U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 AM

64,988 posts, read 47,303,288 times

Advertisements

All Tomato seedlings are in cups now..

Did a few Peppers too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:38 AM

In case you're wondering what happens when I water them. There are 4 little slits on the bottom of each cup. (cleaned & reused each year).

I put a small mechanics towel at the bottom of the boxes. So the water drains through the slits and the towels soak up the excess water so the cardboard doesn't get wet and drip on my lights and floor

Old 04-24-2016, 04:14 AM

April 23, 2016

About 60 Tomatoes. All looking very healthy and strong. I have not fed them. The Potting soil in the transfer to the cups has enough food they need as a seedling.

By the time they deplete those nutrients it will be time to go into the Earth.

Close up.

Hot Peppers looking good too

More Hot Peppers

More Hot Peppers. Notice how much better looking the ones in the cups are. They were started 2 weeks later then these. I will put these in cups today.

Collards and Bell Peppers.

Cauliflower, Eggplant and Bell peppers. The Eggplant has been my challenge for years. Looks great now but for some reason hates the soil outside.

I will grab a couple outside pics today.

Weather has been amazingly dry and seasonably warm (60s,70s). Only 1/4" of rain in last 2 weeks.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
You've got the touch for sure cambium! Best of luck with the outside transfer. When do you figure your planting time will be? The nights are still a little cool here on the island of long.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
You've got the touch for sure cambium! Best of luck with the outside transfer. When do you figure your planting time will be? The nights are still a little cool here on the island of long.
Thanks! Yeah, while I think we may be done with the 30s and frost (but you never know still) plants do not like 40s either and shoot, they don't like it when the daytime is only 50s with clouds. So I have to remind myself patience pays off.

I'm hardening off the Cauliflower and Collards today. They'll go out next weekend. They are ok for cool weather.

I'll check the long range to figure if I'll start to harden off the Tomatoes and Peppers next week or weekend of May 8th.

If all goes well and looks like a warm pattern coming they'll plant out May 8th. Otherwise May 16th sounds good.

Being on Long Island you can do a few days or a week sooner unless you live in the sandy soil area where it gets cooler at night compared to rest of Long Island. (Pine Barrens)

Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 AM

For those wondering...

3 or 4 slits at the bottom of the cup is a must. They work well not only to drain excess water but small enough where the roots don't find a way out then you have to break them when transplanting.

Speaking of roots... Transferring my Hot Peppers into the cups. They could of stayed another week in the cell trays but I figure give them more room and a little food burst.

For those wondering where the water goes when it drains from the cups... You don't want soggy cardboard that will leak eventually. Simple towel or mechanics towels underneath is perfect to absorb..

and guess what else it does... Keep the cups and plants semi humid. Win Win?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:34 AM

205 posts, read 223,016 times
Gosh Cam, you make me realize what an amateur I really am. I'm amazed at how much detail and care you put into your garden every year. I hope to get to your level of expertise some day....keep the pictures coming!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 AM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Being on Long Island you can do a few days or a week sooner unless you live in the sandy soil area where it gets cooler at night compared to rest of Long Island. (Pine Barrens)
Yup smack dab in the middle of the Pine Barrens. It was 38 at 4:00 AM.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 877,120 times
This is my first thread of yours so I'll be curious to see how your year goes. I looked at the first and last pages of your 2015 thread and this year seems to be starting off completely different!

Meanwhile I'm on the opposite coast at nearly the same latitude, but our climates couldn't be any more different. While you deal with cold and snow in winter we deal with rain, and lots of it. Because there is so much rain here it took me longer to build the garden infrastructure and therefore we're getting a late start (started seeds in trays just yesterday), but our growing season extends deep into October and sometimes even into November before winter starts showing up.

I don't want to hijack your thread though so maybe I'll just start my own and we can compare at the end of the growing season.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
Gosh Cam, you make me realize what an amateur I really am. I'm amazed at how much detail and care you put into your garden every year. I hope to get to your level of expertise some day....keep the pictures coming!
lol, thanks so much. There will always be challenges and new things I'm learning. Like I just learned to put twigs in my compost pile which gives it the space for oxygen. I'm scared how my Eggplants will do this year. Different spot.. hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Yup smack dab in the middle of the Pine Barrens. It was 38 at 4:00 AM.
That place is nuts especially when there's High Pressure overhead just like last night. Meanwhile my low as 44 . Good link to keep. OBS sorted by lows of the day for NY State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
This is my first thread of yours so I'll be curious to see how your year goes. I looked at the first and last pages of your 2015 thread and this year seems to be starting off completely different!

Meanwhile I'm on the opposite coast at nearly the same latitude, but our climates couldn't be any more different. While you deal with cold and snow in winter we deal with rain, and lots of it.

I don't want to hijack your thread though so maybe I'll just start my own and we can compare at the end of the growing season.
Cool! I Will love to hear your thoughts throughout the year and what's going on there with you. Would love to compare!

In the end the weather has last word. Month of May is the absolute crucial month for us here. If its cloudy and rainy the season wont be as great. We need that good start at least since we only have really 3-4 good months of growing.

No heat waves is a good thing. For me and the garden. lol

That's interesting you said that about the first and last pics in 2015. Not that I forgot but was a good reminder of the late start last year. Thanks for checking them out! It was a brutal historic cold, snowy and snowpack winter (2nd half) and even March. But even in a late year we manage to get some good yields I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden