U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,040,427 times

Advertisements

Actually tried something like that before but always have better luck with using the crabgrass preventer such as Lesco's Dimension 15-0-0. Rest of the areas in the article are just as important including air rating your lawn at least once a year. In addition top dressing has an amazing perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 06:18 PM

549 posts, read 806,601 times
I was just looking at crab grass preventer this weekend. But I am afraid it will kill my chickens. They are free range chickens. I might have to pen them up for awhile.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:07 AM

The key to timing crabgrass control is the soil temperature. Here in VA yesterday the soil temp was only 43'.

According to the Lesco rep, even 2 days at 75' the ground temperature doesn't jump that quick.

To find the soil temp in your area, just go to the following and put in your zip code. GDD Tracker 4.0 - Turf Pest Management Tracking and Alerts with Growing Degree Day Models for Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio - Project initiated by Michigan State University

Cannot beat Lesco $33 a bag which covers 12,000 sq ft. Don't go ti Home Depot unless you have to as it is more expensive than buying it directly at Lesco.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:17 PM

1,026 posts, read 663,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
The key to timing crabgrass control is the soil temperature. Here in VA yesterday the soil temp was only 43'.

According to the Lesco rep, even 2 days at 75' the ground temperature doesn't jump that quick.

To find the soil temp in your area, just go to the following and put in your zip code. GDD Tracker 4.0 - Turf Pest Management Tracking and Alerts with Growing Degree Day Models for Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio - Project initiated by Michigan State University

Cannot beat Lesco $33 a bag which covers 12,000 sq ft. Don't go ti Home Depot unless you have to as it is more expensive than buying it directly at Lesco.

Tomorrow and Thursday highs look to be just shy of 80. Every high for the next 5 days are mid 60s. The lowest night time low is 41 all other lows are mid 40s-50s with the highest low at 57. Looks like we also have a good bit of rain coming. Obviously you don't want to put down too early, but you def don't want to put down too late. Soil temps hit 51 in my area today, tonights low is only 47. I'm thinking with tomorrow and Thursday being almost 80 we could see soil temps hit 60, followed by rain.. that's likely to wake up the crabgrass in my opinion.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 PM

I think ground temperature in VA by this late weekend may be approaching the start of crabgrass germination. Followed by weekend expected rainfall....get your Dimension down by this weekend prior to the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Tomorrow and Thursday highs look to be just shy of 80. Every high for the next 5 days are mid 60s. The lowest night time low is 41 all other lows are mid 40s-50s with the highest low at 57. Looks like we also have a good bit of rain coming. Obviously you don't want to put down too early, but you def don't want to put down too late. Soil temps hit 51 in my area today, tonights low is only 47. I'm thinking with tomorrow and Thursday being almost 80 we could see soil temps hit 60, followed by rain.. that's likely to wake up the crabgrass in my opinion.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:19 PM

1,228 posts, read 788,677 times
I have crabgrass all over the place, even after I applied something to kill it. I used something from Scott's in a yellow bag.
Anyway, now it looks like it's multiplied!!

My neighbor told me just yesterday to 'scalp' it??? Now, I just read where someone said Not to scalp it now.
It's warming up here. Spring is just around the corner.

What should I do?
I'm getting junk from my neighbors yard blowing into my yard. ( my other neighbor ) And all kinds of stuff is growing in my lawn.

I'd love to have some artificial turf!!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:02 PM

2,395 posts, read 1,607,726 times
I purchased a couple of bags of crabgrass preventer last month when I found some on sale for cheap. My zone 6b calendar is marked to put it down today but we're expecting more than an inch of rain this week.

I know it's best to apply the stuff and then get a 1/4 inch of rain but springs around my area always see torrential rains where we get 2-4 inches of rain in a week and I've always suspected that it just washes all the crabgrass preventer away.

in either case, I hope to get some down in the next few days. The crabgrass usually shows up late in the summer so I probably need to put down a second application in 3 months (June/july) just in case and then another application around january for winter weeds that are showing up now.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I have crabgrass all over the place, even after I applied something to kill it. I used something from Scott's in a yellow bag.
Anyway, now it looks like it's multiplied!!

My neighbor told me just yesterday to 'scalp' it??? Now, I just read where someone said Not to scalp it now.
It's warming up here. Spring is just around the corner.

What should I do?
I'm getting junk from my neighbors yard blowing into my yard. ( my other neighbor ) And all kinds of stuff is growing in my lawn.

I'd love to have some artificial turf!!

It sounds like you probably put down a weed and feed. I'm honestly not sure how effective that is on crabgrass, though I know it gets rid of dandelions and clover. You really need to wet your lawn prior to putting down a weed and feed so that it can stick to the weed's leaves killing it. You're also not supposed to water the lawn for about 2 days after putting down the weed and feed, so you wanna wait till there is no rain in the forecast. If either step wasn't done correctly it would have had very little positive effect on the lawn.

I'm a huge believer in the Bayer crabgrass killer:
Bayer Advanced 32 oz. Concentrate All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer-704140 - The Home Depot

I got a 4 gal sprayer from Harbor Freight for like $20, follow the instructions for mixing and just walk my property killing off any weed patches I see (I also add a little dish soap to the mix, this makes the spray stick to the weed rather than just bead up and roll off, handy little trick)

Last year I completely redid my whole lawn. Sprayed just about every part of it with the crabgrass killer, waited till it was all dead and dethatched the whole lawn with a dethatcher I rented from homedepot, sucked up all the dead crabgrass and thatch with the riding mower (the bags fill FAST). Then I put down a perennial rye as its one of the fastest growing grasses and I needed it to beat out any new crabgrass. I laid some starter fertilizer with the seed and watered 2 times a day for like 25 mins in each zone and a slight watering of about 5 mins per zone before bed. Only about 3 weeks later I had a lush, beautiful, green, crabgrass free lawn.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I purchased a couple of bags of crabgrass preventer last month when I found some on sale for cheap. My zone 6b calendar is marked to put it down today but we're expecting more than an inch of rain this week.

I know it's best to apply the stuff and then get a 1/4 inch of rain but springs around my area always see torrential rains where we get 2-4 inches of rain in a week and I've always suspected that it just washes all the crabgrass preventer away.

in either case, I hope to get some down in the next few days. The crabgrass usually shows up late in the summer so I probably need to put down a second application in 3 months (June/july) just in case and then another application around january for winter weeds that are showing up now.

I don't like taking my chances with crabgrass. Check your local soil temp (google search). If you get night time temps of 50+ degrees 3 days in a row its likely some of the crabgrass seeds are germinating. Crabgrass preventers stop crabgrass from germinating, so if some have already started you're losing the war.

I put mine down about 3 days ago, we're on our 2nd day of 50 degree soil temps, have an 80 degree today and the rest of the week looks to be high 60s with rain and most lows still in the 50s, so I'm happy I put down even though it felt a little early.

If you put down now you should water the lawn a bit after you do, this will help get the preventer into the soil and stop the likely hood of it all getting washed away should a sudden heavy downpour hit.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:00 AM

1,228 posts, read 788,677 times
Thanks ericp501. It was the right stuff from Scott's, and it did start to kill the crabgrass. Weather conditions were right.
Applied it twice. But I don't know what happened.

I will follow your instructions next time, the best I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden