Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,741,650 times

Advertisements

I'm moving in Jan. and I have several large plants that I haven't killed yet (I'm no green thumb) so I would like to take them with me. Can they go in the moving truck and does anyone have a suggestion how to "pack" them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,710,702 times
Sell them and buy new ones when you get there.

Never had to move plants long distance before. Sorry.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,961,236 times
I moved my favorite houseplants with me when I first moved from California to Nevada, but they froze to death in Las Vegas before I could get them back out...(it was very cold that autumn there). And when I moved from Las Vegas to Missouri, I wanted to take the African Violets (I had put a bunch of colors together in a large container and they had grown beautifully and were glossy and healthy...but...I didn't have a house to immediately move into and that would have required putting them in the back of my Tacoma while driving across the U.S. in June of last year, so I gave them to my neighbor. Moving companies pack several households into one truck, and things get crushed. I don't think they allow it. It can be done, you just have to take them yourself though if you want to make sure they'll be protected, and most people don't have room in their vehicles.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,053,564 times
The Venus flytrap is a moving plant. The leaves close when a fly touches it. Then the plant "eats" the fly!

Old 11-23-2006, 04:43 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times
It depends how far you are going, and yes, what the weather is like.
I was faced with this situation when we moved from Colorado to Florida.
The moving van would not take the plants. Some of mine were 25 years old!
I did advertise on Craigslist for one dracena that I had had forever; I wanted it to go to a good home. Another humungous rosemary plant went to a neighbor.
Now I have started over.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 PM

892 posts, read 2,367,263 times
I know a good way to pack roses is - pack saw dust around the roots, then newspaper, then soak in water, then put in plastic bag. Should keep for a few days. I would like to take my peach tree because it has the best peaches but I don't think it would be too wise.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,307 times
Default on moving plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm moving in Jan. and I have several large plants that I haven't killed yet (I'm no green thumb) so I would like to take them with me. Can they go in the moving truck and does anyone have a suggestion how to "pack" them?
If safely secured so that they do not fly around it should be fine. Potted plants? Correct. ??? Good luck

Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascencioncast View Post
If safely secured so that they do not fly around it should be fine. Potted plants? Correct. ??? Good luck
Yes they are potted plants, I'm really afraid of shocking them. I'm in NJ and moving in Jan. and driving 13 hours. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM

892 posts, read 2,367,263 times
Give them a dose of vitamin B for plants. You use it when transplanting to help reduce stress and help them grow. You'll find it in the garden section of any target, etc., store.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace View Post
Give them a dose of vitamin B for plants. You use it when transplanting to help reduce stress and help them grow. You'll find it in the garden section of any target, etc., store.
Thanks. What about Miracle Grow? If that's a dumb question, I said I'm not a green thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden