U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:54 AM

2,479 posts, read 1,706,852 times

Advertisements

I'm cleaning up my first garden in the new house and wanted to see what people do with their yard waste.

At my old house, I had some woods in the back where I could take yard trash and leave it there to compost. My new place does not have a compost bin and I was thinking it might be great to burn the yard waste.

do you burn, compost or just throw it in the trash?

I threw some of it in the trash and then realized I wouldn't have room for this weeks garbage if I kept stuffing the yard debris in the bin. it looks like I'll need 3 or 4 weeks to dispose of all the yard waste via the trash so I'm looking for alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Compost bin for small or soft stuff. Fruit tree trimmings are used for smoking meat, fish, and cheese. Larger limbs, or stuff like Juniper that I don't want in the compost, we have a burn pit and burn during the rainy season.

Any branches that are big enough are cut and split into fire wood for the wood stove.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Our city doesn't allow burning, but most people have a bin for yard waste to be picked up by the garbage collection people. I have a chipper/shredded, and mulch most of mine. I have no grass clippings, the riding mower is a mulcher.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:23 PM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
We bag it and the weekly trash pickup takes it. Branches must be bundled in 4' sections. When we had more land we either burned it or dumped it in the woods. We've considered getting a firepit to burn small stuff, but decided it would kill the grass.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,855,333 times
I maintain yards for a living, on average I have 27 yards. I take home most of the leaves and grass clippings to put in my own compost heap, the rest of the large debris, branches etc, I take to a green waste facility that grinds it all up to make compost. I take about 1 cubic yards a week to the green waste, they in turn put a smile face stamp on a card and when you have accumulated 5 smile faces, you get a cubic yard or more of compost for free. I currently have five filled cards and am working on two others, when I get too many, I give them away to friends as gift cards, they in turn get a large load of compost for their yards when they turn them in. It cost $9 to get rid of a load of debris and around $45 for a load of compost, so it is a break even, though they usually put more than a yard in my truck.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:23 PM

7,144 posts, read 12,731,599 times
I feed it to my pet alligator.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 AM

2,171 posts, read 2,894,336 times
Pretty much what Oregon does.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:12 PM

697 posts, read 2,388,552 times
I aspire to have actual compost piles but for now we just carry everything down to the woods behind our house.

Every few years the city comes through the area that we deposit things and pulverizes everything in its wake with a bush hog. Sewer lines run there and they aim to keep it relatively clear.

When we lived in SoFL we had to tie up the branches and bag the green trimmings. I really like having the woods instead.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:36 PM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Compost bin for small or soft stuff. Fruit tree trimmings are used for smoking meat, fish, and cheese. Larger limbs, or stuff like Juniper that I don't want in the compost, we have a burn pit and burn during the rainy season.

Any branches that are big enough are cut and split into fire wood for the wood stove.

Hugelbeds - hugelkultur: the ultimate raised garden beds

Rustic garden fences and trellises, teepees, support structures -
Rustic Branch Fence Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor
Build a Rustic Tuteur | Fine Gardening
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452963674997915421

I'd feel as guilty about not using organic matter produced in my yard as I'd feel about shoplifting. At the very least, I'd put an ad on the local freecycle or craig's list, offering it to someone.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:43 PM

5,119 posts, read 3,636,143 times
I will usually put a wheelbarrow or two of leaves into my composter. We have lots of bush land, so we just haul everything else into the bush to compost by itself.

In our city, for the people who don't have a bush lot, our Walmart sells a stack of large paper bags to fill with compost and they get put out to the curb on garbage collection day. On some streets with lots of large trees, you'll see multiple bags in every driveway.

After pick up, the bags go to a private family owned company that composts and sells composted soil for decent prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or