U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

7,454 posts, read 7,104,592 times

Advertisements

For seed, I've been using the Pennington Sun&Shade mix exclusively. I've gotten very good results and nice thick coverage out of it.

Anyway, my lawn care is coming to a close shortly. Fall is settling in and i'll soon be raking the leaves up more than lawn care. I'll still probably have to mow well into Dec, and usually do a final fertilize right around thanksgiving. Overall I am VERY happy with my lawn right now....one of the best on the street where 2 years ago it was pretty much 10% grass, 90% junk weeds, moss and bare patches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 03:08 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,765,035 times
Keep up the great work.

Sounds like what you're doing is working just perfect for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I use the Scott's 4-step program and I have one of the best lawns on the block. I don't use a landscaper, but reseed in the fall, and keep on top of bare spots during the season. Location: LI, NY.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Basically you need to do one or the other but not both at the same time.

Best time to focus on seeding is in the early fall.

Depending on your lawn size and preference, pulling weeds can at times provide little return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I am in LI also. I fired the landscaper this year to save money and I am doing it myself for the first time.

How do people balance weed killing with seeding/reseeding?

If you put down weed killer you can't seed, if you seed then no weed killer.

This past spring I put down preemergent, which means no seeding with grass until after that wears off, which doesn't leave much cool weather to get grass started.

This past summer I spent a lot of time hand pulling weeds, making some progress but in general losing the battle.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 AM

Excellent advice.

The thicker the grass the fewer the weeds, so focus on seeding in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Seed in the fall, as many weeds are dying off and you can use the opportunity to overseed in the voids they are leaving behind, then go after the weeds in the spring/summer to get the ones that find somewhere to germinate. At some point, your "good" grass should be thick enough that many weeds can't get a good foothold.

The yards where I live that seem to have the most issue with weeds tend to have very thin grass. The owners really only cut the grass, but never overseed to fill in the voids. I almost want to get a bag or two of seed just to overseed my two neighbors to the side of me to thicken in their grass and avoid weeds...which tend to creep into my lawn.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:56 AM

57,964 posts, read 40,486,755 times
Aside from lack of rain, this fall has been the best fall in recent memory for the lawn.. Warm nights and lots of days in the 60s/70s, no frosts!

Hoping it continues for the new seedlings sake..

Don't you love the smell of fresh cut grass with a cool NW wind? Pretty soon the leaves will come down and the fall lawn will not look "clean" anymore. lol. I typically mow in 1/4 of the leaves and pile up the rest for composting.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Halloween Lawn Domination

https://youtu.be/3tG1zo5LUCk

Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Again this year, dethatched, aerated, topped with Leafgro and then went with Lesco Transition Seed.

Really impressed again with this seed.

Congrats to your lawn...little work goes a long way.

Had several homeowners n the neighborhood stop by during the process and convey they have never seen a better lawn...itís all about domination

Referred them to my source....https://plus.google.com/+Thelawncarenut

https://youtu.be/Mtl0Hfq2koU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
For seed, I've been using the Pennington Sun&Shade mix exclusively. I've gotten very good results and nice thick coverage out of it.

Anyway, my lawn care is coming to a close shortly. Fall is settling in and i'll soon be raking the leaves up more than lawn care. I'll still probably have to mow well into Dec, and usually do a final fertilize right around thanksgiving. Overall I am VERY happy with my lawn right now....one of the best on the street where 2 years ago it was pretty much 10% grass, 90% junk weeds, moss and bare patches.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Home Depot and Scott's VS Millennials

Home Depot and Scott's VS Millennials

https://youtu.be/EuD7cy8TE0Q

Old 11-16-2017, 04:32 PM

Getting late into the fall now but don’t give up on the lawn. Keeps removing the leaves and be sure to cut if needed. Excellent time for getting another application of fertilizer in before the cold sets in.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 PM

1,480 posts, read 808,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Getting late into the fall now but donít give up on the lawn. Keeps removing the leaves and be sure to cut if needed. Excellent time for getting another application of fertilizer in before the cold sets in.
Can you fertilize even in 40 degree or less average temps? Our grass has basically gone dormant already, but the leaf removal time period hasn't quite finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden