U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,160,827 times

Advertisements

Ideally if you are aerating in the fall, I would aerate, seed, then top dress.

You can also top dress in the spring.

I like Leafgro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
What time of the year is best for top dressing, and what do you use for top dressing?

I finally found some milorganite and ended up applying it around July14th. I figured applying a little late was better than none at all.

Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:18 PM

With all the recent rain and application of Milorganite put down several weeks ago, lawn is looking AMAZING!

Old 08-01-2018, 05:35 PM

1,857 posts, read 1,197,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
With all the recent rain and application of Milorganite put down several weeks ago, lawn is looking AMAZING!

My lawn is green due to the Milorganite, unfortunately though, we had enough of a month long drought before that, so I now have crabgrass everywhere.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 PM

275 posts, read 357,130 times
Same here, my lawn had some flare up of crabgrass in spots near the street as well as near the border of my neighbors who doesn't take care of their lawn aside from weekly mowing. I just spot spray and hand pull the young crabgrass seedlings before they get too big--Ortho will melt young crabgrass within 24 hours if you get them before they grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
My lawn is green due to the Milorganite, unfortunately though, we had enough of a month long drought before that, so I now have crabgrass everywhere.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Yikes!

Didnít you put down crabgrass preventer earlier this spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post

Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 7,372,039 times
Quote:
Yikes!

I should have "freshened" up my preventer in June I guess - the last few weeks with little rain have shown an explosion of crabgrass.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM

4,743 posts, read 8,508,319 times
I applied the final fertilizer of the season to my warm season bermudagrass lawn this past weekend. I've been looking for Milorganite or Ironite because they won't burn the grass, but no luck finding either, so I applied Vigoro (purchased at Big Orange) which 'guarantees' not to burn (doesn't require watering in). It's like a 29 Nitrogen, so I have a hard time believing their 'guarantee', but we'll see in a couple of days.

My next big lawn project will be applying pre-emergent in the fall.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 PM

1,857 posts, read 1,197,013 times
Quote:
Yikes!

No, I didn't get a chance to, too much going on this year. Everything was fine until I overseeded with a bag of Scott's grass seed. I think the whole bag was mostly crabgrass. The second bag I used is fine, but that first bag had crabgrass growing everywhere it was used.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 AM

Fortunately not a single sign of crabgrass this year.

One application of Dimension early April and then another application 90 days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Same here, my lawn had some flare up of crabgrass in spots near the street as well as near the border of my neighbors who doesn't take care of their lawn aside from weekly mowing. I just spot spray and hand pull the young crabgrass seedlings before they get too big--Ortho will melt young crabgrass within 24 hours if you get them before they grow.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 AM

275 posts, read 357,130 times
Not even in any of the areas by the curb/street? Those spots are almost impossible to keep free of crabgrass, especially if I am vigilant with my edging. Somehow, at least one crabgrass seeds will find its way there.

I'm complaining but it's actually not as bad as I had thought considering this year I went with one pre-emergent treatment at the start of March!

Quote:
Fortunately not a single sign of crabgrass this year.

One application of Dimension early April and then another application 90 days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or