Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Our dog would actually prefer to do his thing on concrete, so that's not the lawns main function.

I'd say it serves to give the hubby something to fuss over, an excuse to chat with his little friends who are out tending their lawns, and a reason to fuss with the mechanicals, like the mower, blower, trimmer, edger, etc.

As for me, I love smelling it after it's cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM

76 posts, read 94,413 times
We live on a large slope, so our lawn is very useful in keeping the soil beneath in place when it rains. Even if we were on flat land, we would have a lawn, though. We love the green in season and the beige of the winter cover. As gardeners, the lawn helps set the stage for flower beds and trees. We love to mow and tend. Our grandchildren enjoy croquet, cornhole, tossing their football or playing soccer on the grass. We often host a neighborhood picnic in our garden and the lawn makes a perfect spot. Sometimes we simply sit out in our chairs to read, watch the birds search for worms in the grass and enjoy. No matter the day, when we get up, our first steps are to the window that overlooks our garden for a peak. I cannot imagine our home without a lawn.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, back when I was a kid, we played football on flat green surfaces, or played baseball, or any other various games. After dark, it was Ghost in the Graveyard.
But sadly, kids today have forgotten how to play outside thanks to technology.

What's wrong with kids running in fields of grass? I think they are supposed to.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech. I just wish kids weren't so 'connected' to social media so early on. That ruins their imagination, imho.

Today, as an older fellow, I use my lawn as---not much lawn. Where I live we have a naturally growing 'weed' called pusley (scientific) or 'Florida snow.' It takes over, grows low, and invites multitudes of bee
species, pollen-seeking wasps, and butterflies. Since we live on acreage, it is a field of dreams to wake up and see the pollinator community. (Honeybees, yes!)

This so-called weed is only a weed to people who don't look at it's benefits, it was here before I was, and the bees would certainly agree

We also use some of our 'lawn' space for sustainable gardening. Research the plants that are good for your climate, that can feed you and the wildlife. You'd be surprised as how much this can enrich your life, and the lives of the animals that were naturally here before us.

We have raised bed gardening, as well as three settings for people to relax and communicate. 4 small ponds for fish and frogs. It's charming to walk around here.

I suspect you being from Cali, are already thinking this way. (I so miss California!)
With the dry weather and not irrigating, the pusley took over our sunny sideyard this year and indeed looked like snow. There were so many honeybees I could hear their hum when I was outside. I love it and can enjoy it since I don't live in an HOA.

I appreciate the look of a well manicured lawn, but know the fertilizer and pesticides needed to keep lawn pristine require more work, money and chemical exposure than I want. We had a perfect lawn when I was a kid and I was sad to learn clover and dandelions were the enemy. In my yard the less chemicals and more bees, the better.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-14-2017 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
The kids play on it.

I have about 1/2 acre of nice flat land, so it's a pretty decent size lawn. Maybe 1/3 of that is the front yard which is really just landscraping, and not really used, but the back yard is where the kids play. When we moved in, it was nothing but overgrown trees with rotting limbs, leaning dangerously, and so much canopy no grass grew, it was just moss and wet rotting leaves. Too the trees out, graded it all flat, and dumped so much seed onto it the local birds are still fat.

The reward is a nice, flat, perfect green lawn. Still reducing weeds, but the density is slowing increasing to the point where hopefully I don't need to worry about that.

We are planning on adding a deck, and patio/firepit area this summer, and after that i'll replant some shade trees once I figure out the ideal layout for the yard.

Front yard is just flat grass, with some landscaping around the house, and two nice Japanese Bloodgoods framing the two sides of the house.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM

274 posts, read 252,709 times
Maintain clear lines of fire...

Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Lawn functions:

-soil retention/erosion prevention
-temperature moderation
-security (reduces cover used by tresspassers)
-aesthetics
-fire break
-reduces danger from falling trees/branches especially in storm prone areas
-reduces runoff/flooding
-creates area comfortable for bare feet
-provides surface for lawn games/activities like croquet, bocce, golf practice
-provides an outlet for a gardening niche (lawn care as recreation)
-reduces pest habitat (mice/rats/ticks/other insects)
-recuces mud and debris in areas with foot traffic

Lawns are not always appropriate, such as in desert or drought prone areas, and they can be very high maintenance for some people. Additionally, many of the above advantages can be acheived through xeriscaping, meadow/wildflower plots, intensive garden plots, orchards, manicured woodlands, and other landscaping and landscape architecture such as decks and patios. However, an appropriate and well maintained lawn is generally an advantageous domestic land use.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,942 times
Personally, I use it mostly for Camaro parking. My dogs seem to like having a lawn as well, though they don't have any cars of their own.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Depending on where you live, lawns can be real water hogs. Most people don't use front yards much at all, and back yards are debatable. When our kids were young, we had no lawn at all. Just patio, deck, garden, etc. They played lots of games without grass. There was plenty of lawn at the soccer field, parks, school yard, etc. It is not a good idea to have all/most of your yard paved, as you do need area to absorb rain if you have trees. Also, if everyone paved their yards, we would have even more problems with run-off pollution and groundwater. You should think about your lifestyle and what you need before deciding. It might help to visit other yards for ideas.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Front lawn:

Atlatl field.

Dig up worms for fishing.

Singing in the rain.

Laying on.

The boys crew team used to come over and work out on the front lawn when my son lived at home (and my daughters liked to sit on the porch and watch them).

Mowing.

Looking at.

Attracting deer and rabbits.

Playing fetch with the dogs.

Watching fireworks on the river.

Frisbee tossing.

Party/Barbque overflow space.

Snow fort/snowball fights or snowman building.

Snow angles.

Holiday decorations.

Picnics.

Dancing.

Photographs.

rolling (we have a bit of a hill in the front)

Croquet.

Bocci Ball.

air tunnel tent habitrail thingy for little kids.

chasing geese and swans.

Sitting on the bench and staring at the water or geese/swans, or a freighter that goes by twice a year.

Bus stop

Parking overflow (if it is not muddy)

Back lawn (not much lawn much of it is wooded.):

Dog run.

Knife/axe range.

Archery range.

Trampoline.

Bonfire pit.

Chicken coop/run

outdoor parties/barbques

camping practice or drying out tents.

play fetch with the dogs.

We water the front lawn some years if august is really dry. We do not water the back. We do have to mow once a week for six months. We use a lawn tractor and it takes about 20 minutes. Sometimes we trim around the trees and the bench.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-19-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
When I get old, I can come outside and yell "Get off my lawn"

There probably will not be anyone around, but hey, it is on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden