U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times

Advertisements

I know, geraniums, African violets. I'll be bringing the parsley plant indoors but I was thinking of something on the idea of a terrarium. Not an actual terrarium, I've done that before with moss and little plants.

I have a little tiny mini greenhouse that I could put on a table. I live near the ocean so it would be nice to include a few little sea shells, maybe some bits of driftwood, but I don't know what else. There are plants growing in the beach sand but I think they need the winter period of dormancy. So do I go and buy some tropical plants? Is there a such thing as a miniature palm tree? Some other miniature plants that would have small flowers? I don't want to do bonsai, just something pretty and cute. Maybe I could find mini beach umbrellas, LOL. Any suggestions will be much appreciated because I am not going anywhere this winter, just stuck inside and something pretty and colorful would be a joy.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,253,741 times
I think you can grow just about any house plant if you have enough light. Some times I feel a bit overwhelmed by my house plants. But I LOVE them and a few I have had for over 35 years!!! Through moves across states and flipping houses for over 20 years so many moves and a bad flood. Hubby even roped a long chunk of a chain of hearts to save them for me because I was heart broken to lose the plant I got in the 70's. The living room floor was falling into the river so this was a brave thing for him to do.

I am not familiar growing things in green houses inside. One plant I really like and flowers when treated properly for lighting is Christmas cactus. Comes in many colors. You can hang it or keep it trimmed back after blooming. It is hardy. You have to not give it artificial light after the sun sets from September until it blooms. I keep one of mine in my sewing room because I rarely go in there to sew at night. If I did I would cover it.

Another pretty hanging plant is a Hoya. The flowers look like velvet stars. They like bathroom windows if good bright light. They like the humidity from the shower. I have one in my laundry room too. Both bloom like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
2 weeks ago we attended our regional Homesteading / survivalist fair. They present over 700 workshops on different topics. One topic was indoor winter gardening. Everyone shared their experiences in growing things indoors through winter.

I made a list:
Aliums [all of this family will survive, but the best for in a window sill would be chives],

Salad greens [think Succession Planting],

Celery [can be re-grown from store-bought],

dwarf trees: lemons, figs, avacado [I have lemon and fig trees that I bring indoors each winter],

Ginseng,
Ginger,
Lovage [this came up in our discussion, it is an outdoor plant. One of few that can be harvested in February in Maine],

cherry tomatoes [I really doubt this one, but we had people who swore they produce them in winter without timed-lights. I heat with wood, so my home temps fluctuate a lot. I do not think I could do this],

Rosemary / sage, thyme,
Basil [again Succession Planting],

mint,
aloe,
peppers,
sprouts,
mushrooms

Old 10-14-2015, 08:07 AM

3,272 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Here are some miniature varieties from Logee's to give you some ideas:

Search results for: 'miniature'

And here are their windowsill plants:

Indoor & Windowsill House Plants: Logee's Rare & Unusual Plants

Darn, some of those minatures are cute!

I have been contemplating an indoor herb garden during the winter for years. Haven't gotten around to it yet. It's "on my list".

Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
Cash crop or other?

Old 10-14-2015, 02:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
I have a Bougainvillea, Hibiscus, Meyer Lemon, and several India Banyan trees that I grow indoors from about now until it warms up in spring. I also bring in the geraniums but they can stay out until it gets closer to freezing. I have tried growing herbs indoors but they tend to attract whiteflies, spidermites and other pests.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
I love those little plants on that website. The Asian Jasmine would smell like a lilac, I think. And some of the little begonias are cute. This little "greenhouse" is more like a cloche. It's only about 1 1/2' in length and you just cover the plants with it. But using it, I could keep the plants from drying out in the house in the winter.

I have a Christmas cactus and still have to bring the parsley plant inside.

All these suggestions to check out! I definitely am going to make something pretty for the coming winter.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM

386 posts, read 213,600 times
I have a Mexican Fan Palm, a Sago Palm, various cacti, and I recently got a Cabbage Palm seedling I'm going to try to winter in doors.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 AM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Inside, I've got fig tress, citrus, miniature roses, and just add some hydrangeas. I took all the pomegranates to a different location where it is warmer and planted them outside. I don't think any of those would fit into a terrarium.

If you cook, I suggest thyme. It smells nice, is cute to look at, and fresh thyme is great to cook with. Fushias can be kept really small and they will flower even when they are kept pinched back really small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or