U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 AM

5,607 posts, read 6,467,187 times

Advertisements

There's still snow on the ground here, but I never know if I should mulch ASAP to stop weeds or wait a little bit until the herbaceous perennials are solidly above ground or what. Another problem is if I should seed things like marigolds over or under mulch, or just wait for the annuals to get going before mulching, or maybe just start them indoors (that's so much work for something as easy as marigolds though!). Just wondering what everyone else's mulching patterns are.

Heck, I've skipped the past two years for most of my beds, so I figure as long as I mulch at all this year I'm doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 AM

2,189 posts, read 979,271 times
I mulch all my perennial beds in early spring (actually right after the ground freezes is best) every other year, and will put down no less than a three inch layer when I do. Most if any annuals I plant from seed go in the boarder of these beds. What I normally do is keep the mulch raked back in the areas the seeds will be planted. As they start to grow I slowly pull the mulch into those areas a little at a time until the mulch is the same level as the rest of the bed. I'll normally do this by hand, so I can pull any weeds that may have popped up where the uncovered area was. I'll still get some weeds during the growing season,but not near as much if it was not mulched.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM

16,116 posts, read 7,055,347 times
Interesting. I live in the cool, rainy PNW. I mulch for winter, to protect the soil from being pounded to death by rain. Along about April, I keep an eye on things and will start removing mulch, to let the soil warm up and, hopefully, dry out a bit! I get too many slugs to mulch during the summer.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Interesting. I live in the cool, rainy PNW. I mulch for winter, to protect the soil from being pounded to death by rain. Along about April, I keep an eye on things and will start removing mulch, to let the soil warm up and, hopefully, dry out a bit! I get too many slugs to mulch during the summer.
We here in my area (Long Island) have zero problems with 'too wet' soil. We actually have to add mulch to help keep the soil from drying out too quickly. We have very good drainage, and an a average of moderate weather from spring to fall.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,333 posts, read 50,406,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
We don't get slugs on the areas we mulch, they stick to the Hostas pretty much. The deer and rabbits also munch them, but we have plenty to go around. We don't mulch until spring because in winter it gets all covered with needles from the 80-100' tall fir trees in the yard, and small branches from the windstorms. About April I'll do a major cleanup, spread moss killer and lime on the lawns, and apply new mulch around the trees and shrubs.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:23 PM

16,116 posts, read 7,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We don't get slugs on the areas we mulch, they stick to the Hostas pretty much.
Lucky you! I live in a small opening in the forest, and I've never seen such a massive slug population. Banana slugs are cool, but the garden slugs are murder. If my neighbors and I could take the noise, I'd keep ducks.

I didn't get slugs either when I lived in the Willamette Valley, but I also had a very healthy population of ground beetles which kept the slugs in check. Dunno why I don't have them here, but so far, I don't.

Quote:
The deer and rabbits also munch them, but we have plenty to go around. We don't mulch until spring because in winter it gets all covered with needles from the 80-100' tall fir trees in the yard, and small branches from the windstorms. About April I'll do a major cleanup, spread moss killer and lime on the lawns, and apply new mulch around the trees and shrubs.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM

2,022 posts, read 4,981,506 times
I do it when the stores put mulch on mega sale. They were $2 a bag each Spring and July 4.

As for weeds, I find they grow out of the mulch a month or 2 later. Wonder if those cheap mulch from HD or Lowes is inferior to the name brand ones that cost 3-4x.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,333 posts, read 50,406,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I do it when the stores put mulch on mega sale. They were $2 a bag each Spring and July 4.

As for weeds, I find they grow out of the mulch a month or 2 later. Wonder if those cheap mulch from HD or Lowes is inferior to the name brand ones that cost 3-4x.
I buy it by the yard (9 cubic feet) and have it delivered and dumped in the driveway, usually 5-10 yards.
If you need to cover a lot of area 3" deep that's a lot of bags, with a 1 or 2 cubic foot bag. It can be cheaper though, if you can get it on sale for $3 or less for 2 cubic foot bags.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I buy it by the yard (9 cubic feet) and have it delivered and dumped in the driveway, usually 5-10 yards.
If you need to cover a lot of area 3" deep that's a lot of bags, with a 1 or 2 cubic foot bag. It can be cheaper though, if you can get it on sale for $3 or less for 2 cubic foot bags.
I order mine in bulk also, but I also have them mix in 1 yard of compost to three yards of mulch, which totals out to 8 yards of product delivered. Again I do this every other year in established beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden