U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:42 AM

2,160 posts, read 2,888,547 times

Advertisements

I don't mind rain at all having spent 6 years in Juneau. However here we have a very viscous clay soil that sticks to shoes/boots so much that I've had a good 3" on my soles before I did much in the way of work. We avoid being out in the rain. It tears up the ground, makes a muddy mess and we don't get that much accomplished. There is a "sweet spot" a few days after rains where the ground beneath the dried crust is still malleable and we use those days to pull weeds. In AK with their silty soils, gardening in the rain was an enjoyable activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:47 AM

3,260 posts, read 1,934,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
We had some slugs there, too, not as large as in the PNW, but we also had rattlesnakes. There is nothing better to get your blood moving on a cool morning than picking up the end of a piece of cardboard that's blown into your yard, only to find what you think is a rattlesnake under it. Then comes that haha, very funny moment when you realize it's not a rattlesnake after all, and you lift the cardboard up to throw it in the trash and behind that snake is another snake - a real rattler this time, and he rattles his rattles at you.

When I climbed down off the telephone pole, I decided gardening in the California hills wasn't for sissies, and since I was obviously a big sissy, why was I gardening?
Yikes! Rattlesnakes! We get garter snakes and rat snakes, and that is about it. The rat snakes can grow quite large (6-7 feet) and will attack if they are cornered. The garter snakes are kinda cute, once I get over the startle response of running into one! Some parts of NJ have copperheads and I have seen water moccasins at lakes around here, but not in my yard, TG.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:01 PM

4,654 posts, read 2,286,823 times
Water moccasins! There's another snake I'd climb a telephone pole to get away from!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 634,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't mind rain at all having spent 6 years in Juneau. However here we have a very viscous clay soil that sticks to shoes/boots so much that I've had a good 3" on my soles before I did much in the way of work. We avoid being out in the rain. It tears up the ground, makes a muddy mess and we don't get that much accomplished. There is a "sweet spot" a few days after rains where the ground beneath the dried crust is still malleable and we use those days to pull weeds. In AK with their silty soils, gardening in the rain was an enjoyable activity.
Yes, our clay soil makes it impossible to do much when it is raining here. A light mist - sure, but not if there is actual rain.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:41 AM

22,658 posts, read 21,705,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Yikes! Rattlesnakes! We get garter snakes and rat snakes, and that is about it. The rat snakes can grow quite large (6-7 feet) and will attack if they are cornered. The garter snakes are kinda cute, once I get over the startle response of running into one! Some parts of NJ have copperheads and I have seen water moccasins at lakes around here, but not in my yard, TG.
There are rattlesnakes in New Jersey, but you'll probably never see one. People look for them and can't often find one.

Wildlife Field Guide for New Jersey's Endangered and Threatened Species - Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey

Gardening in the rain? No, I don't enjoy that. If it's hot enough to want to get wet, it's just more humid after it rains. I'll weed the next day.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 AM

15,520 posts, read 6,974,941 times
I won't say that I particularly enjoy gardening in the rain, thugh I don't mind it at all in a light rain and there are things that get done better in overcast and rain. So... I enjoy gardening, and if it is raining, I guess I DO enjoy gardening in the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden