U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:32 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,504,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Bamboo is disgusting, it's a lazy excuse when you could actually plant trees that create value instead.
Don't know that I'd call bamboo disgusting. It has beautiful leaf forms and in the right place can create a wonderful division between yourself and a neighbor. Every plant has a right place and a wrong place, and every plant appeals in the right place.

I agree about the hydrangea/water thing. A house we moved into had a hydrangea at the corner where it got neither sun nor water, nor was it within hose range. So every day I had to run outside with a big pail of water and throw it on, and it was leaning 4 feet away from the house, trying to get some sun. What a mess! I had never had hydrangeas before and was initially delighted because I love their blooms. That didn't last.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM

2,478 posts, read 911,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Don't know that I'd call bamboo disgusting. It has beautiful leaf forms and in the right place can create a wonderful division between yourself and a neighbor. Every plant has a right place and a wrong place, and every plant appeals in the right place.

I agree about the hydrangea/water thing. A house we moved into had a hydrangea at the corner where it got neither sun nor water, nor was it within hose range. So every day I had to run outside with a big pail of water and throw it on, and it was leaning 4 feet away from the house, trying to get some sun. What a mess! I had never had hydrangeas before and was initially delighted because I love their blooms. That didn't last.
Hydrangeas consistently break my heart. LOL

Old 08-10-2022, 06:24 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Trumpet vine! Everytime I turn my back to it it is popping up somewhere else in the yard. It is literately growing through a dime size space between my deck boards. Nothing like having a vine growing up your leg while trying to enjoy a family bbq. And the more you trim it to keep it in check the more shoots pop up somewhere else. All my other mistakes are easily dug out, but not this monster!
My grandparents planted it (or maybe the previous owners in the 1950s?) and we try to trim it back pretty often. This year the grass has been brown because of the drought, but that's OK because there is trumpet vine popping up in its place where the lawn should be growing...

Old 08-12-2022, 08:58 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,620,543 times
The hummingbirds sure do like trumpet vine, though. I won't plant it, because I know it will take over everything!

Old 08-13-2022, 12:35 AM

10,776 posts, read 11,245,562 times
Sage. It's grown into a massive mess. I wish someone would pull it up for me because I don't have the tools or the strength to do it. I know it smells nice and sage has all kinds of health properties (which is why I planted it in the first place), but it's all twigs on the bottom and leaves on the top. I'd like to pull it out and start over again next year.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:21 AM

11,579 posts, read 11,316,351 times
I planted my fast-growing and robust native frangipani at a low lying place that can get swamped (when it rains), thus it affects its growth during torrential rain and makes it lose leaves. On top of that, it's planted close to a really vigorous hibiscus, where the two "touch" each other. I wish I had it planted in a more open and elevated area. It would've been pretty tall, sprawling and leafy by now.

Spoiler
This is how it looks like (not mine, but wish it was):

Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,168,697 times
Planted one tanacetum plant (feverfew) a few years back and now it pops up everywhere. It's pretty but very invasive. Also seriously regret an ornamental Chanticleer pear recommended by the tree guy before I knew much about what grows here. It is in a prominent place so I am thinking of replacing it before it gets any bigger. Totally useless tree.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:08 AM

1,356 posts, read 584,725 times
Things you regret planting.... Children ! Kidding, just kidding. Hope my kids never read this

Old 08-29-2022, 11:56 AM

44,620 posts, read 27,467,219 times
does anyone have experience with sunchokes / jerusalem artichokes? i'd like to try them but have heard they can get out of hand.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/8-O...214?goog_pla=1

Old 08-29-2022, 06:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,678,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
does anyone have experience with sunchokes / jerusalem artichokes? i'd like to try them but have heard they can get out of hand.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/8-O...214?goog_pla=1
Yes, they get out of hand very quickly. I got few plants from my mom's garden one year. They took over my entire flower bed the next year! They develop hundreds of new shoots from tubers and many hundreds more from seeds.

I tried my best to dig out all the tubers but new shoots can come out from teeny tiny strands of tubers. It took me 5-6 years to eradicate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden