U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,771,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I use lots of smaller containers that I got at HD! They have a series of green, terra-cotta and black containers that come in several sizes and are "dirt" cheap. I think I have about 30 various sizes of the green ones now and I LOVE them to pieces. They're perfect for smaller crops - root veggies, lettuces, herbs.

I think I jumped the gun...our frost date is mid-April, and while the lettuce/cilantro/greens pot is bursting with seedlings, nothing yet from the radish/carrots. The potatoes just look sad.

And since it looks as though we'll have a white Palm Sunday, out comes the tarp. Maybe we can take a picture before the snow flies.

Tomato seedlings already? Awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
It's exciting to see the green seedlings--at least in pictures.

I've brought in some compost and put it into a planter. I'll plant the lettuce seeds. Oh no! I have to bring in more compost so I can plant a tomato plant. Last year I got a plain tomato plant from HD and it turned out to be an HEIRLOOM tomato. Saved the seeds in the fridge and hope they grow!

I have an enclosed porch although I think I'll start them in the house where it's warmer and then move them to the porch.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:25 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,139,307 times
Default April 19, 2016 Update!

I'm going to make this relatively brief and then do a big update later in May when I have some more free time!

The weather lately has been rather stormy, but April overall has been quite a bit warmer than normal. We're heading into a period of 70s beginning in two days and that should bode well for things already planted outdoors. Hopefully any thunderstorms we receive this weekend will hold off until I can get some yard work completed!

I direct sowed 6 different varieties of loose-leaf lettuce on 03/06/16 - (1) Sunset, (2) Oaky Red Splash, (3) Salad Bowl, (4) Henderson's Black-Seeded Simpson, (5) Red Sails and (6) I don't recall the last one because I am typing this on my lunch break and can't go look outside. Sometimes I have to do these updates when I have time. All are doing very well with the exception of Sunset, but I think it's because the container isn't level and so it's getting uneven watering. My fault. The others are doing exceptionally well and, in fact, I harvest my first large bowl of lettuce for salads (alongside pasta with sauce canned from last season's tomatoes) and it was truly delicious. I've said it before and I'll say it again - home grown lettuce is one of my favorite cool season crops to grow - it grows quickly, comes back 3 or 4 times before fading and provides a nutritious meal every single day. I will be planting some heat tolerant varieties I recently purchased in a week or two and hope to be harvesting some sort of lettuce all summer long. Photos below showing the containers filled with gorgeous lettuce.

Also from the garden I've harvested a few French Breakfast radishes. White Icicle radishes and Extra Dwarf Pak Choy still have a ways to go, but they should be ready soon. All of these were also planted on 03/06/16 when it was 75, then buried under more than 2' of snow, then had 75 again before being buried in another foot. It's a wonder anything grows here before May.

All of the peppers are doing well - I topped them all a few weeks ago and they are trying to flower profusely. Picking off blossoms is a daily affair with only 35 plants. I'll be planting 18 with the rest to go to family and neighbors. Photos below show how sturdy they are after the topping-off process.

The two varieties of tomatoes I've been growing under my lights since February are doing very well. In fact, several of the plants have ripening tomatoes on them as we speak. The Micro Toms are only about 8" tall and the Hahms Gelbes are about 16" tall with rather large cherry tomatoes on them. I am excited to taste the first ripe tomatoes from each very soon! Photos below show some ripening tomatoes.

The rest of the tomatoes that will go outside are doing extremely well. I transplanted half of them into larger pots last evening and will complete that process tonight, hopefully.

The sweet basil, parsley, oregano, cilantro and thyme are all doing just find under the lights. I also have 3 eggplants that are doing ridiculously well so far.

I mentioned earlier that I "might" venture into fruit this season - well, I did. I ordered 4 bare root fruit trees (Bosc pear, Starking Delicious pear, Starkcrimson Sweet cherry, Violette de Bordeaux fig), one bare root blueberry (BrazelBerry), 10 bare root raspberries (5 Joan J and 5 Heritage), one currant (Jonkheer von Tets) and 100 bare root strawberry plants (25 Cabot June bearing, 25 Surecrop June bearing, 25 San Andreas ever bearing and 25 Evie 2 ever bearing). The June bearing strawberries and all raspberries will be planted in-ground with everything else going into whiskey barrels. I will submit pictures later on once everything has been planted.

So that's about it for now. I will make my master list of all things garden in my next update! I think I've changed the list of tomatoes a bit, but plans still include around 30. I'll have 18 peppers, 2 squash, 2 zucchini, 6 cucumbers, 6 melons and one eggplant. I don't expect much fruit this season with the exception of the ever bearing strawberries and perhaps some raspberries. Otherwise, next season should be VERY fruitful.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2016 Container Garden-img_2811.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2812.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2813.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2805.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2806.jpg  

My 2016 Container Garden-img_2808.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2809.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2810.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2807.jpg  

Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 PM

Wow! Doing great, NickMan. I haven't yet had success with any lettuce, aside from years ago when we grew iceberg and romaine in the snow.

I picked some wild cress the other day, which tells you how desperate we are. But there's Salad Hope....the carrots are actually starting to grow.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Wow! Doing great, NickMan. I haven't yet had success with any lettuce, aside from years ago when we grew iceberg and romaine in the snow.

I picked some wild cress the other day, which tells you how desperate we are. But there's Salad Hope....the carrots are actually starting to grow.
Yay! I've never had wild cress - is it a mild green or peppery like arugula? I know you have pretty good luck with carrots - I have mediocre luck at best! They're kind of challenging in containers anyway, so I probably won't try them again for a while.

I am getting excited to plant outdoors - it's always a lot of work getting everything hardened off, but it's so worth the trouble when you start harvesting things you grew yourself!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM

64,995 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Quote:
I'm going to make this relatively brief and then do a big update later in May when I have some more free time!

The weather lately has been rather stormy, but April overall has been quite a bit warmer than normal. We're heading into a period of 70s beginning in two days and that should bode well for things already planted outdoors. Hopefully any thunderstorms we receive this weekend will hold off until I can get some yard work completed!
The Upper Low finally left! Holy cow. It was stuck over you for days on end providing snow and clouds around.

How did you fair with the snowstorm. I saw there were some damage to trees and power outages in Denver metro area.. Any damage to crops? I saw the mountains got 3-5 feet of snow!

Here's a map of the snowfall from the storm.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:34 PM

64,995 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Nick, How did your garden fair with this snowfall in Denver? Any pictures of the snow and your garden?

https://twitter.com/DOMTIBERI/status/722180777476288512

Old 04-20-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yay! I've never had wild cress - is it a mild green or peppery like arugula? I know you have pretty good luck with carrots - I have mediocre luck at best! They're kind of challenging in containers anyway, so I probably won't try them again for a while.

I am getting excited to plant outdoors - it's always a lot of work getting everything hardened off, but it's so worth the trouble when you start harvesting things you grew yourself!

Wild or winter cress tastes a lot like watercress, a little like rocket. It shoots up a stalk of bright yellow flowers which are also edible, and some years we have a bumper crop. Not this year! This year it's dandelions.

I made dandelion wine---once.

Okay, I can win the carrot contest, yay! You win the Everything Else category.

We just priced some lettuce seeds in a packet. Nearly three bucks! Nothing like peppers or tomatoes can go out yet, since our frost date is still a little way off.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The Upper Low finally left! Holy cow. It was stuck over you for days on end providing snow and clouds around.

How did you fair with the snowstorm. I saw there were some damage to trees and power outages in Denver metro area.. Any damage to crops? I saw the mountains got 3-5 feet of snow!

Here's a map of the snowfall from the storm.

Hey there, Cam! I haven't heard of major issues with crops because it's still just the start of the growing season here. In our area north of Denver, we had MUCH less snow than areas further south. A coworker who lives near Conifer received 51" at her house. We might've had 8" at our house, but the most we had on the ground was perhaps 4". It was gone by Sunday afternoon with temps in the 40s. Lots of tree damage in the south side of town, too, but not much in our neck of the woods. The north got hit infinitely harder with the previous storm on March 23 which caused tons of tree damage. Glad we didn't have a repeat. Now the entire city and mountains have had their chance and it's time for it to be warm and sunny, darn it! Of course, we can see snow through the month of May, though the average is less than 2". Here's hoping fro just rain from here on out.

My lettuce boxes are inside small greenhouse cloches and fared just fine, as did the radishes and pak choy which have now been buried in snow twice. It slows their momentum temporarily, but they pick right back up once the snow melts and the sun shines. I worry much more about cold temps (below 20 or so) than I do wet, heavy snow. The snow is more beneficial for my containers than harmful. The new strawberries and fruit trees took it all in stride - no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by NickMan7; 04-21-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nick, How did your garden fair with this snowfall in Denver? Any pictures of the snow and your garden?

https://twitter.com/DOMTIBERI/status/722180777476288512
Unfortunately, I did not take photos of this storm because it really didn't hit my area hard, but I have attached photos below of the storm we got on March 23, 2016. We received 25" of snow from this storm, the second largest storm since we built our house in 2005.

First few photos are out front, last few are of the backyard and measuring tape when it was at 24".. and, yes, the second to last photo before the measuring tape is the garden. Those humps of snow are the Earthboxes buried by about 18" of snow (they themselves are almost a foot tall)..
Attached Thumbnails
My 2016 Container Garden-img_2730.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2731.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2732.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2737.jpg   My 2016 Container Garden-img_2738.jpg  

My 2016 Container Garden-img_2740.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or