U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 AM

358 posts, read 593,663 times

Advertisements

I brought my houseplants in from the deck before a cold night. Didn't treat for ants before doing so. What is the best product to use to treat them now? I've seen what happens when they winter inside a potted plant... In the past I've used Home Defense... Thank you in advance for any suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM

6,932 posts, read 12,350,755 times
My parents swore by using nothing but corn meal to get rid of ants. Said they'll carry it back to their colony and it will kill them all. All I know is we moved in their house and haven't seen any ants. It's also safe if you have other pets, youngsters or "grand" youngsters around that might get into it.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:17 AM

274 posts, read 142,627 times
Terro works well.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 604,629 times
The cornflour thing has some weight.

I also remember that sprinkling it about deters them because they cant walk properly

Ive got ants at the moment and im dealing with it by getting rid of what theyre after

which in my case is the catfood

ive stood the dry stuff in a bowl of water (they drown) and removing all food and food bowls immediately

I spray flyspray if I wake up and find a hoard on a breadcrumb

Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,930,593 times
You may want to check out this sticky in the House forum:

Do it yourself roach, flea, bedbug, spider and pest control

I hate ants!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
The cornflour thing has some weight.

I also remember that sprinkling it about deters them because they cant walk properly

Ive got ants at the moment and im dealing with it by getting rid of what theyre after

which in my case is the catfood

ive stood the dry stuff in a bowl of water (they drown) and removing all food and food bowls immediately

I spray flyspray if I wake up and find a hoard on a breadcrumb
I have used both of these "ant free" pet food bowls, with success:

Pet Supplies : Ant Free Pet Bowls 2 Pack for $ 31.90 : Ant Proof Pet Bowl : Amazon.com

Pet Supplies : Petmate Jumbo Fool-A-Bug Bowl 23308, Assorted Colors : Food Bowls : Amazon.com

They are both big for cats. Sometimes I put a regular small cat bowl inside the big ant-free bowl.

The more expensive one seems to work a little better. My ants can't figure out how to climb it. I can't figure out exactly why it is so expensive, but I was so frustrated with unwelcome ants that I gladly paid the price for it.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,358,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Terro works well.
Ditto's!

Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 604,629 times
My budget wont stretch to $30 cat bowls

at the moment im really struggling with em theyre everywhere on the floor

one tiny speck of cat food and theres an entire chain going from the front door through the living room into the kitchen then back out the kitchen door

Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 8,844,467 times
I only use organics and make my own spray from feverfew daisy, aka pyrethrum, It grows in my yard and in many of the yards that I maintain. Pyrethrum is a natural and affective insect control. The plant is both an insecticidal and a medicinal thus the name Feverfew. If I have an ant problem, I spray a mix of the plant and dish soap along their trails and if the nest is visible, all over the nest to the point of saturation and in just a few short minutes, the ants are dead. Works on all insects, so caution on using it on bee attracting plants. I plant it along the perimets of the house and as a companion for roses and citrus, it keeps the ants away and along with that, the aphids and scale that ants utilize. For dogs a good home made dog shampoo can be made with the feverfew plant and or flowers that have been steeped in hot water, strained then added to a good dog shampoo. Though they already do make a dog flea shampoo made with pyrethrum.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
My budget wont stretch to $30 cat bowls

at the moment im really struggling with em theyre everywhere on the floor

one tiny speck of cat food and theres an entire chain going from the front door through the living room into the kitchen then back out the kitchen door
The cheaper bowl is $8.01. I don't know why the other type of bowls are only sold in 2-packs, but they are. I was able to use 2 of them, so the price was not quite as bad on a per-bowl basis. I get the budget thing, though.

Have you tried spraying Windex on their ant trail? my brother swears by that method, says it covers the scent that the other ants follow.

Did I mention I hate ants??

If only they made a fly-proof bowl, I would be all set....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or