U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 07:33 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
2,144 posts, read 860,854 times

Advertisements

Make sure you sweep any fertilizer, that you get on your driveway or sidewalk, off. We will from now on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 07:41 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,633,572 times
Always a good idea, especially if applying an iron based product and it gets on concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Make sure you sweep any fertilizer, that you get on your driveway or sidewalk, off. We will from now on...

Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,099,301 times
I know we're not supposed to advertise here, but I really do have to share a product that I've tried this year that has just been over the friggin' top amazing for our lawn and landscape in general.

It's this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Growt...quantum+growth

I hosed down our lawn about 8 weeks ago with it, followed by my alfalfa/soybean stuff, and a ton of new fescue seed about 3 weeks later. We had the lawn aerated last fall and I also threw down a ton of the same fescue seed.

The alfalfa/soybean stuff, I've already talked about. I've used it several time, always with great results. But never like this year so far.

Our lawn went lime green. I thought I had done something wrong. But then I noticed the shrubs going the same color. I realized what it was - NEW GROWTH at an alarming rate! Once we hit a warm spell with lots of sunshine, everything just took off for us. I have schip laurels that are now completely covered with new growth. Even our small little boxwoods are now exploding with new branches sticking several inches up out of the old growth. We had two holly trees planted last year, the deer ate the snot out of them over the winter....thought I was going to have to replace them. Nope. Lime friggin' green and filling back in quickly, and they're in the shade!

I was standing on my lawn the other day while talking to a neighbor who was stunned at what was going on in our yard. The freshly cut grass under our feet, felt like we were standing on a dense sponge. Couldn't even feel the ground under our feet. Just springy, dense grass. I been saying I'm going after the golf ball test this year. Screw it - I've got parts of our lawn now where the grass will hold up a baseball on the surface of the grass, which is being mowed at 4 inches.

My backyard, which got hit by fungus last year and nearly a complete loss, I thought I would get some back this year. I've not only gotten some of it back, it's better than last year before I got hit by the fungus, by 10x's! Lush, dense, and just going like crazy (it's also where my laurels are).

I really can't say enough about this stuff. I've had to hand over the mowing to one of the neighbor's landscapers now because I just can't keep up with it. I'm filling up a dozen BIG leaf collection bags with grass clippings every weekend, and the mower itself (which is a Toro AWD with a 7 1/2 HP engine) is really struggling to tackle it. So, I've had to pay up for the big boys to do it instead.

Honestly, I don't know if it's just my lawn, or a combination of this stuff with the alfalfa/soybean, or what. But NEVER in my life have I ever had a lawn like this before. Never. And the only thing I've done differently this year than in the years past, is try this microbial inoculant stuff. That's the only difference.

Give it a shot and see what happens for you. I'm willing to bet in about 4-6 weeks, you'll be as stunned as I and all of my neighbors have been for the past couple of weeks.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Advertising nothing..that is the whole purpose here to learn from one another especially when it comes to lawn care what works best and products to avoid.

Right now here are some of my tried and true products:

Rose bushes and flowering periennials - https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advance...+3+in+1+Flower

Tree and shrub bug spray - https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Advance...+3+in+1+Flower

And of course for weed spray - https://www.amazon.com/PBI-Gordon-Sp...don+speed+zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I know we're not supposed to advertise here, but I really do have to share a product that I've tried this year that has just been over the friggin' top amazing for our lawn and landscape in general.

It's this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Growt...quantum+growth

I hosed down our lawn about 8 weeks ago with it, followed by my alfalfa/soybean stuff, and a ton of new fescue seed about 3 weeks later. We had the lawn aerated last fall and I also threw down a ton of the same fescue seed.

The alfalfa/soybean stuff, I've already talked about. I've used it several time, always with great results. But never like this year so far.

Our lawn went lime green. I thought I had done something wrong. But then I noticed the shrubs going the same color. I realized what it was - NEW GROWTH at an alarming rate! Once we hit a warm spell with lots of sunshine, everything just took off for us. I have schip laurels that are now completely covered with new growth. Even our small little boxwoods are now exploding with new branches sticking several inches up out of the old growth. We had two holly trees planted last year, the deer ate the snot out of them over the winter....thought I was going to have to replace them. Nope. Lime friggin' green and filling back in quickly, and they're in the shade!

I was standing on my lawn the other day while talking to a neighbor who was stunned at what was going on in our yard. The freshly cut grass under our feet, felt like we were standing on a dense sponge. Couldn't even feel the ground under our feet. Just springy, dense grass. I been saying I'm going after the golf ball test this year. Screw it - I've got parts of our lawn now where the grass will hold up a baseball on the surface of the grass, which is being mowed at 4 inches.

My backyard, which got hit by fungus last year and nearly a complete loss, I thought I would get some back this year. I've not only gotten some of it back, it's better than last year before I got hit by the fungus, by 10x's! Lush, dense, and just going like crazy (it's also where my laurels are).

I really can't say enough about this stuff. I've had to hand over the mowing to one of the neighbor's landscapers now because I just can't keep up with it. I'm filling up a dozen BIG leaf collection bags with grass clippings every weekend, and the mower itself (which is a Toro AWD with a 7 1/2 HP engine) is really struggling to tackle it. So, I've had to pay up for the big boys to do it instead.

Honestly, I don't know if it's just my lawn, or a combination of this stuff with the alfalfa/soybean, or what. But NEVER in my life have I ever had a lawn like this before. Never. And the only thing I've done differently this year than in the years past, is try this microbial inoculant stuff. That's the only difference.

Give it a shot and see what happens for you. I'm willing to bet in about 4-6 weeks, you'll be as stunned as I and all of my neighbors have been for the past couple of weeks.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Here are some pictures from this evening. Light green is new growth over the past couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_7735.jpg   Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_7736.jpg   Ultimate Lawn Program For The Best Lawn On The Block-img_7733.jpg  

Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Movin2Reston - question on the Pro Patch (Honor Guard) - have you ever used it on shrubs and trees before? I've ordered some for the stockpile, and reading the label, I see that it can address a whole slew of issues related to trees and shrubs (namely conifer blight). Curious if you've used it before outside of just the grass/lawn itself.

Other than seeds and fertilizer, I'd much rather use liquids now instead of granular. Normally I'd use Caravan G to address bugs, fungus, disease. But thinking Honor Guard and TalStar might be more effective and much easier (and cheaper) instead.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM

7,180 posts, read 6,618,157 times
So at what height is idea for cutting?

Right now, I have mostly fescues, and cutting right at around 3". Issue is the seedheads. This height is right above the seedhead, so even after a cut, the lawn looks brown/yellow becaue of a portion of the seedhead right at the top.

I'm trying to raise my cut before the summer dormancy period and heat, but I wonder if I should go back down to 2.5-2.75" for a few more weeks, and then do some higher cuts at end of june.

Just trying to figure out a good strategy as this will be the first spring I actually have a nice lawn.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:18 AM

7,180 posts, read 6,618,157 times
Problem sorted itself out. Left mower where it was, and the seadheads grew higher. Next cut took care of it.

We've had a rainy season, my lawn is looking VERY thick and green and pretty dense...really helping choke out some of my weed issue, which I hope to address this summer/fall and close out

Old 05-25-2017, 10:26 AM

Keep your eye out for fungus now though. We've had a lot of rain here lately too, and fungus is starting to show up in shaded areas in my lawn. I bought the Honor Guard stuff that Reston put up earlier and giving it a shot. I'm about to spray the entire yard this weekend as a preventive measure. Neighbor got hit about 10 days ago, and not happy. Gave them a premixed spray bottle of this Honor Guard stuff to use as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 AM

Sorry, but not familiar with Pro Patch.

But might pick up a bottle for an application now and then in several weeks through June and July:

https://www.amazon.com/Propiconazole...4fb458de3f3324

Reviews in Amazon make it sound great for lawns and shrubs.

My tried and true product for bugs/fungus: Bayer Advanced 3 in 1

Bayer Advanced 32 oz. Concentrate 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control-701285 - The Home Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Movin2Reston - question on the Pro Patch (Honor Guard) - have you ever used it on shrubs and trees before? I've ordered some for the stockpile, and reading the label, I see that it can address a whole slew of issues related to trees and shrubs (namely conifer blight). Curious if you've used it before outside of just the grass/lawn itself.

Other than seeds and fertilizer, I'd much rather use liquids now instead of granular. Normally I'd use Caravan G to address bugs, fungus, disease. But thinking Honor Guard and TalStar might be more effective and much easier (and cheaper) instead.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 05-27-2017 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden