U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:45 AM

751 posts, read 253,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
.... He said he hadn't seen the various types in one place since he was a child... .
The last time we had an emergence of 17-yr cicadas around here, I noticed that there seemed to be an unusual abundance of butterflies of all types-- maybe the ubiquitous cicadas diverted the feeding attentions of birds away from caterpillars?

Long Island may be experiencing some "stragglers" (early or late emergers) from Brood VII or X. Could that account for your increased butterfly population, in addition to your kind attention to providing habitat? Did you notice many cicadas? [Maybe they were there but got eaten? ]

17 & 13 Year Cicadas, "Locusts", Cicada Broods & Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 AM

1,505 posts, read 615,069 times
Cicada's were minimal this year, almost to the point that there weren't any.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 PM

1,127 posts, read 311,588 times
I read about the milkweed-monarch connection back in March and so this year I planted a bunch of milkweed in my garden. I did get a good number of monarchs, though I think it was mostly 2-3 individuals who kept coming back to my yard.

One thing I noticed was, the monarchs definitely preferred these pink milkweeds I planted (forget what the name of the variety was, they get pretty tall). The other milkweeds didn't get nearly as much attention. Anybody else notice a preference like that?

Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I read about the milkweed-monarch connection back in March and so this year I planted a bunch of milkweed in my garden. I did get a good number of monarchs, though I think it was mostly 2-3 individuals who kept coming back to my yard.

One thing I noticed was, the monarchs definitely preferred these pink milkweeds I planted (forget what the name of the variety was, they get pretty tall). The other milkweeds didn't get nearly as much attention. Anybody else notice a preference like that?
Very happy to hear you are doing your part JB 007!

Asclepias incarnata aka Swamp milkweed is what that plant probably is, and yes it really draws them in. What you need to watch is which type of milkweed they prefer to lay their eggs on. In many cases they will choose a younger growth milkweed for its tender leaves. Or if they do lay eggs on an older plant, many times the cat will climb down to find a preferable plant. Also, once the monarchs have found your yard, and like what they smell, a signal will be sent thru pheromones in the air, which will bring in more the following year. Don't forget to plant nectar plants for them also. They need a good food source, which will bring the males in first.

Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

1,127 posts, read 311,588 times
Thanks LIcenter. In addition to the milkweed I planted a whole bunch of other flowers (mostly wildflower type flowers) plus I've got a rose garden started so by next year there should be plenty for them to eat.

Old Today, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Thanks LIcenter. In addition to the milkweed I planted a whole bunch of other flowers (mostly wildflower type flowers) plus I've got a rose garden started so by next year there should be plenty for them to eat.
Sounds like you are on your way! Myself, and Mother Nature's critters wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden