U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:32 PM

4,871 posts, read 3,809,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why not just buy a big pot and have the plant in it for years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For the best results, a plant should not be repotted into a container more than 1" larger diameter. Putting one small plant in a really big pot requires a lot more water, to ensure that all of the soil is moist, and it will retain moisture longer which can lead to root rot. Most plants like the soil to be moist, not wet.
Some plants, such as Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera) prefer to be rootbound, we have one 60 years old, in the same pot since at least 1974 when we got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
This is amazing! I was gifted one of these 12 years ago and it's in the original pot. It blooms beautifully every Christmas. It has grown quite a bit top side, and I was wondering about repotting soon...I will leave well enough alone.

Do you ever prune any of the top off?
Quote:
I would appreciate it if you don't hijack my thread.
Wow...calm down, Quaker. Feel better? (I put my reply in nice calming blue.) YOU asked a question about plants and pots. Several responded accordingly. My post correlated perfectly, also discussing plants, pots, and repotting. It's called "contributing to the discussion." The discussion involves plants and repotting. I also have a "plant room" in my house, full of a variety of plants, and I also have multiple outside gardens in the summer, so I do know a thing or 2 about gardening, but we can always learn something more.

So depending on what plant you have, you may never want to repot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,741 posts, read 51,609,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's also the factor of being able to renew the soil and add slow release nutrients when you re-pot. Potting soil does get "old", for lack of a better word.
Those that like being root bound and don't like transplanting do fine with 3-4 doses of MiracleGro or similar liquid fertilizer over the growing season. I have several bonsai in the 75-100 year old range, one 150 years old, that I haven't repotted in 10 or so years. I do repot the younger ones every 2 years or so, but it's for root pruning, and they are not in soil, but in Turface (calcined clay).

Old 03-05-2016, 06:52 PM

32,551 posts, read 39,959,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those that like being root bound and don't like transplanting do fine with 3-4 doses of MiracleGro or similar liquid fertilizer over the growing season. I have several bonsai in the 75-100 year old range, one 150 years old, that I haven't repotted in 10 or so years. I do repot the younger ones every 2 years or so, but it's for root pruning, and they are not in soil, but in Turface (calcined clay).

You're right, but I think the question was more generalized. Bonsai is a specialty. We'll likely be accused of hijacking the thread now.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 PM

23,288 posts, read 22,299,326 times
Quote:
I would appreciate it if you don't hijack my thread.
seriously?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 AM

723 posts, read 975,510 times
How do you hijack a thread?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:11 AM

4,871 posts, read 3,809,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Apparently a response to any other poster within the thread is a hijack. OK, root balls up and let's fly this thread to Cuba! Do as I say and no plants will get pruned.

I just watered my house plants this morning, and I have a hibiscus that I've over wintered inside. It has 2 bright blossoms open this morning, with more buds swelling! I've also noticed the whole top of the pot seems to be a mass of tiny thread-like roots. (I added that just to stay on plant topic!)

Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM

66,211 posts, read 48,399,896 times
Quote:
When a thread is about a specific topic but someone asks a question or has a conversation on something else unrelated.

It's considered off topic when there's multiple back and forth about the new conversation as opposed to the thread topic..

Quote:
Why not just buy a big pot and have the plant in it for years?
As Hemlock140 said, you can't use too big of a pot because there's too much space. The small plant wont be drinking as well as it should. When you water the large pot, the roots aren't strong or long enough so stress occurs. I guess you can make the argument that you can just water more often but who wants to do that? Plus bottom moisture = slow feeding as opposed to gulping with a watercan

Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,289,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Not being a smarty pants here as I asked the same thing of my grandmother about 50 years ago as a little girl and never forgot her answer. She had numerous beautiful houseplants throughout her home, I would say between 75 -100 plants, and it seemed to me like she was forever repotting one or another of them. People would consult with her about how to grow different plants. I asked your question and she answered, "that would be like buying you a pair of shoes too big because you would eventually grow into them".

Pots too big carry too much water, the roots rot, and plants don't thrive.
Sure do miss witty grandmas and grandpas!

Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 AM

15,325 posts, read 24,093,096 times
to answer the first question, and I get that...

I think when you get little plants, from what I have noticed, they seem to like roots crammed, when the roots come out the drainage holes, then it is time to re pot to a larger pot. Also when doing that, you have to be careful to not really disturb anything as they go into shock.

I have a few cactus' that i had planted together and clearley they were growing, so I did the "bigger" pot thingm and now they are really growing.....only thing, i like the size pots they are in, and they fir on my window ledges, I cant get anything bigger.....

maybe if i told them, "dont grow anymore that would help"?? LOL

Old Today, 05:03 PM

35,293 posts, read 43,514,238 times
Quote:
Hijacking would be if the poster wrote, “Repotting is nice, but I like to go to the movies and my favorite movies are spy movies”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or