U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 PM

313 posts, read 172,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Looks like you have done your homework.

Instead of or in addition to, you can mix in some organic matter such as Leafgro.

Be sure to mist, not saturate the seed through germination.

Maybe use starter fertilizer when seeding and follow a couple of weeks later with the Milorganite.
Good points, I think the locally available organic matter/ compost is Black Cow so I will use that as well with starter fertilizer. Point well taken regarding watering the seed since I do tend to over water and saturate the seeded areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 11:17 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,739,661 times
Focus more on the organic matter than adding top soil.

Watering is the biggest issue with seed germinate. Basically don't let it stay saturated, but then don't let it stay try in the sun.

Really depends on how much sun you get on various parts of your lawn.

Again, mist don't spray. Dampen the seed, dont water deeping.

As the seed germinate, gradually back off on the frequency of watering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Good points, I think the locally available organic matter/ compost is Black Cow so I will use that as well with starter fertilizer. Point well taken regarding watering the seed since I do tend to over water and saturate the seeded areas. Thanks

Old 08-25-2017, 07:14 PM

https://youtu.be/-MHrLB20ISc?t=04m49s

Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Mowing, Thatching, Aerifying, and Rolling Turf

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/AY/AY-8-W.pdf

Old 09-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Cannot say enough about Lesco All Pro Transition Grass Seed

Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Amazing weather this time of the year.

The optimal time for overseeding is now, with still warm days and cool nights.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM

7,420 posts, read 7,023,597 times
Did my aerate, overseed and fertilize a couple weeks back. Weather has been perfect. Heavy dews, some soaking rains, and warm days. I can already see sprouts in the thin areas, and the Milorganite I used this time around has produced some beautiful dark green grass already. Have gotten a few compliments on it.

Downside is I am now back to 2x per week mowings.

Bigger downside is the local maple population is infected with tar spot disease, and are dropping leaves all over the place and blowing onto my lawn.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 80,545 times
I am a little late with the fall lawn care this year. This is also my first year taking over after I fired the lawn guys. (I am in zone 7a).

My dilemma is whether to focus on killing weeds right now or to focus on reseeding?

The front lawn is lumpy, a bit patchy, and the weeds really took over when the hot weeks had the grass going dormant. With the cooler weather the grass has bounced back but the weeds are nice and healthy too. I have clover(which I don't mind), big patches of ground ivy/creeping charlie, dandelions, plaintains, oxalis, thistle, etc.

I treated one section with Scotts fall lawn builder feed and weed a few days back, and I can see it has knocked the weeds back quite a bit. Especially the creeping charlie, which I was plucking by hand making no progress, and from what I have read is especially hard to kill so I am really happy to see that dying back now.

I am also working on some big holes/bare patches in the back yard, fixing the soil and seeding and they have all sprouted nicely, so I know this is a good time to get new grass growing.

My problem is as good as the feed and weed is at killing the weeds, the package says to wait about 4 weeks before putting down new seed in a treated area. I want to treat the rest of the front yard to make progress in the weed battle, but I am worried that 4 weeks from now would be too late to get seed to sprout and survive and I feel I need to do both this fall.

My thinking right now is to continue with the feed and weed (as soon as this storm passes on the east coast), get rid of as many weeds as possible, rake/pluck clean the lawn out, and then overseed in October and hope to get some fill in before winter.

Any advice?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 AM

7,420 posts, read 7,023,597 times
If you had to pick one, I'd focus on reseeding. I just think waiting 4 weeks is too long.

In the fall, I'd focus more on growing the good grass you want. A lot of weeds normally will begin to die back on their own this time of year as the weather cools, while the grass will continue to grow and fill in the areas they once occupied.

You want to try and establish a nice thick cover this fall, and then focus on weed control come spring. The grass will continue to fill in through the spring and take over the spots that the dying weeds leave behind.

Basically by mixing weed control in the spring, with overseeding in the fall, the idea is to establish grass so think weeds simply cannot compete and grow.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Congrats on the seed sprouts.

A little work now is a huge reward later.

These warmer than normal temps have really paid off.

Keep us posted on the first cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Did my aerate, overseed and fertilize a couple weeks back. Weather has been perfect. Heavy dews, some soaking rains, and warm days. I can already see sprouts in the thin areas, and the Milorganite I used this time around has produced some beautiful dark green grass already. Have gotten a few compliments on it.

Downside is I am now back to 2x per week mowings.

Bigger downside is the local maple population is infected with tar spot disease, and are dropping leaves all over the place and blowing onto my lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden