Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Sounds like Yellow jackets, which are in the wasp family. Quite aggressive little devils to say the least. They are not pollinators, so do what you must to get rid of them.
Yellow Jackets are not aggressive. You can run over the hole with the lawn mower and not even be stung. Also their stings are very mild and the pain does not last over 24 hours. I have probably been stung by yellow jackets more than any other bee because they are so common and they fly into your sodas when you are outside.

Leave them alone if you can. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. If you cannot, do not pour gas into their hole. Poor boiling water. That works and is better for the environment, especially your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Yellow Jackets are not aggressive.
The ones I've accidentally encountered were. Very much so.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:36 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
They are definitely angry if you go over their hole with a lawn mower. I know. Ouch!

Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Yellow Jackets are not aggressive. You can run over the hole with the lawn mower and not even be stung. Also their stings are very mild and the pain does not last over 24 hours. I have probably been stung by yellow jackets more than any other bee because they are so common and they fly into your sodas when you are outside.

Leave them alone if you can. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. If you cannot, do not pour gas into their hole. Poor boiling water. That works and is better for the environment, especially your yard.

You do not know what you're talking about.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
I garden a lot and the yellowjackets are not aggressive here. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. I have a 'live and let live' philosophy except for aphids and cabbage worms.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:

Yes, they ARE aggressive and when they sting you they hurt like HELL for hours! Leave them alone? I"ll leave them alone when they leave me alone. They gravitate to me because I must give off some kind of fear pheromone that attracts them.

I agree with dousing a nest with boiling water vs gasoline!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:

You've got to be kidding. Around my part of NJ, they are very aggressive. I recently had one sitting on the front grill of my car, unbeknownst to me. As I walked by my car (about 3 feet away from it), a yellow jacket flew out and stung me. For no reason. I was not bothering it, not even looking at it. And it wasn't near a nest, either. I have had encounters with aggressive yellow jackets around those underground tunnels (as have my dogs), too. I'm not ready to pour gasoline on them, but believe me, a few more incidents, and I will be thinking unpleasant thoughts about what to do with those critters.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 PM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Don't attack WASPS. Protestants never really bothered me much, not even my mother-in-law.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 PM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, they ARE aggressive and when they sting you they hurt like HELL for hours! Leave them alone? I"ll leave them alone when they leave me alone. They gravitate to me because I must give off some kind of fear pheromone that attracts them.

I agree with dousing a nest with boiling water vs gasoline!
They are aggressive in the Fall when their food sources dwindle. Watch out during your September and October BBQs.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Ya'll can play around with boiling water if you want to. By the time we carry the boiling kettle outside, lug it to where the nest is and hope we don't scald ourselves in the process, and then pour it down the hole, the water might not be hot enough to kill the suckers. My hubby and I will continue to use gasoline. Works for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden