U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 05:48 PM

576 posts, read 462,992 times

Advertisements

This is my first Spring with a Lawn to maintain and I am planning on using the LESCO Crabgrass Preventer. My question for the board is whether or not I need/should use another type of fertilizer around April on my Bermuda Grass?? I used Milorganite last year and plan on using it again this year. It looks like the LESCO product is also a fertilizer so I'm not sure if I should use the Milorganite on top of it. Please advice...

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,130,470 times
Use the Lesco Dimension Product without fertilizer....Lesco 0-0-7 Crabgrass Preventer.

Do you want an organic or synthetic approach? Feeding the soil vs. feeding the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
This is my first Spring with a Lawn to maintain and I am planning on using the LESCO Crabgrass Preventer. My question for the board is whether or not I need/should use another type of fertilizer around April on my Bermuda Grass?? I used Milorganite last year and plan on using it again this year. It looks like the LESCO product is also a fertilizer so I'm not sure if I should use the Milorganite on top of it. Please advice...

Thank you!!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 PM

576 posts, read 462,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Use the Lesco Dimension Product without fertilizer....Lesco 0-0-7 Crabgrass Preventer.

Do you want an organic or synthetic approach? Feeding the soil vs. feeding the plant.
Thank you!! I want to continue using Milorganite, which is Organic.

I will be sure to use the product you suggested.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
What is this some kind of weird John Deere Landscape commercial?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 AM

Yes Milorganite works great on shrubs and plants too... Greens the leaves up nicely.

Quote:

Thanks again!!

Old 02-27-2016, 12:05 PM

Depending on your area, you may need to apply that twice in the spring.

Quote:

Thanks again!!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 706,323 times
I've read great things about the Lesco crabgrass preventer and will likely put it down this weekend just cause of how randomly warm its been here in Jersey the past few days.. I bought my house last year and the lawn was just LOADED with crabgrass. Here's the link to what I had to do to get rid of the crabgrass and actually get a nice lawn:
Help getting rid of Crabgrass

I really don't wanna go through all that BS again.

Lesco also seems pretty cheap, like $50 for a bag that covers 13,000sq/ft, 2 bags will cover almost an acre. My front yard should be good from all the work I put in last year, but I didn't get around to the back yard. I'm hoping the Lesco and some over seeding in early fall will give me a nice, green, crabgrass free, back yard next year without all the labor involved.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:32 PM

Sounds like you and I are thinking on the same page. .

I'm a little south of where you are and it's supposed to be much cooler starting tomorrow for rest the week but then warm again late next week. Remember you want to go by ground temperature not air temperature as I am holding off on putting down my crabgrass preventer until later this month unless we get a really warm straight for over a weeks period of time.

Years and years ago I used Scott's Turf Builder plus Halts. Way too much fertilizer for the spring time and Halts is not nearly half as good as Dimension which is found in the Lesco products.

I am assuming your buying your Lesco products at Home Depot? You might want to go to your local site one store which used to be John Deere and used to be Lesco before that. Their prices are cheaper and generally you can sign up even as a homeowner for their contractor rates.

Sounds like your old one should come alive quite nicely this year. One thing I've never understood is the simplest lawn care program it is just putting down a crabgrass preventer for without that you have complete havoc.

I have used the 18-0-18 and love the product. For crabgrass preventer plus fertilizer have you looked at their 15-0-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I've read great things about the Lesco crabgrass preventer and will likely put it down this weekend just cause of how randomly warm its been here in Jersey the past few days.. I bought my house last year and the lawn was just LOADED with crabgrass. Here's the link to what I had to do to get rid of the crabgrass and actually get a nice lawn:
Help getting rid of Crabgrass

I really don't wanna go through all that BS again.

Lesco also seems pretty cheap, like $50 for a bag that covers 13,000sq/ft, 2 bags will cover almost an acre. My front yard should be good from all the work I put in last year, but I didn't get around to the back yard. I'm hoping the Lesco and some over seeding in early fall will give me a nice, green, crabgrass free, back yard next year without all the labor involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden