U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:38 PM

503 posts, read 214,417 times

Advertisements

Hi All:
I just ordered a Troy Bilt Mustang 42 XP zero turn lawn mower from their website since I got a good deal. I read some online reviews and they are all over the place, some very favorable and some horror stories. I am a first time home buyer and will be mowing the 1 acre lawn (mostly flat) by myself. I was wondering if anyone who has used Troy Bilt lawn mowers could kindly share their experiences. Should i cancel the order or let it be well be based on your replies.Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:32 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
I'd cancel the order and get something that only requires one hand to steer so that you can keep your beer from being jostled about

Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,138,966 times
I'm currently looking for a new ZTR. My current ZTR, a snapper 44" has served us for 12 years and the hydraulic just went out the end of the 2015 season. We have 2 acres of grass that requires mowing at least ounce a week and some times twice a week.

I'm currently looking at a Troy Built 50" ztr and have not found a reason not to buy it.

I have owned several Troy Built mowers and yard power equipment and have not found any fault with any of them.

I hope this helps.

BTW I will never go back to a lawn tractor. The ZTR mowers are the best by far.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 PM

Thanks Garthur for your time and reply. I have decided to not cancel the order and buy a Squaretrade warranty on the side, since I am a newbie and in case I do mess it up SQ will cover it.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:45 PM

8,985 posts, read 7,076,226 times
Keep in mind there are very few small engine manufacturers and even fewer hydrostatic transaxle manufacturers. No matter what unit you buy, you will get one of those engines or drive systems. The only real differences are in the metal thickness and color of paint.
In fact, many of the popular brands are now under the MTD umbrella! I have heard Troy-Built is one of them, as is Cub Cadet.
If you are going to buy an extended warranty (service contract), be sure to read it VERY carefully so you will know what the exclusions are!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM

13,482 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Troy-Bilt
Bolens
Huskee
Yard Machines
White Outdoor
Cub Cadet

^ All made by MTD and share parts, just pick the color you like the most. Toro isn't owned by MTD, but I do believe they get their decks from them.

Husqvarna, Craftsman, and Poulan are made by AYP.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:11 PM

Thank you all for your time and help. I have been using the Troy Bilt for a couple of months now and am pretty happy with it. Just one con that I really do not like on this one is even a slight hint of reverse and the blades/PTO disengages, so its really tough to make a Y turn or ZTR completely without creating a divot.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:52 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
I had similar discussion at DIY Forum. I had adamant response to stay away from anything that is Troy Built. MOF, I have a TB push mower and it's terrible. Has no gut, is very hard to start, chocks easily. So I see point to this.
I even passed on Cub Cadets as they simply do not appear to be done well.
No matter what the deal.
I looked at Husqvarnas as they appear to be very well built but ended buying Hustler Predator 52 inch. Though it works well, I should have paid $500 more and bought a 60 incher.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Speaking of which. My 42 inch riding Craftsman, 18Hp engine, being 11 yo is one hell of stubborn mower. It's too small for my current property but I kept it, and I use it for jobs I hate to break my Hustler on. yet, it stubbornly chugs through anything. I mowed grass that was taller than top of the engine cover by few inches with it, and slowly but steadily went through.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times
Our church has 2 Troy Bilt lawn mowers, a self propelled mower and a riding tractor type. Both are absolute crap. Both required severe repairs in the first year and it's the same story this year. Both of ours have Briggs engines and both engines are also crap. The smaller mower has a plastic intake manifold, (if you can imagine something that stupid) that breaks about every 20 hours requiring replacement. The carb is not bolted to the engine but to a plate and uses a rubber O-ring to keep it running. It doesn't work. The self propel one it has been a joke. The rider has had nothing but issues with the drive belts wearing on one side like the entire system is out of alignment. The hood fell off of it in the first year. No wreck, no abuse, just couldn't handle the vibration. The front axle spindles are another joke. Both are so worn because it's a metal against metal, no lube joint, and no wheel bearings. It came with a plastic sleeve that's suppose to make it work without wearing. That didn't last the first 4 hours of use. The fix is to trash the entire mowing fleet. We cut established lawn with our units, level and not heavy at all. I bought a used Honda HR214 21" at the end of last year and it has replaced the one year old Troy Crap. The Honda fires on the first pull and never balks. It's a 30 year old mower and far better than the Troy Crap anyday. I'm currently looking for another used rider to replace the Troy Crap. Now you know why you got such a "good" deal. You bought cheap crap at a cheap price. I'd buy used before buying new Troy Bilt anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or