U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 05:01 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,038,040 times

Advertisements

BostonMike7, what kind of seed did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm about a week post germination. Some pretty decent coverage in most of the yard. I've got 15,000 SF of lawn area, so it was a bit tough to get good total uniform germination. Seedlings in part of the lawn are already 2" tall and growing pretty thick, in other parts of the yard (where it sees full sun all day) I'm just now getting 1" sprouts from mostly the aeration holes only. These were areas of bare dirt/weeds, so it looks like I should get 50% coverage by the end of the fall. Ill add some more seed to this area over the winter, and in the spring to try and get it to fill in more next spring.

I have more seed, so I might go back and redo a few areas I want to get going. When I can focus on 500-1000 SF, I can give it a bit more attention than when I was trying to get 15K SF aerated, seeded and raked. .

If anything, it will take me a few years to really get the lawn to come in good. I'll see what I can get to grow this fall, and then focus on weed control next spring/summer. Considering what I started with, which was no lawn, I like my results so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 07:37 AM

269 posts, read 341,016 times
I've tried to hand pull but decided that the crab grass is too young to worry about and will die in a few weeks anyway. There's not that much risk of any going into seeds. Going to let nature do the work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can you pull by hand?

I've resorted to hand pulling as much as I can without going crazy. 5 mins here and there is starting to add up. Once I clear an area, I've been manually adding seed to it.

You're not going to get it all, but the more weeds you replace with good grass just means less opportunity for weeds to take over in that spot later on.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 AM

8,446 posts, read 8,466,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
BostonMike7, what kind of seed did you go with?

Pennington Sun and Shade.

I went with this seed because I bought a small bag of it in the spring to do a couple small areas of the lawn...and that particular grass had the best survival through the summer's drought even with not being as mature as the surrounding grass. So I went with what was working for me.

Over the weekend, I bought another small bag and added some additional seed to one area of the front lawn I would really like to get lush by next year. So I added the seed and really raked it in well and will focus on watering this one area. This entire week is forecasted to be rain, so I'm hoping it takes very well.

Out in the general yard, I am seeing more and more seedlings sprouting up in the thin areas. I've cut back on my watering and the ground is pretty much moist every AM due to the heavy morning dew.

Temps are falling into the low 40's at night, and up near 70 in the day. Crossing my fingers for another good month of growth before it goes dormant.

First sprouts that came up 2-3 weeks ago are about 3" long now. That area of the lawn is really filling in well. I actually need to do a careful mowing in some areas.

Overall I'm happy. Need to do weed control in the spring, and maybe 1 more good reseeding next fall and the lawn should be pretty darn good then.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 PM

It really all depends on what stage the crabgrass is at....sometimes it's far more effective just to spray it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I've tried to hand pull but decided that the crab grass is too young to worry about and will die in a few weeks anyway. There's not that much risk of any going into seeds. Going to let nature do the work for me

Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,446,409 times
Thought I would circle back with some photo results. So, as a recap - I used drive XLR8 and Tenacity to kill off all the crabgrass (Drive XLR8) and used the Tenacity to address the other weeds. Happy to report - weeds are dead and gone, including all of the crabgrass. Didn't realize how much crabgrass there was, until it started to turn brown/black and die off. I put that stuff down on 9/20.

On 9/25 (Sunday), which was exactly 9 days ago, I put down the seed, alfalfa meal, soybean meal, and Heritage G to address any fungus and disease that I picked up from a brutal August. On 9/27 (Tuesday), it started to rain, and did not stop until roughly 48 hours ago (Sunday afternoon). No sunlight until this past Sunday afternoon, and has been sunny ever since.

I took these photos this morning. That area next to the street where it looks like black dirt on the ground (did add a bag of dirt there because it needed it), was 110% dead 9 days ago. I had a massive pile of tree limbs there in August that sat too long before they got picked up, and killed off all the grass in that spot.

If you look closely, you'll also see the new grass coming up within the existing as well.

This is the third time I've used this Soybean Meal and Alfalfa Meal combo on my lawns. I used it this past spring at this house to bring the yard back in general, which worked great. I used in my old house to bring back the builder-grade sod that was probably 60% dead. And now 9 days ago to enhance the existing and repair the damaged from the summer heat.

9 days, of which 6 were basically raining and zero sunlight.

If we stay sunny for the rest of this week, I suspect the lawn will be better than it's ever been in the past decade. There is still a bunch of seed on the lawn that hasn't popped yet, and there is still a bunch down in the aeration holes that haven't come up to the surface yet either.

I'm a happy camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_6522.jpg   Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_6523.jpg   Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_6529.jpg   Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_6531.jpg  

Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 AM

Pretty much been raining a week here. I'd suspect most, if not all the seed I spread around has long since germinated at this point, and growing well. I'm mowing weekly, and it's nice to see areas that were bare dirt this summer filling in and turning green.

Still a lot of weeds though, but that's the next challenge. Right now I'm happy to increase the density of tuft grass in the lawn

Old 10-04-2016, 11:35 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,446,409 times
I'll be honest with you Boston, considering how quickly my weed problem was turned around, I'll never mess with the big-box stuff again. Well worth the investment for a decent backpack sprayer that lets you move up into the profession turf management stuff. There is a whole world of pro-stuff that you can get that'll fix it at the first shot. And when you consider it's all concentrated, meaning you have to dilute with water, it's actually cheaper than the big-box stuff. I sprayed our yard probably 3 times with the hose-attachment stuff from Home Depot. I got nowhere. I sprayed once with Drive XLR8, and completely eradicated the entire lawn of all crab grass in about 5 days. Also took out the clover, dandelions, and other obvious weeds that I have no clue what their names are. I only had to sprayed my yard once with it.

I also added something called Tenacity to the spray, which is supposed to be great for the grass weeds (instead of broadleaf). I can see it working too, as those results turn the weeds white. So I have these certain blades of what I thought were grass going stark white and then fading off. Turns out, they were weeds too. I had no idea.

Might want to check that world out if your weed problem is really bad. I have an actual turf area of around 10,000 square feet. I have enough Drive and Tenacity leftover now to apply at least two if not three more times. Best part about both of those chemicals - they're safe to use on new seedlings (in fact, Tenacity is recommended with new seedlings).

I probably spent $300 on the Home Depot stuff before giving up. I even pulled enough weeds out of my lawn to completely fill up my main trash can the city picks up. Was just overwhelmed and couldn't get ahead of it. But the pro stuff, stopped it all and fixed 90% of it. I do have a couple of other weeds that are more hardy that needs some of the 2d4 stuff. But have to wait until the new seeds are all in and established before using it.

It's all just soooo much easier to manage with a backpack sprayer. Sure, you look like a Ghostbuster nerd with it on. But who cares, if the results not only amaze you, but have your neighbors asking you what your secret is!

We have a few weekly landscape crews that come through for the neighbors. They're not very happy with me right now. Seeing me out there doing my own work, and mine is starting to look much better than theirs. My neighbor probably spends $3,000 a year on lawn service. He's getting a little irritated at the moment. Ha! He's going to really be irritated WHEN I get to the "golf ball" test and pass it. That's when, after you mow the lawn, you can take a golf ball and set it on the grass and the grass itself will hold it up, instead of it resting on the ground underneath. Now, that's the kind of density that will keep out the weeds naturally!

Last edited by NC211; 10-04-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 01:07 PM

I'll have to look into that next year.

This time last year, I had no lawn. My yard was VERY dense tree cover, with the soil being leaf-litter that was never picked up, acorns and small oaks growing, and moss. Virtually no grass at all. We bought the house, took down the trees (they were overhanging the house and had some disease), and the sun dried out the soil. I did a spring seeding, which did take pretty good, but the major difference was from this fall reseeding. I used an excessive amount of seed and it's really taking off at the moment. The lawn is looking pretty darn good right now with the increase in rain.

But i'll look into taking my weed management beyond what the BB stores offer next year.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:35 PM

269 posts, read 341,016 times
I'm also done with the crappy Bayer sprays from the big box stores as well. Once I've used up all of my remaining Ortho Weed-B-Gone then I'll be using DriveXL8 for next year's crab grass, which I expect to be minimal after two years of overseeding.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Agree, but pre-emergent in the spring is the real key.

Hope your lines are looking very good this time of the year. Getting ready to fertilize mine again this weekend really hitting the nitrogen in the fall as opposed to any other time of the year on cool-season Turf type fescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I'm also done with the crappy Bayer sprays from the big box stores as well. Once I've used up all of my remaining Ortho Weed-B-Gone then I'll be using DriveXL8 for next year's crab grass, which I expect to be minimal after two years of overseeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or