Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 AM

83,358 posts, read 74,791,214 times

Advertisements

March 9, 2016

It's time to unwrap it. My FAVORITE fruit ever! Could eat an entire tree's worth. Fig.

My little trees I'm growing

At least we got a head start this year with outdoor stuff. Unlike last year waiting to April

Started tilling the other bed but so so so so frustrating when I stuck the shovel into the dirt. WTF with the rocks every year!

Feels like they multiply. Just that 5 foot strip there took me an hour to dig deep and take out the rocks.

Ugh. Disgusting. I say it every year that I just want to dig it all out and bring in nice organic soil. Replace this crap.

There, that's better! But still Clay crap and when it rains and then drys, it will compact and look like cement. Cucumbers will be going here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,559,324 times
Will be planting most remaining seeds this weekend, as temps are back to normal as the risk of frost has gone. Pics to follow.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:39 PM

12,196 posts, read 7,165,805 times
Cambium, I like your homemade string trellis. I will be stealing your idea this year.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Will be planting most remaining seeds this weekend, as temps are back to normal as the risk of frost has gone. Pics to follow.
Wow. No way for here even though we're getting torched with summer temps this week. We can and will drop to freezing. Id hate for things to sprout then get damaged by an April freeze.

The climate here can be interesting, loving, yet frustrating too. #NotStable

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Cambium, I like your homemade string trellis. I will be stealing your idea this year.
Pretty easy to do. I used 2 rebars, drove it in the ground on both ends, put 1/2" emt over them, couple elbows at the top, a cross piece, then just string it. Long lasting, wind proof, and convenient.

You can use green twine if you want to blend it in.

If you use strong enough twine it will even hold up squash and mini pumpkins

Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Another May day here in March. 5th day in a row above 60° with twice being in the 70s which is June weather. Normal is 40s!

nice to get a head start on outside stuff but ......

It's not like this is the first year I'm doing this. I swear they are multiplying. WTF.

3 shovel fulls and I got all these rocks and pebbles. Ugh.

So I'm digging half the bed deep and doing it right.......... but wait .........

You see that tan area in the pit? That is literally like cement. A Solid base and its only 10 inches deep. I cant stick a shovel into it.

I'm not getting a machine. I will sift out the rocks and either live with shallow soil or raise the entire bed. Oh well.

Disgusting clay soil around here and to think this property used to be farm with cows grazing on it is nuts. (it was). The developer building the neighborhood just threw crap into the ground as fill.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:11 PM

32,821 posts, read 36,098,573 times
you know that rocks breed during the winter. at least in pa they did. i pulled rocks out of those beds for years. i had to screen a section so that i could grow carrots.

the place in the south had a lot of clay, and one in mid-atlantic had patches. both had nasty clay, rocky back fill. i used to dig out clay lumps with the garden fork and throw them in the field or woods behind the house.

is that clay under the entire garden area?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,404,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
March 9, 2016

It's time to unwrap it. My FAVORITE fruit ever! Could eat an entire tree's worth. Fig.

My little trees I'm growing

At least we got a head start this year with outdoor stuff. Unlike last year waiting to April

Started tilling the other bed but so so so so frustrating when I stuck the shovel into the dirt. WTF with the rocks every year!

Feels like they multiply. Just that 5 foot strip there took me an hour to dig deep and take out the rocks.

Ugh. Disgusting. I say it every year that I just want to dig it all out and bring in nice organic soil. Replace this crap.

There, that's better! But still Clay crap and when it rains and then drys, it will compact and look like cement. Cucumbers will be going here.

Cambium, do you keep that fig tree trimmed to that size or is it going to get bigger? Can I put one in a raised bed or would it be better to keep in a container? I have to rent a garden spot and they are all raised beds.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Cambium, do you keep that fig tree trimmed to that size or is it going to get bigger? Can I put one in a raised bed or would it be better to keep in a container? I have to rent a garden spot and they are all raised beds.
Fig Trees want to be in the ground. I cut it back because I don't want it to get tall. It will go higher than 10 feet which is pointless to pull figs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
you know that rocks breed during the winter. at least in pa they did. i pulled rocks out of those beds for years. i had to screen a section so that i could grow carrots.

the place in the south had a lot of clay, and one in mid-atlantic had patches. both had nasty clay, rocky back fill. i used to dig out clay lumps with the garden fork and throw them in the field or woods behind the house.

is that clay under the entire garden area?

Yup. For years I been adding Garden Soil, Organic Compost, and Top Soil but seems like it doesn't end. I think someone is throwing rocks in there when I'm not looking.

That soil there you can stick your hand in and go all the way down to your wrist without hitting a rock. Roots are going to love that!

Weed Be GONE! Cardboard along the walking path has worked for me past 2 years. No weeds to pull and Biodegrades by winter. Win Win.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:59 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,078,235 times
There is a town not far from me called Rocky Point, and a smaller version in my backyard as well. I feel your pain Cambium.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
There is a town not far from me called Rocky Point, and a smaller version in my backyard as well. I feel your pain Cambium.
A lot of the rocks we have and see in our area and region are left over from the Ice Age. Pretty cool to think about but sucks to farm with. lol

3/19/16

Compare the Garlic to my 3/6 picture above you can see they are growing nicely. I will be planting cucumbers near them again. It deters beetles and seemed to work last year which was impressive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden