U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 AM

1,537 posts, read 646,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
My apologies, I had butterflies on my brain.
No apologies necessary. At least you are out there paying attention. Many people would have just stepped on that cat, and called it a day. I'm on another site that has a butterfly expert who shows up every so often. If it's okay with you I would like to show him your pics to get a better handle on what you documented. In the meantime keep doing what you are doing for natures sake. Your one of the good guys in my book.

Side note: I need to pass the love around before I can pass some more on to you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 PM

3,642 posts, read 5,497,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I'm on Staten Island too. I ordered mine from Amazon and just typed in Butterfly garden seeds. I ordered these

Amazon.com : Earthcare Seeds Butterfly Garden Flower Seeds 1000 Seeds : Flowering Plants : Patio, Lawn & Garden

and they grew like weeds and I don't have a green thumb at all. I even saw some butterflies, mostly Monarchs.
I ordered from the website. I may order even more to give away.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 PM

3,642 posts, read 5,497,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I'm on Staten Island too. I ordered mine from Amazon and just typed in Butterfly garden seeds. I ordered these

Amazon.com : Earthcare Seeds Butterfly Garden Flower Seeds 1000 Seeds : Flowering Plants : Patio, Lawn & Garden

and they grew like weeds and I don't have a green thumb at all. I even saw some butterflies, mostly Monarchs.
I ordered from the website on the original post. I may order even more to give away.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,462,351 times
I was very surprised to see a couple of Monarchs the other day. I don't usually see them this early. One was on my zinnias, and one was on my daylilies. Always glad to see them!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I was very surprised to see a couple of Monarchs the other day. I don't usually see them this early. One was on my zinnias, and one was on my daylilies. Always glad to see them!
Saw my first one on the 5th of July, which is very early for my area also. I usually see them around the second week of August. From my understanding those would be second generation monarchs. And yesterday this is what I saw. A first generation!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM

894 posts, read 295,095 times
I just noticed the first Monarchs of the year here too--coinciding perfectly with the blooming of the volunteer milkweeds I allow to grow unmolested in my vegetable patch.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 AM

4,033 posts, read 7,715,257 times
I saw one in my garden last week and, then, yesterday at the park. I'm pretty excited, as these are the first monarchs I've ever seen in this area since I moved here 5 years ago.

My milkweed had some difficulty coming up this year but I planted some Echinacea purpurea and I saw the monarch in my garden vigorously feeding on it.

Helping the monarchs has become an obsession for me and I am going to throw down as much milkweed seed in my garden as possible for the upcoming spring.

In fact, I am thinking of pulling up the Rose Campion that is in my garden, as it isn't native and, as far as I know, it doesn't have any value for the local fauna. I'm a little conflicted, though, since the campion is very pretty and seems to do well in my garden.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I saw one in my garden last week and, then, yesterday at the park. I'm pretty excited, as these are the first monarchs I've ever seen in this area since I moved here 5 years ago.

My milkweed had some difficulty coming up this year but I planted some Echinacea purpurea and I saw the monarch in my garden vigorously feeding on it.

Helping the monarchs has become an obsession for me and I am going to throw down as much milkweed seed in my garden as possible for the upcoming spring.

In fact, I am thinking of pulling up the Rose Campion that is in my garden, as it isn't native and, as far as I know, it doesn't have any value for the local fauna. I'm a little conflicted, though, since the campion is very pretty and seems to do well in my garden.

Any thoughts?
I don't have separate real estate for the many milkweed I have. It plays nice with everything I have planted, so I really don't see the need to pull something with such a small footprint as Rose campion. It's also a great attractant to many of the smaller type butterflys. Plus if you pay close attention in the early morning hours you might be surprised how many clearwing (hummingbird moths) it attracts.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM

4,033 posts, read 7,715,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I don't have separate real estate for the many milkweed I have. It plays nice with everything I have planted, so I really don't see the need to pull something with such a small footprint as Rose campion. It's also a great attractant to many of the smaller type butterflys. Plus if you pay close attention in the early morning hours you might be surprised how many clearwing (hummingbird moths) it attracts.
I have read that it is a food source for some species of moths, so that is good to know. I just have so much of it in my garden and it is reseeding aggressively. And I don't like that it isn't native, as I wonder if it is preventing natives from coming up.

But I guess a better solution is to leave it and create a new bed for wildflowers by digging up some lawn grass.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,213,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Saw my first one on the 5th of July, which is very early for my area also. I usually see them around the second week of August. From my understanding those would be second generation monarchs. And yesterday this is what I saw. A first generation!
Is that Giant Milkweed LI? I just got some from rooted cuttings. My Monarchs won't lay eggs on it (yet)
but I must admit to quite an assortment of milkweeds.

Anyone want seeds to asclepias perrennis? Fresh seed guys. I believe a central Florida native,. but I love to spread the love. A really nice plant, my Monarchs have already devastated the first crop, lol.

*You have to pay shipping guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden