U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,186,574 times
Reputation: 31516

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
April 10, 2017


Decided to check my soil temp. Both 4.5" down and 2" down. Similar results..





Just as I suspected.. Cold...Under 40F. No planting till Mid May here.

do you ever use poly to try and warm your garden plots up quicker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
do you ever use poly to try and warm your garden plots up quicker?
Good question. I assume you mean the black plastic stuff. I don't for couple reasons.


1. Air temp drops to 30s so whats the point in planting. Cool weather crops would do fine.
2. $$$ I'm about having a fresh garden without spending $$$
3. Need to till soil and want to take my time.
4. Not biodegradable
5. Rain wont get beneath and that's important around here to get the Spring soil moist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2017, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
Soil temp 4 inches below surface still cold but warmed up bigly from yesterdays heat.


38 yesterday morning to 45 this morning.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,186,574 times
Reputation: 31516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good question. I assume you mean the black plastic stuff. I don't for couple reasons.


1. Air temp drops to 30s so whats the point in planting. Cool weather crops would do fine.
2. $$$ I'm about having a fresh garden without spending $$$
3. Need to till soil and want to take my time.
4. Not biodegradable
5. Rain wont get beneath and that's important around here to get the Spring soil moist.

yeah, I meant just as a temporary cover to speed the soil warm-up along...I've been using (E Central Minnesota) the same couple sheets of black poly over and over again and it does seem to make a difference in the soil temps where I use it and where I don't and it keeps the weeds at bay. I was concerned about the inability to get moisture into the soil but we are pretty sandy here and it doesn't take too long upon removal to soak the frequent spring rains back into the soil.


Haven't put mine out yet but I'll do so this weekend and try and track the temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2017, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yeah, I meant just as a temporary cover to speed the soil warm-up along...I've been using (E Central Minnesota) the same couple sheets of black poly over and over again and it does seem to make a difference in the soil temps where I use it and where I don't and it keeps the weeds at bay. I was concerned about the inability to get moisture into the soil but we are pretty sandy here and it doesn't take too long upon removal to soak the frequent spring rains back into the soil.

Haven't put mine out yet but I'll do so this weekend and try and track the temps.
Lucky you, kinda, with the sandy soil.. Not here.. I got cement and I need all the moisture in there I can get. lol . 35 this morning. Even with a warm soil our last frost doesn't happen till early May so even with a warm soil, it's not like I can plant anything anyway... But I agree, would be nice to have the soil at 60 in Mid May instead of like 50. I might try it out one year. Thanks for the motivation.




After the few days finally being warm (June like for 2 days) here is the soil temp this morning... Still cold 4" down.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,229 posts, read 10,989,976 times
Reputation: 12162
Interesting! I should check the soil temp here just for the fun of it! Yesterday I was pulling some hen and chicks the deer destroyed (never mind the "deer resistant" theory) and soil still seems very cold. I know it was deer because of tracks and deposits!!!

Like Ghengis, sandy here, any added black soil, peat, whatever, immediately gets brown and gritty. Some areas of my yard I can dig down a foot or more to find bright gold beach sand. In Illinois, I had heavy clay, imagine my surprise the first time I dug here and it was so easy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting! I should check the soil temp here just for the fun of it!
You should, let me know what you got.


So I forgotten I left the probe in the garden and I went to check it yesterday 1pm. No sun.


See it?





It's actually 50 when you look straight down at it,. So the soil is definitely warming up 4" down now thanks to above freezing days and night and days in the 60s. Today 80s!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
From the source links in 1st post... Seems off for this area now but upper 40s would be close to actual..





This one more accurate. Showing 50s.


Soil Temperature Maps | GreenCast | Syngenta





Soil Temperatures - Soil Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,186,574 times
Reputation: 31516
I measured 46 this weekend in both the lawn and in one of my garden plots, will add the poly to one of the garden plots today....E Central MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,237 posts, read 46,573,909 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I measured 46 this weekend in both the lawn and in one of my garden plots, will add the poly to one of the garden plots today....E Central MN
Nice! My soil was up to 60 yesterday since the air hit 85! (it's happened before this early). But back to reality now so the soil should go back to near 50. Nice warm spike for it though. Weeds coming alive unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top