U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,412,428 times

Advertisements

The lawn is a vital component of my home's defensive perimeter. As intruders lurch across the bare expanse between shrubbery and house there is no cover - giving me both early warning and a nice clear chance for a head shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 04:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 861,362 times
Never had a backyard due to the previous owners opted to have a humongous black top parking lot! Do have a tad of a side yard due to the fact owners of my property sold big lawn to the guy next door and it is almost up to my sidewalk and side door. Have a postage stamp front yard but a large covered porch across the front. Nice for sitting out and very protected even when heavy rains hit. Not ideal for a pet owner except for maybe a cat.Do keep the gardens full of flowers and very beautiful. When my husband was alive he had all looking so beautiful but it will never be like again as its too hard for me to keep it up now.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 PM

5,041 posts, read 5,126,900 times
Okay, so now we learn that the issue for the OP is that he has a very small lot size, and wants to know how much to use for a lawn vs something like a patio. A patio is always nice. Most areas do have a permeable surface ordinance, however, and this might restrict the portion of the property that can be impermeable to rain water, such as patios and sidewalks. Sometimes you can get around this by using a porous aggregate instead of pavers or cement for the patio/walkway.

So, the OP should first find out how big of a paved area he would be allowed. If it is too little for his plans, he will need to find someone who specializes in using these modern aggregates and then convince the town or HOA to let him use them.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,051,906 times
before you call the cement guy to come and pave your lawn keep in mind that lawns are one of the places where rain water gets a chance to recharge the ground water.

If you're not sure why ground water is so important. have a look at the article

The State of California Is Sinking - Los Angeles Magazine

Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,492,536 times
What do you use your lawn for?

For looking at and getting frown lines, knowing that it needs cutting soon. That's about it, other than a place for our little dogs to do their pee pee's. lol

Old 12-22-2015, 08:13 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,786,273 times
Mine is a money pit. Aren't they all?

But it beats a dirt lot all to hell.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 PM

3,207 posts, read 1,802,249 times
I'm not a lawn person, so the best I can come up with are:
roll around in it
dig up worms

Old 12-22-2015, 11:46 PM

809 posts, read 565,264 times
We're on 2 1/2 heavily treed acres. Our lawn is about 110' x 100'. It has a center planting with a weeping cherry surrounded by pachysandra -- very pretty in spring and nice all rear round.

My husband uses the lawn to exercise his lawn mower.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM

945 posts, read 1,524,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The Truth? The lawns purpose is to look good. Nobody plays on them. No dogs romp around on them. No relaxing hammocks on them. No lawn seats and umbrellas on them. Just 100% pure unadulterated aesthetics.
Is this sarcasm?

Yes lawns are intended to look good, that part is correct. However I play with my dog DAILY on our lawn, he runs all around playing fetch. would i want to do this in dirt or in the woods. no. We also have a hammock in-between two trees on our lawn in the summer as well as Adirondack chairs around a fire pit. that is in the lawn.

The lawn also acts as a separation from the woods which surrounds us on all sides keeping the pests out and allowing the house to dry out.

Add me to the list of people that like to mow the lawn as well.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:10 AM

3,232 posts, read 3,437,701 times
In our NoNJ we used our backyard a lot - it was a perfectly flat yard with a couple large oak trees providing some shade in the back of the yard. It was the perfect yard for toddlers learning to run and jump, and dogs that wanted to run in circles around trees. Great for slip and slides, and sprinklers in summer. And we had GRASS, not weeds.

In our current house, the backyard has a slope to the back fence, and refuses to grow grass - it is pretty much weeds and clover at this point because NOTHING we have tried in the 10 years we've been in the house has worked. I don't know how the previous owners managed to have grass back there. We pretty much let the dogs use the backyard since the slope means it's not conducive for kids to play. We did briefly have a trampoline on the one small patch of flat yard, but after the novelty of it wore off, we sold it due to inactivity.

My hope is that sometime in the next 10-15 years (before we retire) we can dig out the backyard and put in a huge partially in-ground swimming pool and raised deck. We're waiting for our privacy hedge to completely grow into fullness before we even begin researching pools (the hedge will take at least 5-6 years to grow since we only just planted them this spring).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden