Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:36 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times

Advertisements

I had a Snowy Owl in the front yard. Wild Turkey in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Well here in Kommiefornia we occasionally get the ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44lMdhPqHkc

Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

The one sighting that really caught my eye was a great blue heron in my GA yard. We aren't near the coast, and not that close to wetlands either.
Cool! Great blue herons are very adaptable. Their year-round range is most of the continental U.S. They'll nest in office park water features and golf courses.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
I used to have this tiny yellow bird that hung around my yard most of the time. It looked like a parakeet, and I always wondered if it was someone's pet that had gotten loose.

It would follow me around the yard, jumping on the branch nearest to me and chirping at me, like it was trying to get my attention.

Bulldogdad, omg, I would die. I have a goal to see one in the wild, but I'm also terrified at the prospect. I have encountered bears and coyotes in the wild, but I'm very scared of running into a big cat.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,146,929 times
In the past year I've seen these inside the Charlotte, NC beltway:

- Fox
- Coyote
- 10 point buck and dozens upon dozens of smaller bucks and does (we have a serious problem)
- Barred owl
- Several types of hawks
- Bald eagle (rumored to nest at Quail Hollow - home of the 2017 PGA Championship)
- Flying squirrel (probably the most surprising on the list)
- Raccoon
- Possum
- Turkey
- Box Turtle
- Yellow bellied slider turtle
- Several types of tree frogs

Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
........The one sighting that really caught my eye was a great blue heron ........
I had a heron for awhile. The thieving booger stood in my stock pond and ate all of the goldfish I had in there to eat mosquitoes. I couldn't restock the goldfish because he kept coming back to check and see if there were any more fish.

I get a lot of bald eagles, so they aren't an unusual sighting. So far, they haven't bothered my poultry or pets, although they will sometimes circle overhead studying us.

A great Horned Owl lives in a tree just off the property line. I normally don't see him, but the crows were harassing him one day and my son went down there with a gun and shot at the crows and drove them off. The owl came up to the house and sat on my roof for a day, giving me a close study, even following me. Then he went back to his tree and I know he is still there, because I can hear him, but I haven't seen him since.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Llamas. Neighbor was raising them. They are BIG.
Peacock. Restaurant down the street kept them. Sent one of their chefs, still in his chef hat and white jacket, to retrieve the peacock.

We see lots of wild turkeys and hawks. A flock of guinea hens used to (noisily) come into my yard and peck at the ground under the bird feeders. Lots of great blue herons fly overhead, but never land, as I don't have any water source for them in my yard.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had a heron for awhile. The thieving booger stood in my stock pond and ate all of the goldfish I had in there to eat mosquitoes. I couldn't restock the goldfish because he kept coming back to check and see if there were any more fish.
I have a backyard bird feeder, too. But I use seed.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:45 PM

249 posts, read 188,660 times
When we lived in Northern California we saw owls in our neighborhood. Nothing too unusual, but----
One particular night I heard a loud hooting noise coming from a big tree in our yard. The owl appeared to be lost or disoriented because it was rustling around in the branches, then it flew to another tree, hooted, then flew to other trees in my area. It finally perched on a light pole and stayed there all night but hooted all the while.
I'm guessing this was the mother because a few days later I saw what appeared to be baby owls in some bushes near our house. Pretty weird for the adult owl to fly from tree to tree all night and settle on a pole----possibly to keep watch over her babies.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times
Probably teaching the young ones how to survive, is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden