U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,738,678 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you have you have your work cut out for you.

Cool Season grass expert here, but review some of the previous postings on herbicides that will apply.

Selective grass killing, like bluegrass cut not turf type fescue? Nothing like that in this area...

Hand pulling weeds can be so hit or miss, again search this thread on suggestions.

For seed application, for small areas, by hand or small spreader work best.

Hope you have a good weekend in the lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I have centipede, with a lot of other stuff mixed in, specifically Bermuda grass I have invading some areas of my yard.

My first question is, does anyone know of a product that will selectively kill the Bermuda, and other weedy grasses, like crab, but not touch the centipede? I found something that sounded perfect, but the company no longer makes this product. It was called Vantage from Southern Ag. I wish I could find this product, or at least something that would do the same thing. Just my luck!

I have weeds too. Lots of ground lespedeza and wood sorrel, and the nutsedge are popping up all over now. I have sprayed some of the areas, but I have a lot of plants and have to be very careful with how I spray. Some areas close to plants I experimented with using a sponge brush to brush on the herbicide. I still have a lot to do in my front yard, which is large (I'm on 3/4 acre) and have had a thought about using a thick paint roller. Has anyone ever tried doing this to apply herbicides??? Thankfully, I have a pole to attach to so I don't have to bend and can just roll it across the grass. It's worth a try, I think? I have an old paint tray I'm going to cover with a garbage bag and pour the herbicide in that and go from there.

I can happily say, my yard is basically dandelion and cat tongue weed free. It has taken me 3 summers to do this, all hand and tool pulling. Unfortunately, my neighbors have a ton of these weeds that they allow to go to seed and I do get some seeds blown my way. Any that may grow, as soon as I see one growing I pull it up. The smaller, the easier. It's nice that I don't have to cut my grass as often as they do...actually, it's not the grass that needs cutting, it's the weeds they have.

This year, my focus in my front yard became the wild geranium. I started late, but I think I got a lot of it gone. I will know more next year. I've tried to pull up a lot of the wood sorrel, especially the ones I see flowers and seed pods on, but there is so much. I'm hoping I can get this taken care of by next year.

There are so many different weeds, and different weeds in the different sides of my yard. The backyard was plagued with deadnettle and henbit, both I pulled it out. Will see how well I did next year. I'm sure for every weed I rid my yard with, another will come. Big yard, big array of weeds. If it were just weeds, and I didn't have over 1000 plants I've put in, I'd just spray it down. But, since that's not an option, I'm hoping the efforts I do try are successful, sooner than later. One thing I can say, I've learned the names of a lot of weeds and will continue to learn more, I'm sure.

My last question...I bought some centipede seed. I have some patches of yard that has no, or very little grass. I want to reseed these areas. Most are small, a few are larger patches. I'd like to know if anyone has put seed in shaker, like a spice shaker, to shake seed on to small areas of lawn? I thought maybe this could make it easier than just throwing out seed???

Thanks for any input!

The past 2 summers I've also tackled the chickweed. I still have some, but nowhere near as what I had 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM

65,017 posts, read 72,809,257 times
We have the solution to the best lawn on the block: live, like we do with only 2 houses on the block and the other one having such a mess we should call the city.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Oh wish is was that easy.

Actually it is quite rewarding to see the progress you can make with just a little care and what is does to your curb appeal? YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have the solution to the best lawn on the block: live, like we do with only 2 houses on the block and the other one having such a mess we should call the city.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,168,765 times
Ok, whew, I think I avoid a total disaster with the lawn. I certainly did some damage a few weeks ago, but the damage appears to be contained in just one area, everything else appears to be ok and coming back like before. i'll have to wait a few more weeks for the soil to recover and the chemicals to wear off, then reseed the areas and do it again. All in all, probably an area of 6 large pizzas in a .38 acre lawn. I can recover from this. The rest is ok, stressed here and there, but otherwise ok. Will say there isn't a weed, flea, tick, fire ant anywhere!

Lesson learned here - if you have a backpack sprayer and applying herbicides and/or pesticides - DO NOT use the wrong spray tip and wave the damn thing around like a wand. My mistake was that I had 4 gallons loaded up before realizing the spray tip was the brass one that sprays in a large oval pattern. I could not find the fan tip that sprays in a wide single line pattern. So, threw caution to the wind, and while I didn't lose completely, I certainly got humbled. Use the fan tip, hold it to your side, and walk straight, one end of the yard to the next, then come back in the next strip to be treated. Don't waive the thing in front of you side to side as you're walking forward. These backpack sprayers make it sooooo easy, that you think "no way that little bit is going to do anything at all". You have to fight that urge, and trust that it will do exactly as you want it too.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Glad to hear. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Lawn is growing well, needs its weekly cutting on Friday. Getting an inch of water once per week and drying out in between. Got the grub control down so coasting through the next two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Ok, whew, I think I avoid a total disaster with the lawn. I certainly did some damage a few weeks ago, but the damage appears to be contained in just one area, everything else appears to be ok and coming back like before. i'll have to wait a few more weeks for the soil to recover and the chemicals to wear off, then reseed the areas and do it again. All in all, probably an area of 6 large pizzas in a .38 acre lawn. I can recover from this. The rest is ok, stressed here and there, but otherwise ok. Will say there isn't a weed, flea, tick, fire ant anywhere!

Lesson learned here - if you have a backpack sprayer and applying herbicides and/or pesticides - DO NOT use the wrong spray tip and wave the damn thing around like a wand. My mistake was that I had 4 gallons loaded up before realizing the spray tip was the brass one that sprays in a large oval pattern. I could not find the fan tip that sprays in a wide single line pattern. So, threw caution to the wind, and while I didn't lose completely, I certainly got humbled. Use the fan tip, hold it to your side, and walk straight, one end of the yard to the next, then come back in the next strip to be treated. Don't waive the thing in front of you side to side as you're walking forward. These backpack sprayers make it sooooo easy, that you think "no way that little bit is going to do anything at all". You have to fight that urge, and trust that it will do exactly as you want it too.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Mowing Height

https://youtu.be/6ISw5ODvKNo

Old 07-03-2017, 04:54 AM

Summer Lawn Care:

https://youtu.be/K6WOH1jwUJM

Old 07-07-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Secret To Having The Greenest Lawn On The Block

Secret To Having The Greenest Lawn On The Block

https://youtu.be/wDdw7nfAPS8

Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 PM

4" cutting height on the grass has been very effective for summertime.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Peak of summer, but you wouldn't know it by the plush green lawn.

Crabgrass free due to 2 previous applications of dimensions, spot treating weeds as needed, and continuing with an inch of rain per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden