Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 05:50 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times

Advertisements

I have had centipede in the past, but it will not grow where I live at now. I am not a big fan of Bermuda, but this is what my new house has. Half of my yard is Bermuda and I need to put down sod on the other half. I am thinking of going with Zoysia and overseeing the other half. Will this work? Also is Zoysia harder to get to grow and maintain than Bermuda? My lot is mostly sunny everywhere except for mostly shade on one side where the Bermuda is struggling.

Last edited by reubenray; 09-30-2021 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 07:20 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have had centipede in the past, but it will not grow where I live at now. I am not a big fan of Bermuda, but this is what my new house has. Half of my yard is Bermuda and I need to put down sod on the other half. I am thinking of going with Zoysia and overseeing the other half. Will this work? Also is Zoysia harder to get to grow and maintain than Bermuda? My lot is mostly sunny everywhere except for mostly shade on one side where the Bermuda is struggling.
My Dad had Zoysia. It looks great, but is very slow to spread.

I have TifTuf Bermuda (from SuperSod). It spreads nice and needs little water.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
My Dad had Zoysia. It looks great, but is very slow to spread.

I have TifTuf Bermuda (from SuperSod). It spreads nice and needs little water.
I would have no problem with bermuda, but it is not growing on my North/shady side of my house. I don't know what type it is.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:49 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Bermuda is not a shade grass. Tall fescue and St. Augustine grass are the most shade-tolerant grasses recommended for Arkansas. Soil pH is a measure of the soil acidity.

Choosing a Grass for Arkansas Lawns: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-2112.pdf

Old 10-01-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Bermuda is not a shade grass. Tall fescue and St. Augustine grass are the most shade-tolerant grasses recommended for Arkansas. Soil pH is a measure of the soil acidity.

Choosing a Grass for Arkansas Lawns: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-2112.pdf
Thanks for this info. I am located in the far NW corner of Arkansas about a mile from Missouri, so I would need a cool-season grass. One reason I don't want fescue is the mowing height. Our Yorkie is very small and she struggles walking in it. One sod farm has Meyer Zoysia which is one of the top brands of Zoysia.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:09 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Thanks for this info. I am located in the far NW corner of Arkansas about a mile from Missouri, so I would need a cool-season grass. One reason I don't want fescue is the mowing height. Our Yorkie is very small and she struggles walking in it. One sod farm has Meyer Zoysia which is one of the top brands of Zoysia.
Zoysia, like Bermuda and Centipede is a warm season grass, and needs lots of sun. For shady areas, Fescue is the best choice, though it seems you are always reseeding in the fall.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:53 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,780 times
Bermuda needs about six hours of sun a day to thrive. Zoysia needs around four hours daily. Lesser amounts of sun dictate fescue, ranging from tall turf fescues to creeping red fescue for deep shade. Kentucky 31 is another lawn fescue in common usage, but is much coarser in appearance and less upright than the tall turf varieties. The shade fescues are very tender and don’t tolerate foot traffic well. All fescues require overseeding in the fall to maintain dense growth. I’m not familiar with Bluegrass, but it might be a candidate for your problem area as well.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:44 AM

About 95% of my yard gets full sun most of the day. The North side only gets the afternoon sun for a few (2 to 4) hours a day. One corner on the NE side gets very little sun. I plan on putting some type of bushes there that will live in the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden