U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:05 AM

658 posts, read 1,287,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My lawn in the back yard is a dog run. I've turned my front and one side yard into garden with a path leading from the driveway, around the side of the house and over to the back gate on that side. The other side yard is all garden with two short paths to accommodate the mailman and me.
Same here, our back fenced yard is for the dogs with some fruit & shaded trees. The side yard is vegetable garden, front yard just flower beds & statuary decor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 AM

870 posts, read 1,084,166 times
My lot is 6000sqft, the back yard is around 2000sqft. Now I have a raised bed retaining wall and a walkway around the center lawn. To play any ball game or Frisbee I think it is too small, the ball would end up in the neighbors yard within 2 minutes of playing. So then it may be better to pave a bigger part of it. Kids can play on a paved patio too? So its small, making it smaller would possibly make sense. If I had an acre then playing any ballgames would be easily possible.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,732,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post

I find mowing the grass very relaxing and a very satisfying thing. You go outside, the task has a beginning and an end and there is a rhythmic seasons of life aspect that says "ah, time to mow again." I love the pure simplicity of it all..................

YES, yes, yes. Amen.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,203,028 times
Mostly to bury my victims.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:45 PM

4,184 posts, read 7,346,740 times
It's a testimony of my lack of green thumb...

Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM

3,893 posts, read 1,192,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Assuming the lawn is the usual grass species--

1. it keeps the area cooler by absorbing heat without reflecting it
2. it is literally restful to the eyes as the wavelenth reflected is in the middle of the visual spectrum
3. it is visually peaceful by being soft and monotonous
4. smells great when mowed
5. a place to wander, play, sit on lawn chairs
6. produces oxygen absorbs carbon dioxide
7. background to showcase items like patios, pottery, pools
8. sound absorber
9. keeps soil in place but lets rain percolate through to the groundwater
10. dogs and kids can run happily through it without obstruction--makes us happy

Very much true, even keeps patios and covered decks cooler.

And it is easier to scoup poop on a lawn than on a patio. I know that from experience because one of our dogs would pee on the grass and run ontot the patio to poop. Based on her actions the rest of the time I think that was deliberate.

We have no lawn on the front or side of the house, just a mess of plants and trees but I would not want to not have our lawn even though it is not that big and we no longer have dogs.

Last edited by badlander; 12-22-2015 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: i wrote cats instead of dogs for last word even though no longer have cats either

Old 12-22-2015, 02:01 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,732,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Mostly to bury my victims.
Or in my case, a pet cemetery. A corner of my lawn holds the remains of several of my kids' pets who've gone to the rainbow bridge.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:20 PM

9,555 posts, read 4,822,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What do you use your lawn for?
I googled it and couldn't find anything useful.
Can you list any real activities that someone would do on lawn every weekend?
Some people assume once you have kinds they will run around in the backyard lawn. Is it true? Do kids run around pointlessly just because they found a flat grassy surface?
Alternative uses of backyard space would be gardening, paved patios and decks (where adults can walk and sit on chairs without shoes getting dirty after the rain). Currently I have a small patio and a big lawn. Thinking on doubling the patio that would reduce the lawn by 30-40 per cent. It would not be fully reversible, so I don't know whether I would regret loosing lawn space at some point in the future.
It's a giant toilet for my two giant Great Danes

Old 12-22-2015, 02:21 PM

6,490 posts, read 5,512,129 times
As a kid we had a croquet set and also badminton. The badminton was good exercise and when the parents weren't looking we would pick kumquats off the tree and use the badminton racquets to lob them over the roof of the house into the street. Good times!

Oh, and slip 'n slide was fun too!

Nowadays, I don't really have a lawn...all wooded land except for the front yard and it is too steep for playing.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:24 PM

20,430 posts, read 30,312,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Assuming the lawn is the usual grass species--

1. it keeps the area cooler by absorbing heat without reflecting it
2. it is literally restful to the eyes as the wavelenth reflected is in the middle of the visual spectrum
3. it is visually peaceful by being soft and monotonous
4. smells great when mowed
5. a place to wander, play, sit on lawn chairs
6. produces oxygen absorbs carbon dioxide
7. background to showcase items like patios, pottery, pools
8. sound absorber
9. keeps soil in place but lets rain percolate through to the groundwater
10. dogs and kids can run happily through it without obstruction--makes us happy
Yes indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden