibiscus.
Thanks Witty! I've grown a few but never looked them up til now. Never knew they were Hibiscus family.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Technically, Rose of Sharon is hibiscus
The kids had a big lab a few years back that killed most of mine by rubbing against them breaking the roots. Getting rain water from the roof edge also was not good they apparently don't like runoff from old asphalt shingles.

Last edited by SATX56; 09-18-2015 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Added not to good....not good.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 PM

Satx, hibiscus has been taking a hit the last few years (at least here in Fl, and your climate is most likely similar to mine) due to newly introduced pests. I had several cultivars that are now so weak, they look nothing as they did when first planted. Am probably going to exterminate them.
The Rose of Sharon is one of the originals, therefore stronger, and OP's looks to be in great health.
Wish I could say the same for mine.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
My wife is disabled, and can't get out very much. So when I go hiking, if I see pretty flowers I like to pick them and take them back for her so she can enjoy them too. I found these while hiking in central Kentucky the other day, and she really loves them.

The problem is, so does one of our cats. I have no idea what they are, so I don't have any way of knowing whether they're toxic to cats. She's a pretty good cat, with very few criminal tendencies (for a cat), so we'd like to keep her around for a while. Can anyone help me identify this flower so we know whether we can keep them on my wife's desk? It's harder for her to see them if we have to stick them way up where the cat can't get at them, and I like to have them right next to her keyboard so she can see them all the time.

I'm sorry that it's not a better picture; in real life, the stamen is quite a bit more yellow than it appears in this photo. That's part of one of her wheelchairs in the background, but it doesn't show very good scale. The width of the blossom is about 2.5 inches, and the length of the stamen is about an inch and quarter. Multiple heads appear on the tip of each stem, and blossom one at a time, usually lasting about one day. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us.
This particular site shows Hibiscus to be toxic to cats.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...lants/hibiscus

But there are always conflicting opinions all you can do is check several sights and pick the one you believe. We have many cats too. I would suggest checking on all your plants. We've had some that really would chew on plants i previously thought weren't toxic. Rechecking found they were ..at least according to some. Be vigilant. I worry about my poor mutt that eats anything and everything.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:45 PM

Whoa, never seen that. Like your pets, mine chew on all kinds of plants that can scare one at first, thankfully, no ill effects.

I would err on side of caution Croc. Mine have chewed hibiscus with no side effects, but Satx's link would have me protecting kitty. Personally, think it will be fine, I've had mine chewed and OK. Perhaps the amount?

But would take no chances. TY Satx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or