U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 PM

3,642 posts, read 5,497,937 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC. What plants should I put here? I would love to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 AM

8,764 posts, read 17,166,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
This will be my third year doing my part. A word of caution to all beginners! Please make sure any milkweeds you do plant are native to your area, as it can have a very bad effect on the overall health of the monarch.
Also anyone growing tropical milkweed in the southern states should cut the flower heads off your plants early to mid fall. it has been found that it disrupts the transients in their quest to finalize their migration. Let me see if I can find a pic of one actually laying an egg on my incarnata.
l

Thanks for your photos and other information - I will definitely send for some seeds to grow some this year.
I'm on the same Island as you so I shouldn't have a problem growing the plants.

Thanks for the link to the seeds, no kudzo !

Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 AM

1,537 posts, read 646,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I live in NYC. What plants should I put here? I would love to help!
If are growing in pots or containers, Asclepias curassavica (Butterfly flower) is the one you want. You will need more than one plant tho. Monarch cats are voracious eaters. Otherwise all three I mentioned above will grow in your area just fine.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 AM

30,570 posts, read 38,145,111 times
Here's my issue with butterflies...Why would I want to attract things that turn into caterpillars that eat my plants? I do like looking at them, but I am always torn.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's my issue with butterflies...Why would I want to attract things that turn into caterpillars that eat my plants? I do like looking at them, but I am always torn.
I just think it is the excitement of nature doing what it's supposed to do, and I'm/we are doing our part to help it along. No one says you have to put all your eggs, um milkweed in one basket. Plant some out of eyesight, and when you find a cat munching away, just move it to that area. If there is any way I can help the critters survive what they are now up against, I'm on board.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 AM

208 posts, read 187,741 times
You have a beautiful garden, LIcenter, and thanks for the links, nokudzu. I looked online last year for a place to get seeds but no luck. I'll definitely plant some this year.

I also like to plant a healthy amount of parsley in my garden, to share with the caterpillars. They love it!

Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 PM

19 posts, read 16,410 times
cabelas in my area has been giving away free seed packets (milkweed) encouraging residents to help out the monarchs

Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,242,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
remember that they are attracted to the milkweeds because that's pretty much the only thing the caterpillars eat. most of the milk weeds will come back even after being stripped bare so don't worry about it.

asclepias currasivica is tropical milk weed and may not come back if you are cooler than zone 8 (ie 1-7).

ordinary milk weed is hard to find because many of the plants are invasive especially asclepias tuberosa also known as swamp weed. it will agressively send out runners as well as have lots of seeds to disperse. luckily the milkweeds are easily controlled by round up (glyphosate) which is also the reason why the Monarch food source is putting the butterflies at risk.

milkweeds have deep tap roots, so they may not do well in a container unless it's relatively tall (ie 1-2 ft tall)

I started with just a small hand full of seeds and only 2 seedlings made it to the garden but they produce plenty of seeds which you will need to watch like a hawk because once they open they'll get carried away like wishes.

be careful about what you're looking for a. curassavica looks alot like a. tuberosa

I'm growing:

asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed)

asclepias speciosa (showy milkweed)

Old 01-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
remember that they are attracted to the milkweeds because that's pretty much the only thing the caterpillars eat. most of the milk weeds will come back even after being stripped bare so don't worry about it.

asclepias currasivica is tropical milk weed and may not come back if you are cooler than zone 8 (ie 1-7).

ordinary milk weed is hard to find because many of the plants are invasive especially asclepias tuberosa also known as swamp weed. it will agressively send out runners as well as have lots of seeds to disperse. luckily the milkweeds are easily controlled by round up (glyphosate) which is also the reason why the Monarch food source is putting the butterflies at risk.

milkweeds have deep tap roots, so they may not do well in a container unless it's relatively tall (ie 1-2 ft tall)

I started with just a small hand full of seeds and only 2 seedlings made it to the garden but they produce plenty of seeds which you will need to watch like a hawk because once they open they'll get carried away like wishes.

be careful about what you're looking for a. curassavica looks alot like a. tuberosa

I'm growing:

asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed)

asclepias speciosa (showy milkweed)
Agree with most of your post, but asclepias tuberosa is not Swamp weed. Asclepias incarnata is, which will spread by runners, and a multitude of many seeds. Tuberosa has a tremendous tap root, but spreads by seed. Common Milkweed is a true native to the eastern seaboard, but very hard to find in a plant form. I just hooked up with a online buddy who has this plant popping up all over the outer perimeter of
his yard, and will be sending me some this spring, which delights me to no end!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,242,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
asclepias tuberosa is not Swamp weed. Asclepias incarnata is
I stand corrected. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden