U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,823 times

Advertisements

Hello all
The old question about my gardenia tree plant. I'm getting yellow leaves on it now. I live in Pennsylvania, not a good place for gardenias. It's inside the home now of course, and believe or not it is producing multiple buds and they are flouring every few days. I have 2 grow lights on it 12 hours a day. The socket type in a tree lamp. It says to keep soil moist. I believe i do that and try watering only when soil looks some what dry. Room i have it in gets to around 60s. No sight of bugs or disease.I sprayed it once this fall for bugs even though i didn't see any. Room dose not get real warm or hot. should i let it get dry on top of soil longer. By spring the branches will have very little leaves. Seems like mostly the middle and near bottom of the branches get yellow leaves. Top branches get little bit of yellow leaves. but i was surprised to get buds starting a month ago. Anyone have a magic concoction mix (LOL) or something to help me. Because of how good it is doing flowering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 02:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,433,727 times
I really do not have any advice because you seem to have everything going well for your gardenia tree.

Pick the yellow leaves off of your tree, and I think you will find that a gardenia tree is very hardy. You are doing a lot more than I do with my gardenia tree. I water mine once a week from spring to late fall with Roberta's Spray and Flourish. During the summer, I keep it outside on the deck, but now I either have it in my cabana or in my sun room--both provide lots of sun.

My tree is at last 10 years old and it is flourishing. Luckily, we have had such a mild fall into winter that it was able to stay outside most of the year. During the winter, I water it when I think about it. I did take advantage of the rain we had several weeks ago to make sure that it was well saturated.

So, I have no magic concoction except the Spray and Flourish, but I have also used Miracle Grow. As long as mine get vitamins, it does well. Good luck with yours.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:33 PM

38,308 posts, read 44,064,777 times
They're acid loving plants so you should be using Miracid instead of regular Miracle Gro. Sounds like they might have a nitrogen and/or iron deficiency.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 AM

25,631 posts, read 28,636,496 times
Chlorosis most likely.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,386,073 times
Forget the suggestion to give the plant "vitamins". Plants make their own vitamins. Plants need minerals contained in soil and fertilizers.

If you're noticing yellowing leaves at the base but not at the tip of the branches, it's usually due to lack of adequate nitrogen or potassium (or lack of sun and water.) Feed it lightly with Miracid (1 tsp/ga water) every other week. If your water is alkaline (like mine), you can lower the water's pH by adding some white vinegar to the irrigation water.

I grow mine outdoors in a large pot; it's dormant now, but healthy green. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:42 AM

9,714 posts, read 3,753,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
They're acid loving plants so you should be using Miracid instead of regular Miracle Gro. Sounds like they might have a nitrogen and/or iron deficiency.
Good answer! Chances are it's lacking iron in the soil. Most acid loving plants need additional iron once in a while.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,537,523 times
gweedow,
Your gardenia is doing fine. It's flowering, so it's happy.
All gardenias get yellow leaves, if they are outside all year, they get alot
of yellow leaves in the fall, if inside like yours, you can get them through out
the winter. Yellow leaves are normal. No biggie. Ignore them.
Go buy yourself a moisture meter. Seriously, they are cheap and it will save you
a lot of heartache loosing your plants by over watering them.
You stick the moisture meter down in to the pot by the plants roots, to see if they
are moist or not. You will be surprised at how moist the roots can be and the top of
the soil looks really dry.
Especially since you have it inside with the heater on drying the air out.
I use Foliage Pro on my house plants diluted to half strength. It's the best
fertilizer I ever used. You can buy it online. A little bit goes a long way, and you can use it
for any of your plants.
With gardenias, don't fertilize it while it is blooming. Wait til all the buds are done blooming,
then fertilize it. This rule is for gardenias, I'm not talking about other plants.
Congrats on your gardenia!
Wish you had posted a pic.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 623 times
I have the same problem with my gardenia, but my doesn't give me flower, I have for a year now. I live in Miami and she is outside, thanks everyone for the advice very helpful I will try Foliage Pro.

Last edited by gardendecorplanet; 02-19-2017 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: I will love to post a picture

Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 PM

38,308 posts, read 44,064,777 times
They are acid loving plants, have you been regularly feeding it gardenia/azalea formulated fertilizer.
Fertilizer for Gardenias
Fertilize Your Gardenias
Gardenias love acid-rich soils, and the soil pH should be between 5 and 6, with an ideal of 5.5. Before applying fertilizer, have the soil pH tested. If the pH is higher and on the alkaline side, or above 7, a soil acidifier helps bring it back to the level gardenias love.
Here's an example: Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea Camellia Rhododendron Plant Food - Miracid Plant Food - Miracle-Gro

Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM

33,507 posts, read 41,699,493 times
I am having the same problem with mine. It is my habit to fertilize all my plants on "the holidays". Here in the south, this is St Patricks, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day.
This year I have just put on my first application of granular fertilizer for acid loving plants a month early. We've had such a mild winter that everything seems to be blooming and leafing out earlier.
So, OP, at about the last date of frost, give your plant a sprinkle of fertilizer for acid lovers, also your azaleas and rhododendrons, hollies, etc. and theyll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden