Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,174,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I dont spray mine, unripe plums appear damaged, but then the fruits secrete some kind of healing resin and the fruits that do live long enough to ripen have little or no damage, none from borers. In my experience, plums and pears are two trees that can produce fruits with grocery store like appearance without spraying, but I am in zone 5.

Thanks for the information. Does it require grafting and pruning?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 06:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
Thanks for the information. Does it require grafting and pruning?

Thanks.
No, it is not grafted. I attemped to prune mine, but I couldnt find much to prune, this tree doesnt need a man. A lot depends on a nursery. I got a 5 inch seedling from shooting star nursery in 2011, it is 7 feet tall tree now. I ordered many more plum trees from lawyers nursery in 2013, money wasted, 3 seasons later those plum trees are either dead or they just sit there barely surviving, forget about growth. Apparently, there are regional variations of the American plum, some more suited than the others for my location.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
DC metro area. (Zone: 7)

Try to place some trees with some fruit trees, ideally not exceeding 10 feet tall, don't really like big tree.

Bottom line: The fruit trees should be easily taken care, kinda busy with work/life, not too much time spent on garden......
In your area, you won't be able to grow any of the stone fruits without a major spray program because of the plum curculio.

There's an apple rust disease in your area, can't think of the name of it.

For no care, you might be able to grow figs. That's not a small tree, but you could keep it cut back. Persimmons are also very easy. Again, not a small tree but they can be kept small.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:35 PM

Apologies, duplicate post.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:43 PM

Santa Rosa Plum - Plum Trees - Stark Bro's

Thanks, everyone. Now I tend to buy dwarf plum tree, not too high, almost no care. Am I right?

Thanks.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In your area, you won't be able to grow any of the stone fruits without a major spray program because of the plum curculio.

There's an apple rust disease in your area, can't think of the name of it.

For no care, you might be able to grow figs. That's not a small tree, but you could keep it cut back. Persimmons are also very easy. Again, not a small tree but they can be kept small.

Other people said plum tree doesn't really require care.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Other people said plum tree doesn't really require care.

Thanks.
But are they growing plums in the DC / Maryland area? I grow plums without spraying and my only problem is theft by bird. But my plum trees are in oregon, not DC. We don't have plum curculio in oregon. My weather is dry, so I don't have to deal with peach leaf curl.

Santa Rosa plum is a Japanese plum, not an American plum. Most of the comments about trouble-free plums were comments about American plums, which is a wild plum. If you want the trouble-free plum as recomended, you'll have to buy an American plum, and I have no idea whether or not that grows in DC. Ask where those trouble-free American plums are being grown.

The apple rust problem I mentioned is CAR, cedar apple rust.

I suggest you go to Garden Web and join the fruit forum. Several people there are growing fruit in eastern states and can give good advice about varieties to grow.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
But are they growing plums in the DC / Maryland area? I grow plums without spraying and my only problem is theft by bird. But my plum trees are in oregon, not DC. We don't have plum curculio in oregon. My weather is dry, so I don't have to deal with peach leaf curl.

Santa Rosa plum is a Japanese plum, not an American plum. Most of the comments about trouble-free plums were comments about American plums, which is a wild plum. If you want the trouble-free plum as recomended, you'll have to buy an American plum, and I have no idea whether or not that grows in DC. Ask where those trouble-free American plums are being grown.

The apple rust problem I mentioned is CAR, cedar apple rust.

I suggest you go to Garden Web and join the fruit forum. Several people there are growing fruit in eastern states and can give good advice about varieties to grow.
Dwarf Fruit Trees from Stark Bro's - Dwarf Fruit Trees For Sale

So none of these is American plum?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
You may be able to grow the Oriental (Kaki) Persimmon, some varieties are non astringent and can be eaten while firm. No spraying required. Check Edible Landscaping, Ison's, or Petals From The Past.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You may be able to grow the Oriental (Kaki) Persimmon, some varieties are non astringent and can be eaten while firm. No spraying required. Check Edible Landscaping, Ison's, or Petals From The Past.
It's called "Asian" persimmon and yes it is very easy to grow. I have a "Fuyu" variety, it is "non-astringent" which means you can eat it when it is hard and your lips will not go numb. It's sweet & crunchy like apple and it's very common and available in local nurseries in my area. I am in zone 7 as well. I bought it 6 years at barely 3 feet tall and the following year it was loaded with fruits. I did not do much with the tree neither other than water it in the summer when it is hot & dry.

Some other more exotic choices are: Chinese jujube (dates) you can plug it into any types of soil and it will thrive. The jujube is a small stone fruit and is sweet tasting. The tree itself fits exactly what you are looking for - pretty much plant it and forget. It is very hardy & survive well. Japanese plum (Prunus Ume) that give stunning flowers when it blooms. It's called "plum" but it's more like apricot. You can make plum wine out of its fruits.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 09-28-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden