Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 AM

653 posts, read 783,418 times

Advertisements

I am a new homeowner and have never planted anything in my life. That being said, I recently purchased 2 maple trees (Norway Maple and an Autumn Blaze Red Maple) to plant in my backyard for shade. Dug up my holes and planted the trees with some top soil. My question is... I don't think I did a very good job of unraveling the roots as the trees were potted when I purchased them. I'm concerned that the roots will not grow properly because I didn't unravel them very well and the trees may die. Should I be concerned?

The trees are already in the ground, so there's no going back at this point. I water them regularly and I'm hoping they remain alive and healthy.

Any comments or advice are welcomed!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:20 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
how tall are the trees now ? .

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
how tall are the trees now ? .
The Norway Maple is about 6-6.5 ft tall. The Autumn Blaze is about 8-8.5 ft tall.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 AM

I just planted the trees 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Wait until they're going dormant and shedding leaves, then dig them up and straighten the roots. I doubt they have rooted into the surrounding soil in just two weeks.

Personally I wouldn't keep the Norway Maple since its listed as an invasive species.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM

384 posts, read 383,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Wait until they're going dormant and shedding leaves, then dig them up and straighten the roots. I doubt they have rooted into the surrounding soil in just two weeks.

Personally I wouldn't keep the Norway Maple since its listed as an invasive species.
I agree, I always unravel the roots when planting something new. If it's root bound it could die eventually. I think it's worth digging it up and unraveling the roots just to be sure.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Can you recall how much the roots were visibly running around the outside of the pots? If they were in the pots a long time and tight, you will have problems. If the roots were barely visible and there was soft soil falling off when you pulled off the pot, they will most likely be OK. On this forum it's always helpful to mention where you are, or better yet the USDA hardiness zone. If your weather has cooled off you could dig them back up, tickle the roots and replant now.
If you are in a cold winter climate you don't want to mess with them when it's below freezing, so better to do now or wait until spring before the buds swell, but after the ground thaws.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Keeros,
Your atitude is the trees are already in the ground. You aren't going to replant them
anyway. So, why post here?
If they live, they live. If they don't leaf out next year, you will know.
It's so easy just to google "planting a tree" and follow the instructions online.
So, if one dies, google for instructions when you go to plant another one next spring.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Can you recall how much the roots were visibly running around the outside of the pots? If they were in the pots a long time and tight, you will have problems. If the roots were barely visible and there was soft soil falling off when you pulled off the pot, they will most likely be OK. On this forum it's always helpful to mention where you are, or better yet the USDA hardiness zone. If your weather has cooled off you could dig them back up, tickle the roots and replant now.
If you are in a cold winter climate you don't want to mess with them when it's below freezing, so better to do now or wait until spring before the buds swell, but after the ground thaws.
The roots were visible, but not to nearly to the point where they'd become a wrap around the dirt. The dirt was soft and easily came off.

I am in North Carolina, zone 7. The weather has cooled off considerably over the past week or so.

I would prefer to leave them be, and not dig them up. But if I have to, I'll do it.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Keeros,
Your atitude is the trees are already in the ground. You aren't going to replant them
anyway. So, why post here?
If they live, they live. If they don't leaf out next year, you will know.
It's so easy just to google "planting a tree" and follow the instructions online.
So, if one dies, google for instructions when you go to plant another one next spring.
You are right, I would prefer to leave them in the ground. But I thought the forum was for questions? And all I did was ask whether or not the trees would survive if I didn't unravel the roots. Yeah, it's easy to google instructions, but being completely inexperienced at planting anything, I didn't want to "damage" the roots by pulling or tugging on them so I didn't do much unraveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden