Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,689,332 times

Advertisements

It's looking great, Cam! I love those huge trees where you're planting your squash and pumpkin. My neighbor has decent success with cucumbers and squash in an area of her garden that only gets about 3 hours of sun. They aren't as prolific as they could be, but it's a good space and she gets enough to make her happy.

Looking forward to see it all planted out in a few weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 PM

32,813 posts, read 36,084,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Haha! I needed more letters in "HotPeppers". Lol. All pots will have hot peppers, I think there are 30 of them? I havent counted yet.

4 rows of onions, sorry I got lazy and just drew lines instead of typing it.
I thought that it would be more onions, but maybe you weren't sure. I usually have a last minute desire to plant something weird--something which will probably fail.

What in heck do you do with all of the hot peppers? Obviously, you eat them, but do you pickle, freeze...?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:44 AM

83,352 posts, read 74,765,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What in heck do you do with all of the hot peppers? Obviously, you eat them, but do you pickle, freeze...?
Freeze some but give most away. I have a lot of people that love them. They make sauces, salsa, eat, or freeze them. Honestly, some are so hot I have no idea how they eat it. I think staying the pot keeps the heat in the pepper.

I want to make pepper flakes one day. Need a dehydrator

Old 05-01-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
It's looking great, Cam! I love those huge trees where you're planting your squash and pumpkin. My neighbor has decent success with cucumbers and squash in an area of her garden that only gets about 3 hours of sun. They aren't as prolific as they could be, but it's a good space and she gets enough to make her happy.

Looking forward to see it all planted out in a few weeks!

Thanks. Well that's good news. Although with the way it easily gets cloudy here I would have to be lucky to get those particular 3hrs from 12-3. So it's likely could only get 12hrs of sun a week . lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I can understand the reservation with not topping peppers, but I highly recommend it...

By accident when transferring the peppers into the cups I broke one off one of them. Decided to keep it and wait to see what happens.

It took a week but I see new growth coming in. Bad picture but I'm sure you can find it.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 AM

May 2, 2016.

Glad I had patience. I didn't even start hardening off yet. Coldest since 2008 here lately and we got more clouds, rain, and below normal temps coming. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be transplanting them outside.

Few pics.. Leaves Very green and all are very healthy. Camera might not show true color.

Peppers

peppers Close up

Tomatoes

Tomato closeup

Really close up. Fuzzy roots Plant them deep!

Eggplants and Bell Peppers on the right

I'm at max height on the lights now so I cant wait too much longer to transplant them all. Middle left side has more room. Eggplants not that tall yet

A couple of leaves getting Bulb scold? lol. Not worried since it's just a couple of them. New growth and soon to be outside will keep them going.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 AM

still starting seeds indoors in May?? That says it all.

This time last year we were hitting 80s and I was almost done hardening everything off. Not this year.

Technically could of put the cucumber seeds in the ground outside but why not get a 2 week jump start? They hate 40s and 50s. This way in 2 weeks it will be warm enough for them at least during the day and soil is warmer. They grow fast anyway but feels like such a short growing season.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,526,530 times
Sorry you still haven't gotten them outside yet Cambium. No cold frames to speak of?
Plants look nice and healthy, ready to go.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,733,123 times
Wow. I just perused your garden thread from last year. You have an amazing garden! How do you have time for all that? Are you retired?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Sorry you still haven't gotten them outside yet Cambium. No cold frames to speak of?
Plants look nice and healthy, ready to go.
Nope. No greenhouse, no cold frames. Can't get myself to spend the time or money doing it. Always felt like would be more work to control the temp inside there. We either get very hot, or very cold in Spring so I would have to keep checking the temp or lifting the window to give them air or something. I'm still considering it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. I just perused your garden thread from last year. You have an amazing garden! How do you have time for all that? Are you retired?

Thank You! I always appreciate comments like this. I'm just an amateur compared to most on this forum but I'm having fun sharing my experience..

Old 05-06-2016, 04:59 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,077,694 times
Looks as if the weather pattern will finally be changing in our favor tomorrow. Time to get some real dirt under your fingernails cambium! Heck I haven't even finished picking up last years leaves yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden