Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 AM

4,522 posts, read 3,716,678 times

Advertisements

I’ve learned a lot in this past year about native gardening. We had our adjacent lot cleared of invasive Brazilian Pepper trees and I’ve planted 15+ native trees along with native plants for pollinators. I have swamp milkweed for Monarchs, passionfruit vine and corkystem for Gulf fritillary and longwing zebras and many nectar plants they all like, most native, a few FL friendly and some invasive.

I’ve seen fewer Monarchs than last year, but many more zebra longwings. I don’t spray any pesticides or herbicides, I never did before, but I’m rethinking neem oil and other “natural” remedies. Everything has an impact further down the line. I’m doing the best I can to make my garden/yard a safe haven for pollinators, but not using heroic efforts to save any one species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:39 AM

7,134 posts, read 4,969,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I remember seeing Monarch forests on a TV show a while ago - it WAS magical to watch, so many of them. It makes me sick thinking how people can just bulldoze the trees and build condos, malls, whatever and all the living things that made their home there are displaced - where do they go? That's why there are less and less Monarchs around, just like the honey bees, and all the endangered living things. The politicians don't think of it boomeranging back - you mess with the ecosystem and Nature is changed forever and it affects everyone in the long run, but for many the mighty dollar and greed overrides the future. There is always a price to pay.

The problem of habitat loss for the Monarchs isn't so great here as compared to Mexico-- those Monarch host mountain forests are being cut down and replaced with avocado groves to supply the needs of American party goers for their avocado dip. ...When you buy an avocado, check for the stamp on it-- only buy the CA grown or the Mexican with the stamp that says it comes form the "old growth" growers association.

BTW- Monarchs may need milkweed as its host plant for laying eggs, but they need other plants for food. Don't forget to protect all those wild flowers that many call weeds- thistle, wild carrot, cone flowers etc.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:31 PM

50,019 posts, read 63,359,544 times
I just got common milkweed seeds from American Meadows, to donate. The local grade school is making a butterfly garden.

I was planning on keeping some seeds for my garden, but then I thought, why do I want to attract caterpillars to my yard?

Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
BTW- Monarchs may need milkweed as its host plant for laying eggs, but they need other plants for food. Don't forget to protect all those wild flowers that many call weeds- thistle, wild carrot, cone flowers etc.
Yes, but just so people understand that Monarch caterpillars ONLY eat milkweed. They will die rather than eat anything else. Adult Monarchs will take nectar from other flowers, and I'm all in favor of growing all kinds of flowers to attract a variety of butterflies, but if you want to help Monarchs survive, you have to have milkweed.

I've had lots of Monarch caterpillars this summer and have taken many inside to raise. A few were parasitized by tachinid flies, but most survived. I'm taking a break now because my milkweed plants are pretty much stripped of their leaves by all the caterpillars.

I also raised five Swallowtail caterpillars which I found on a fennel plant. All of those survived and the butterflies have been released. I find them even more beautiful and interesting than Monarchs, actually. I wish more people would plant fennel, carrots and parsley to attracts them.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:15 PM

17,117 posts, read 56,763,506 times
Well I have more milkweed this year, but I so far have not seen any butterflies or caterpillars. Possibly here in Eastern WA, we are not on the migration path?

Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well I have more milkweed this year, but I so far have not seen any butterflies or caterpillars. Possibly here in Eastern WA, we are not on the migration path?
My sister lived for many years in Wenatchee, and was a huge butterfly enthusiast / amateur entomologist (she died last year). She told me that there was a native milkweed, but she never saw any monarchs, although there were plenty of other butterflies. She also speculated that they were not on the migration path. Here in SoCal, monarchs are permanent residents and don't migrate, but perhaps they cannot overwinter in Central & Eastern WA.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 PM

17,117 posts, read 56,763,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My sister lived for many years in Wenatchee, and was a huge butterfly enthusiast / amateur entomologist (she died last year). She told me that there was a native milkweed, but she never saw any monarchs, although there were plenty of other butterflies. She also speculated that they were not on the migration path. Here in SoCal, monarchs are permanent residents and don't migrate, but perhaps they cannot overwinter in Central & Eastern WA.

Given that we see teens and 20's for lows about every year, and I have seen -20F here at least once, yeah, not many adult insects can over-winter here. Certainly not a butterfly.

Well, I will let the milkweed grow anyway.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,969,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, but just so people understand that Monarch caterpillars ONLY eat milkweed. They will die rather than eat anything else. Adult Monarchs will take nectar from other flowers, and I'm all in favor of growing all kinds of flowers to attract a variety of butterflies, but if you want to help Monarchs survive, you have to have milkweed.

I've had lots of Monarch caterpillars this summer and have taken many inside to raise. A few were parasitized by tachinid flies, but most survived. I'm taking a break now because my milkweed plants are pretty much stripped of their leaves by all the caterpillars.

I also raised five Swallowtail caterpillars which I found on a fennel plant. All of those survived and the butterflies have been released. I find them even more beautiful and interesting than Monarchs, actually. I wish more people would plant fennel, carrots and parsley to attracts them.

I agree about swallowtails.

Many trees are also host &/or nectar plants for butterflies. Tiger swallowtails like black cherry trees.
https://butterfly-fun-facts.com/many...ies-and-moths/

Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,725,464 times
I hand raised over 100 monarch butterflies this summer. I have wild milkweed growing in my garden and at my side yard. I would inspect for monarch eggs and caterpillars daily (sometimes twice daily), and place them inside a netted container where they'd be fed fresh milkweed from the garden. My reason for doing this was because I have watched far too many wasps and big ants eat caterpillars, so every one I saved was one less another predatory insect consumed.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,125,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem of habitat loss for the Monarchs isn't so great here as compared to Mexico-- those Monarch host mountain forests are being cut down and replaced with avocado groves to supply the needs of American party goers for their avocado dip. ...When you buy an avocado, check for the stamp on it-- only buy the CA grown or the Mexican with the stamp that says it comes form the "old growth" growers association.

Thank you for the excellent information about avocados! I did not know this but will be very mindful from now on that I buy only the avocados grown in CA. I will also be more conservative in cutting back "weeds", I always thought they were pretty anyway. I think what are sometimes called "weeds" is called that just based on what a person thinks are "weeds", another person may think they are very pretty and colorful, well I always thought that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden