Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times

Advertisements

While I have no sympathy for the OP's plight (trees, leaves, wind, Autumn - it happens) I know others are intolerant of nature's cycle. My husband, who attempts to keep his OCD under control, completely loses it in the fall. The leaves are his arch-enemy and he will practically kill himself (at age 70) to corrall every last one every day until they are vanquished. His house, his rules, but he doesn't rule the neighbor's trees.

At my house I enjoy the crunch of leaves underfoot, the beauty of the red and orange ones looking like mosaics in the green grass, and I gather them at my leisure and enjoy the once-a-year show.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbors Trees-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

But, back to the neighbor and the trees, I'd like to have expandable funds to remove their trees, unfortunately I don't and I don't care for a lot of moving. So this situations has to find a point of resolve by some legal means.
So YOU would like to go to your neighbors and removed THEIR trees?!? Even if the neighbors said, "NO!"?

People can have trees in their yards. Trees grow leaves. Leaves fall. Wind blows. Deal with what is in your own yard. Blowing leaves? Too bad, so sad.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:50 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
While I have no sympathy for the OP's plight (trees, leaves, wind, Autumn - it happens) I know others are intolerant of nature's cycle. My husband, who attempts to keep his OCD under control, completely loses it in the fall. The leaves are his arch-enemy and he will practically kill himself (at age 70) to corrall every last one every day until they are vanquished. His house, his rules, but he doesn't rule the neighbor's trees.

At my house I enjoy the crunch of leaves underfoot, the beauty of the red and orange ones looking like mosaics in the green grass, and I gather them at my leisure and enjoy the once-a-year show.
I just mow my leaves every year. Your husband probably would not like me. Right now, they are pretty thick and I will probably get my mower out this weekend and turn them into mulch. I do have a fence, which means they are (mostly) contained in my yard. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow, so I was up on a ladder today, taking leaves out of the gutters. I can only get so much out by myself and then I pay someone to go up on the roof and get rid of the rest. It's a yearly ritual.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:00 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Just wanted to clarify that I had my neighbors' permission when I paid to have their trees cut down!!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
the problem is the neighbor has these Oak type trees that litter my driveway and lawn with leaves, then when the wind blows here comes 'the neighbors pine straw and the remnants of pine buds the squirrels have eaten".
Take it up with whatever supreme being you believe in. See if you can get him/her/it to stop the wind and keep the seasons from changing.

Quote:
Even my dogs don't like it when their leaves blow all over the patio in the back.
The dogs are prone to irrational rants, too?

Quote:
I must call the Insurance and see what are my options if the neighbors trees damage my house. It not likely they will expend the resources to have some of those trees removed. But there should be some options when situations get this out of hand on a neighbors property.
"Out of hand" leaves are not an insurance issue. As for the trees damaging your house, unless the tree is diseased or damaged, your insurance company will settle your claim, not your neighbors'. And vice versa.

Quote:
So many people do not have a sense of pride about their property, nor do they care how it impacts their neighbors, or the loss it bring and cost to the whole community.
News flash: Trees are seen as a good thing.

The rest of your ridiculous rant has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Focus!

Quote:
But, back to the neighbor and the trees,
Finally!

Quote:
I'd like to have expandable funds to remove their trees, unfortunately I don't and I don't care for a lot of moving. So this situations has to find a point of resolve by some legal means.
Hate to tell you this, pal, but having trees in your yard isn't illegal. Let us know how that turns out for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
i had the same problem many years ago in a previous house and realized that if I just wait a few days, the wind would blow the leaves down the street to the house on the corner with bushes to catch the wind and every year I would see him picking up the leaves from the whole block.

The only time it didn't work was when it rained and the leaves couldn't blow away.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM

3,778 posts, read 2,692,075 times
Quote:
It is tiresome to continue blowing the leaves from my driveway, and yard, at this point they all come from my neighbors tree.

I have one tree in the front which has not begin to shed its leaves, when it does its a mess, but once its cleaned up, its done.

the problem is the neighbor has these Oak type trees that litter my driveway and lawn with leaves, then when the wind blows here comes 'the neighbors pine straw and the remnants of pine buds the squirrels have eaten".

Whom ever planted all those trees in and upon a residential lot years ago, should have thought that one day those trees would be fully grown. There has to be 25-30 trees in their back yard, its a horrible mess. Maybe it was suppose to be some rustic look, but it has turned into far more than that, and now it affects my yard.
Hopefully, whoever planted those trees did think that one day the trees would be fully grown on a residential lot. We need tree canopy and large trees (and we need people with vision to plant them). Trees provide shade which reduces energy bills in the summer, block wind, can help clear the air of pollution, mitigate heavy rainfall, add oxygen back into the atmosphere, can sequester carbon dioxide, provide habitat for birds, and on and on.

Having to rake a few leaves in the fall is a small price to pay for the multitudinous benefits. And raking leaves is good exercise. But then, you use a blower, probably gas powered, to blow them away so you're stuck breathing exhaust. That would give me a headache too.

As another poster noted, trees raise property values and create desirable communities. Larger trees add more to property values. In my city, the most expensive, most desirable areas have lots of mature trees. There is a correlation.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:25 PM

412 posts, read 451,419 times
I like trees so much that I bought a whole forest of them. You think you have leaf problems?

But wait. Turns out they're not problems after all. Seems they are nature's very own natural mulch. Just give them a little time and they will compost themselves to sweet earthy smelling nothingness.

Except for those that fall on the drive or my parking areas. But wait again. It turns out nature has another trick up her pretty sleeve -- the wind. Time, and the wind, takes care of it all.

Way out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire's Joe
And they call the wind Maria

Maria blows the stars around
And sends the leaves a-flyin'
Maria makes the mountain sound
Like the leaves were up there dyin'

And all too soon they are gone for the season.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
It is tiresome to continue blowing the leaves from my driveway, and yard, at this point they all come from my neighbors tree.

I have one tree in the front which has not begin to shed its leaves, when it does its a mess, but once its cleaned up, its done.

Whom ever planted all those trees in and upon a residential lot years ago, should have thought that one day those trees would be fully grown. There has to be 25-30 trees in their back yard, its a horrible mess. Maybe it was suppose to be some rustic look, but it has turned into far more than that, and now it affects my yard.

Even my dogs don't like it when their leaves blow all over the patio in the back.

I must call the Insurance and see what are my options if the neighbors trees damage my house. It not likely they will expend the resources to have some of those trees removed. But there should be some options when situations get this out of hand on a neighbors property.

I've told my young relatives, when they buy a home, BE SURE to check condition of the Neighbors home as it relates to trees, and vines growing on the fence and other such things which can and will "intrude upon their property at some point and time". "a hard learned lesson from experience", maybe they can avoid such.
Is this the biggest issue in your life? Why are you wasting time and energy on something so trivial at the end of the day? Don't you have more important things to tend to?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
I had to do this...
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

- Joyce Kilmer

Personally, while there are some annoying nuisance trees (cottonwoods) I can put up with a neighbors 'trees' much better than their stupid annoying leaf blowers. I wish they would mulch mow the leaves instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden