Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times

Advertisements

Here is another site that a fellow gardener passed along to me today. Impressive collection of plants to say the least.

https://www.butterflygardenstogo.com...gory/milkweed/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,146,929 times
I got a pack of seeds when this was first posted. There was about 1000' x 20' feet on the edge a community park (natural area that's not landscaped) near me that the utility clear cut over the winter. I scatted a few hundred seeds up and down the strip (along with some raspberry root cuttings). I saw about 5 monarchs around my house this weekend.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
My seedlings are about 2" tall now, I started them in Jiffy peat pellets, but they don't seem to be very vigorous.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Last May 31st we found a monarch caterpillar in the middle of our asphalt driveway, it looked like it had been dropped by a bird. We put it in a clean 4# plastic peanut butter jar with a small branch of willow. It made a chrysalis in just a few days. We kept it indoors over the summer, fall and winter, a few months we put it in our hothouse. On April 1st it emerged from its cocoon. We let it go so that it could do what it does, make more Monarch butterflies.
Attached Thumbnails
We have to help the Monarch Butterflies-img_1691-1-.jpg   We have to help the Monarch Butterflies-img_0562.jpg   We have to help the Monarch Butterflies-img_0564.jpg  

Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Last May 31st we found a monarch caterpillar in the middle of our asphalt driveway, it looked like it had been dropped by a bird. We put it in a clean 4# plastic peanut butter jar with a small branch of willow. It made a chrysalis in just a few days. We kept it indoors over the summer, fall and winter, a few months we put it in our hothouse. On April 1st it emerged from its cocoon. We let it go so that it could do what it does, make more Monarch butterflies.
Just a heads up. The last pic is a Tiger Swallowtail. Here's a pic of a Monarch chrysalis.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:57 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Don't buy any Roundup or anything from Monsanto. No weed killers. Hope for warmer weather in Mexico over winter.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Just a heads up. The last pic is a Tiger Swallowtail. Here's a pic of a Monarch chrysalis.
The butterfly came out of that chrysalis and the caterpillar created it. Are you trying to say the crysalis and caterpillar are not related? I know that they are, saw the butterfly come out of it.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The butterfly came out of that chrysalis and the caterpillar created it. Are you trying to say the crysalis and caterpillar are not related? I know that they are, saw the butterfly come out of it.
Honestly I don't know what to think. All three pics are not related to a monarch butterfly. Maybe there was one nearby that hatched without you seeing it. Lookup a monarch cat, and you will see they are not even close to looking like your first pic.

Here are some pics of the monarch cat stages.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mona...HWXhAyUQ7AkIOA

Here is a link to the life cycle, ffom egg to butterfly. Please note the cycle takes just over a month for the full cycle to complete. Another thing that struck me is a monarch cat does not attach itself to a branch like that. They are always completely hanging with one attachment point.

http://www.monarchwatch.org/biology/cycle1.htm

Last edited by LIcenter; 04-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Honestly I don't know what to think. All three pics are not related to a monarch butterfly. Maybe there was one nearby that hatched without you seeing it. Lookup a monarch cat, and you will see they are not even close to looking like your first pic.

Here are some pics of the monarch cat stages.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mona...HWXhAyUQ7AkIOA

Here is a link to the life cycle, ffom egg to butterfly. Please note the cycle takes just over a month for the full cycle to complete. Another thing that struck me is a monarch cat does not attach itself to a branch like that. They are always completely hanging with one attachment point.

Monarch Watch : Biology : Life Cycle
My apologies, I had butterflies on my brain.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,312,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I live in NYC. What plants should I put here? I would love to help!
I'm on Staten Island too. I ordered mine from Amazon and just typed in Butterfly garden seeds. I ordered these

Amazon.com : Earthcare Seeds Butterfly Garden Flower Seeds 1000 Seeds : Flowering Plants : Patio, Lawn & Garden

and they grew like weeds and I don't have a green thumb at all. I even saw some butterflies, mostly Monarchs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden