U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 763,083 times
Reputation: 2248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
First, check your local/state laws and water regulations. In many places, it is illegal to divert water onto someone else's property. Some jurisdictions will rain hard on the diverter's parade, so to speak.

It may also be illegal to block the flow onto your property, if the natural flow is across it or the "offender" has somehow acquired to rights to do what is being done. Again, check with your local authorities before you do anything.
When I had the borough come out before, they told me they couldn't do anything because of the natural flow of the water. We have driveways that are side by side and the majority flows onto my property. The borough, nor I knew he had a pipe under the grass at the time.

I'll check out my state laws regarding the issue. It'll literally send me through the roof if I can't put the clay down to protect my own property due to someone intentionally doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2015, 02:45 PM
 
230 posts, read 253,841 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
When I had the borough come out before, they told me they couldn't do anything because of the natural flow of the water. We have driveways that are side by side and the majority flows onto my property. The borough, nor I knew he had a pipe under the grass at the time.

I'll check out my state laws regarding the issue. It'll literally send me through the roof if I can't put the clay down to protect my own property due to someone intentionally doing this.

I would get them back out and point out the pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 03:37 PM
 
3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times
Reputation: 6243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
I would get them back out and point out the pipe.
Or perhaps the pipe could, er, "accidentally" get clogged/blocked-up. Happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 763,083 times
Reputation: 2248
FrogCross,

I am going to have them come back out to make sure it's documented on their end and they may force him to remove it.

LoriNJ,

I have a nephew that's a pipe fitter and jokingly said I want him to install a U entension onto that pipe to direct it back at his property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Reputation: 27519
If that pipe is on your property then you have every right to cap it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Reputation: 25105
If you knew what the runoff was from and it was clean enough to grow with, you could use some drilled pvc pipes to spread the water over a larger area and plant something over it...free water for your veggies. One of my neighbors built a big planter box where the condensate from the air conditioner drains, and he's got it planted with lettuce that he doesn't have to water all summer long.

And the soil is clay where I live, and water will still pass through it, just not as quickly as other soil. Usually the clay cracks when it's dry and becomes a big sticky mud pit when it's wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:16 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 763,083 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that pipe is on your property then you have every right to cap it off.
He's a sneak... it's an inch or two from my property line, which is why I put a lump of clay to my line so it goes a little into his yard. That's when I got the idea to line my whole property line with the clay. Not only do I have erosion from the other runoff, I have mush gullies in my yard and now I know it's because of that drain pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
 
1,614 posts, read 1,122,691 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Hi!

I'm having an erosion problem due to an uncooperative neighbor diverting his drainage onto my property. I have a ton of clay soil and I thought that being that it's not porous, I could dig along my property line and make a barrier of the clay to prevent his drainage from coming into my yard causing so much erosion on my property.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Its not lawful for someone to drain into your property. My parents had same thing going on. Their neighbors sump pump drained out and across and down their driveway. City inspected it and gave them notice on how it had to be directed and had to be fixed pronto. Drainage has to be sent into the sewer line in the street. Think the guy knows it will cost him and that its not legal or there would be no sneaking around. You need to call city and tell them the problem. You shouldn't have to put up with this. Don't deal with it yourself as you may want to sell at some point and a pain in the neck won't help. Call your city and get the facts and do it soon.. Doesn't cost you a dime for them to look at the drainage . Keep us informed.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 10-03-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 763,083 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you knew what the runoff was from and it was clean enough to grow with, you could use some drilled pvc pipes to spread the water over a larger area and plant something over it...free water for your veggies. One of my neighbors built a big planter box where the condensate from the air conditioner drains, and he's got it planted with lettuce that he doesn't have to water all summer long.

And the soil is clay where I live, and water will still pass through it, just not as quickly as other soil. Usually the clay cracks when it's dry and becomes a big sticky mud pit when it's wet.
The runoff is actually from the rain that comes down both of our driveways and then flows across my property. I already have a huge planter box but it's a raised bed. I could plant some things in the yard to soak up the extra water as you suggest because my hillside is so loose that I can't even walk down it without the ground giving. My yard is now starting to erode at the top of the hillside.

I didn't even realize he was doing this until last winter when he shoveled a pathway through the snow about two feet onto my property and up to my yard line so his melting snow would drain into my yard. There's nothing I can do about the rain except something like you suggest. I don't drive in the winter, so I went and shoveled and packed down the snow in the path he shoveled.

He's the reason I found out about C-D because I warned people not to buy a house with a side by side driveway. We fought and I thought the problem was solved. I figured the clay question would be more appropriate on this forum.

Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:50 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 763,083 times
Reputation: 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Its not lawful for someone to drain into your property. My parents had same thing going on. Their neighbors sump pump drained out and across and down their driveway. City inspected it and gave them notice on how it had to be directed and had to be fixed pronto. Drainage has to be sent into the sewer line in the street. Think the guy knows it will cost him and that its not legal or there would be no sneaking around. You need to call city and tell them the problem. You shouldn't have to put up with this.
I will call them again. I just hope something is done this time once they see that drain pipe. He used the excuse that the previous owner had a drain pipe the whole length of my house that could handle it. I called the previous owner and he said that pipe broke 20 years ago. I was going to put in a new drain system, but I'm not spending the money until he fixes his water problem that he's pushing off on me. He is too cheap, but he has another summer home that's worth over 1 1/2 MIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top