U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM

26,069 posts, read 10,737,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I did drive a reefer truck, tomatoes happened to be red when loading in California. It takes at most 3 days to get to the east coast.
Two questions: What were they going to be used for? As I already stated, tomatoes are picked red for canning and processing, and did you get them straight from the field, or was it after they had been treated with ethylene glycol?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 02-17-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,395,236 times
It is hard to drive a semi in the field. They are picked and in a whs packed and shipped, going to the many markets along the east coast. So, to the store basicly.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
It is hard to drive a semi in the field. They are picked and in a whs packed and shipped, going to the many markets along the east coast. So, to the store basicly.
Then my guess is that they were ripened in the warehouse, that is typically what happens. I'm not blaming farmers, they are doing what they need to do to meet a 365 day a year demand by consumers for tomatoes.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:28 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,818,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why do you say that and do you realize many people have never even tasted foreign produce. How about giving us an example?
True! I've never left North America. Although I did recently purchase red peppers at Wegmans and they were from Jerusalem. Normally, they're from Canada which is humorous since peppers need heat to grow. The variety from Jerusalem was definitely different than the normal Canadian ones. They were VERY tasty and sweet. THey definitely had a different flavor. I just chalked it up to them being a different variety.

And I don't buy much produce at the grocery store. Almost all of it comes from local farms. They're all Mennonite and Amish. They aren't growing for grocery stores except the few that grow for their grocery store. Yes, it's amazing being able to buy a head of fresh romaine locally grown in January while living in the Northeast! I do know how fortunate I am. When I lived in SC, I thought the produce was DREADFUL.

I don't care about perfectly round produce. I'm willing to pay for taste. I'm not looking for cheap crap, but I'm in the minority. There's a reason places like The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods do so well.....they don't sell those piece of crap things Wal-Mart calls red peppers! I'd give up eating red peppers for the rest of my life if the only ones I could buy were the Wal-Mart ones. Those poor things look like they've been on a truck for 10 months before put on the shelves.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:36 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,818,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I don't know of anyplace here where you can productively grow fresh produce year round, so if you feel the need to have a tomato, or the like off season, there are gonna be sacrifices. The only other option would be to hop in your private jet, and fly to the nearest in season farmstand.
Sure you can! And you don't even need to leave the US! There's a lake in the Adirondacks (way up in New York State) where on a good year they have 30 frost free days....seriously 30 out of 365! There's a gentleman who has a greenhouse and he grows tomatoes year round there. No one believed he could do it, but he does it and he's rather popular in the winter with locals.

My grandfather grew up on a farm in Malone, NY which is right on the Canadian border. Fed themselves all year long. There was no grocery store.

People survived for centuries without things like greenhouses and grocery stores. No, they weren't eating strawberries in February like we do today.

There are even systems you can buy for your house now where you can grow hydroponic produce in your house! Buy some grow lights and you, too, can grow your own lettuce year round.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM

35,121 posts, read 36,991,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
Why doesn't American produce taste as good as Europe's? : TreeHugger

Very sad!! As the most powerful nation in the world, can't we eat good tasting food!! Unfortunately, appearance, size and profit margin are the top priorities here, taste and health comes last!
If you are so enamored with produce in Europe you should move there so you are not disappointed here in the USA every time you eat produce.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you are so enamored with produce in Europe you should move there so you are not disappointed here in the USA every time you eat produce.
Really? People can't have a discussion about the quality of produce in the US without you telling them to move to Europe? wow, just wow

Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,288,670 times
Quote:

Very sad!! As the most powerful nation in the world, can't we eat good tasting food!! Unfortunately, appearance, size and profit margin are the top priorities here, taste and health comes last!

Why is it that the color blue in Europe is so much more.... blue? BTW, Europe imports a LOT of its produce from other countries, including from the US. So, you're complaining about the US in comparison to the EU, when the EU is pretty much doing what we do: Going for cheap labor versus domestic production. Welcome to the wonderful world of "interconnectedness" and "open markets". What the globalists are selling is not "global citizenship" and a world without borders. They're selling cheap labor forces pitted against each other for profit. And we get a lot of our produce from other countries too.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,288,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really? People can't have a discussion about the quality of produce in the US without you telling them to move to Europe? wow, just wow

The EU is the No. 2 export market for the USA overall, and No. 5 for agricultural exports. That's per the government website on trade.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:09 PM

29,457 posts, read 46,851,445 times
Quote:

We noticed that when we lived in Napoli. There was a much wider selection of fruits and vegetables. Blemished produce was also common.

In the USA any tiny blemish and the produce gets tossed out. I am a pig-breeder. As I am typing this, I am taking a break form sorting pig-feed. I get 'waste-food' from grocery stores and our school district cafeterias. Americans toss out at least 1/4 of all produce simply for having a blemish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden