U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM

3,642 posts, read 5,498,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's up to us to give them what they need or their numbers will continue to decrease drastically.

Ten ways to save monarch butterflies - Houston Chronicle

FREE SEEDS

https://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm

Their migration pattern

Monarch Butterfly Migration and Overwintering
Just got my seeds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 PM

11,922 posts, read 26,969,858 times
I bought some Ascelpias tuberosa seeds off of eBay, I stratified them in the fridge in a moist paper towel for two weeks, then planted them in jiffy pots. I peeked at them today and noticed them sprouting! This will be the first time I've grown them, so hopefully they'll do well here.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:20 AM

1,537 posts, read 646,782 times
So nice to see many are jumping in to do their part. The monarchs took a pretty good hit in Mexico from an unusual winter storm this year. There should already be sightings in Texas, but as yet there are none. Fingers crossed it is only the large rainstorms they are encountering coming up that is slowing them down. There has been sightings of monarch aerial sex in a few places along the flyway, which should bring us hope all is going to be okay. There is also a movement going on now to get them put on the endangered list.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:24 PM

194 posts, read 150,068 times
I am about to order 100 common milkweed, I live in western michigan, I assume those will do just fine here? I'll read up on how to start these buggers.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
I am about to order 100 common milkweed, I live in western michigan, I assume those will do just fine here? I'll read up on how to start these buggers.
I was fortunate enough to find a local garden center that will be stocking them this year. Good on you for ordering those seeds, just keep in mind most milkweed seeds have a very low germination rate, so don't get too discouraged if you don't get too many plants from those 100 seeds.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:44 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,243,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I was fortunate enough to find a local garden center that will be stocking them this year. Good on you for ordering those seeds, just keep in mind most milkweed seeds have a very low germination rate, so don't get too discouraged if you don't get too many plants from those 100 seeds.
make sure the garden center hasn't treated the plants in any way that might harm monarchs. ie insecticide sprays etc

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
make sure the garden center hasn't treated the plants in any way that might harm monarchs. ie insecticide sprays etc
Good point gunslinger. I always ask who their plant suppliers are, and do research on the grower before buying. There are only three garden centers that I frequent knowing they also follow safe plant practice.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Update on the monarchs:
Many have been spotted in southern Texas. A little later than normal, but a good sign non the least.
Monarch spring migration map link below for all who are interested.

https://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/monarch.html

Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM

3,762 posts, read 4,137,650 times
I saw one Monarch in San Antonio on the 3rd, before the storm that hit the Mexico sanctuary, but didn't report it. It's very hard to find any safe milkweed at nurseries...most employees have no clue what's been applied to the plants (usually the nurseries get them from growers located elsewhere) and if it's systemic pesticides it'll be present in the plant for a long time. I have some natives milkweed plants I grew from seed, but also have some Tropical Milkweed. I'm hoping they didn't lose too many Monarchs in Mexico! Oh, and I have seen a couple of hummingbird this week...I'm west of San Antonio.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 PM

889 posts, read 526,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's up to us to give them what they need or their numbers will continue to decrease drastically.

FREE SEEDS

https://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm
I ordered the seeds so I'm patiently (rather impatiently!) awaiting their arrival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden