Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 PM

7,452 posts, read 7,060,734 times

Advertisements

YES!!!

Top growth is slow or stopped, but roots are still gong rowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Can you fertilize even in 40 degree or less average temps? Our grass has basically gone dormant already, but the leaf removal time period hasn't quite finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Top growth is slow or stopped, but roots are still growing.

Something like Scott's Turf Builder Winterguard would work well. Now should be your heaviest application of the year, avoid spring and summer.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:13 AM

698 posts, read 564,721 times
In the Fall, if at all. But don't fertilize with anything so strong that will prompt the grass to grow when it ought to be dormant. And do not cut the grass short for the winter. Cool-season grasses do best when consistently mowed to a height of three inches.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM

That’s the great thing about fertilizing cool season lawns in late November as all the energy from the fertilizer goes to the roots instead of top growth....creating an early spring green up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
In the Fall, if at all. But don't fertilize with anything so strong that will prompt the grass to grow when it ought to be dormant. And do not cut the grass short for the winter. Cool-season grasses do best when consistently mowed to a height of three inches.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:45 AM

10,305 posts, read 10,556,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Fertilizer doesn't prompt grass to grow. I think if I remember correctly from high school biology, it is the amount of sunlight that prompts plants to grow.

Some experts recommend continuing to mow the lawn at the recommended height until it is no longer actively growing while others recommend making your last cut of the growing season 1 to 1½ inches shorter than usual. See https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden...olds-in-lawns/ and https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library...-its-snow-mold.

I usually compromise and and lower my mower .25" to .5". I do it primarily to help remove the leaves.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:43 AM

15,737 posts, read 20,293,560 times
I fertilized on Sat. Top growth is pretty much done but the grass is still nice and green. Still have my mower out to help with leaves. Once the leaves are gone...mower gets an oil change and gets put away.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:55 PM

I might lower it some, but this concept of cutting short going into winter is not a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Fertilizer doesn't prompt grass to grow. I think if I remember correctly from high school biology, it is the amount of sunlight that prompts plants to grow.

Some experts recommend continuing to mow the lawn at the recommended height until it is no longer actively growing while others recommend making your last cut of the growing season 1 to 1½ inches shorter than usual. See https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden...olds-in-lawns/ and https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library...-its-snow-mold.

I usually compromise and and lower my mower .25" to .5". I do it primarily to help remove the leaves.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:38 AM

15,737 posts, read 20,293,560 times
Officially done. Did my last "cut" and put the mower away. See you all next spring

Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 AM

Yes top growth is about done here as well though just did my final cutting to give it that clean look and managed to catch some grass.

Great time for a final application of fertilizer for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I fertilized on Sat. Top growth is pretty much done but the grass is still nice and green. Still have my mower out to help with leaves. Once the leaves are gone...mower gets an oil change and gets put away.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:46 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,980,598 times
We are still removing leaves here for the umpteenth time (going on two months now). The oak trees just won't shed after all the others are pretty much done. Now the oak trees are finally dumping, but only a small portion now and again. Then the winds blow them around enough (I live by a lake) that they cover the whole lawn fairly quickly and then stick.

Next year I'm buying a tractor type leaf vacuum. It's too much to handle anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden